0.14.0-0 alpha version is out

Herby Vojčík
(cli, devkit and amber itself; grunt init needs no upgrade)

Everything should work, unless you actually used some deprecated
features, in which case it should, of course, break (see list of
deprecations that were removed in wiki page
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/List-of-deprecations in
case of this kind of problems).

Herby

Eno

Re: 0.14.0-0 alpha version is out

Eno

That seemed to be a major remodeling?

As me, an infrequent visitor, sees, index.html format is quite different, All tutorial/wiki/exampales are broken....

Am I wrong?

Herby於 2014年12月26日星期五UTC+8下午10時20分09秒寫道:
(cli, devkit and amber itself; grunt init needs no upgrade)

Everything should work, unless you actually used some deprecated
features, in which case it should, of course, break (see list of
deprecations that were removed in wiki page
case of this kind of problems).

Herby

Re: 0.14.0-0 alpha version is out

Hannes Hirzel
0.14 compared to 0.13 is not a major remodeling.
Compared to 0.11 it is.

As for examples have a look at

     http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/trysmalltalk/

And most of the examples are in version 0.13

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples

(README.md needs to be updated)

0.13 examples should run fine in 0.14
   to be checked, help is welcome

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:
> 0.14 compared to 0.13 is not a major remodeling.
> Compared to 0.11 it is.

Ah. I did not presume you move from less than 0.13 (or even less than 0.12).

Maybe one of the best videos than could be done is to show porting of really old Amber-based project to 0.14. The general process (which Hannes got through a few times) is pretty straightforward: create new project with `amber init`, then look at the old project and migrate all infrastructural things (which packages to load, which are for testing, what external dependencies are there) into the new project, updating index.html, deploy.js, devel.js, *.amd.json for external deps and the Gruntfile.js. Then, .st files from old project could be moved to src directory (or if there was a layout of more directories with .st files, it can be copied as-is, src is just a convenience), updating local.amd.json, and run grunt, which should compile all the .st's into .js's.

A video showing this process on the middle-si
zed project (with deps, tests, etc.) would essentially show really much of how it is all composed so (with the exception of amber libs) everything infrastructural should be covered.

OTOH, it is still PITA, especially because of https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1012 which means one must mention more less same things twice (deploy.js / Gruntfile.js compile section; devel.js / Gruntfile.js test section). After solving the mentioned issue it is probably possible to reuse deploy.js and devel.js in Gruntfile.js as well, so it can be complete blackbox for those who don't want to bother (and all .st's will still compile and all tests will still be run).

Herby

Eno

Re: 0.14.0-0 alpha version is out

Eno

Thanks, the amber-examples in GitHub is ok.

By the professor's trysmalltalk instruction, I cloned the samples and ran "npm install" "bower install" and "grunt devel" in the subdirectories of /presensation and /trysmalltalk that are not resposive ,  the index.html could be rendered normally thereafter.

Best regards.