0.15 strategic vision

Herby Vojčík
Hello!

0.14 is not yet out, but is planned in end of the year, so I was
thinking about 0.15. After experiencing pains a few of people here has
with composing the Amber code pieces together in last days, I think I
should set strategic goals for 0.15 release, scheduled on Apr 1st
(hopefully 0.15 won't end up as a joke), this goal being

   Painless package / dependency management, reusability and modularity

There are things that are suboptimal in this field, while people are
eager to use Amber in big which necessitates modularization and reuse:

   - Amber packages only contain implicit dependencies (packages with
superclasses and/or extended classes must be loaded prior the package
itself). But a package may need to explictly list "imports" it want to
use, primarily among external JS libraries. Packages should be allowed
to specify explicit dependencies.

   - To compile .st into .js in cli, as well as to run test suites of a
project in cli, it is now needed to hand-customize Gruntfile.js. This
should not be needed.

   - An app itself defines what to load while in production / while in
development in deploy.js / devel.js files. Those need to be
hand-customized as well if there are new libraries / new packages. It
should be possible to manage contents of these files by more intuitive
fashion in IDE itself.

   - There are a few little perks that may need better interface. As an
example, renaming package, moving package to another namespace, and
greatly enhance creating and/or using Amber libraries.

The general vision is, people could create / use modules in Amber in IDE
itself, with as little pain as possible and ideally without touching
text editor because deploy.js / devel.js / Gruntfile.js* /
local.amd.json needs some change.

Herby

* Gruntfile.js should not be changed from IDE, that can break a lot of
things, especially when user added its own tasks to it / customized it
itself, but it should be made so it does not need to change for everyday
infrastructure changes to work

Re: 0.15 strategic vision

philippeback
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  - There are a few little perks that may need better interface. As an example, renaming package, moving package to another namespace, and loading a not-yet loaded package should be possible from IDE. This can greatly enhance creating and/or using Amber libraries.

The general vision is, people could create / use modules in Amber in IDE itself, with as little pain as possible and ideally without touching text editor because deploy.js / devel.js / Gruntfile.js* / local.amd.json needs some change.

Yes, this is smart. As this will be done in Helios, do we have someone able to do changes in there?

Phil

Herby

* Gruntfile.js should not be changed from IDE, that can break a lot of things, especially when user added its own tasks to it / customized it itself, but it should be made so it does not need to change for everyday infrastructure changes to work

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

Re: 0.15 strategic vision

Herby Vojčík

[hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello!
>
>     0.14 is not yet out, but is planned in end of the year, so I was
>     thinking about 0.15. After experiencing pains a few of people here
>     has with composing the Amber code pieces together in last days, I
>     think I should set strategic goals for 0.15 release, scheduled on
>     Apr 1st (hopefully 0.15 won't end up as a joke), this goal being
>
>        Painless package / dependency management, reusability and modularity
>
>     There are things that are suboptimal in this field, while people are
>     eager to use Amber in big which necessitates modularization and reuse:
>
>        - Amber packages only contain implicit dependencies (packages
>     with superclasses and/or extended classes must be loaded prior the
>     package itself). But a package may need to explictly list "imports"
>     it want to use, primarily among external JS libraries. Packages
>     should be allowed to specify explicit dependencies.
>
>        - To compile .st into .js in cli, as well as to run test suites
>     of a project in cli, it is now needed to hand-customize
>     Gruntfile.js. This should not be needed.
>
>        - An app itself defines what to load while in production / while
>     in development in deploy.js / devel.js files. Those need to be
>     hand-customized as well if there are new libraries / new packages.
>     It should be possible to manage contents of these files by more
>     intuitive fashion in IDE itself.
>
>        - There are a few little perks that may need better interface. As
>     an example, renaming package, moving package to another namespace,
>     and loading a not-yet loaded package should be possible from IDE.
>     This can greatly enhance creating and/or using Amber libraries.
>
>     The general vision is, people could create / use modules in Amber in
>     IDE itself, with as little pain as possible and ideally without
>     touching text editor because deploy.js / devel.js / Gruntfile.js* /
>     local.amd.json needs some change.
>

> Yes, this is smart. As this will be done in Helios, do we have someone
> able to do changes in there?

Not only in Helios. But no, we do not have such person.

That is in fact not that smart.