1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

solar_sea
Hi everyone,

I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
the workspace it self.

I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over ?

--
And let me congratulate everyone involved in Pharo, it looks really
polished and makes a very good first impression for newcommers to

Best regards,
Stanislav Paskalev

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Max Leske
Hi Stanislav

What image and vm version are you using?

Max

On 21.07.2010, at 21:47, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
> Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
> show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
> in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
> the workspace it self.
>
> I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over ?
>
> --
> And let me congratulate everyone involved in Pharo, it looks really
> polished and makes a very good first impression for newcommers to
> Smalltalk like me :)
>
> Best regards,
> Stanislav Paskalev

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

solar_sea
Hi Max,

I'm using Pharo.exe version 4.0.2 from 12th April 2010, together with
the said 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 PharoDev image and PharoV10.sources.

I've just noticed that the Inspect shortcut doesn't seem to work. I
can execute do it with ctrl+d, print it with ctrl+p and explore using
ctrl+shift+i, however plain ctrl+i for inspect is not working. When I
select it from the context menu, it's fine.

Stanislav Paskalev

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stanislav
>
> What image and vm version are you using?
>
> Max
>

> On 21.07.2010, at 21:47, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
>> Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
>> show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
>> in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
>> the workspace it self.
>>
>> I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over ?
>>
>> --
>> And let me congratulate everyone involved in Pharo, it looks really
>> polished and makes a very good first impression for newcommers to
>> Smalltalk like me :)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stanislav Paskalev

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Stan

First welcome. I noticed that too and I think that this is left over of a trace for trying to catch a bug related to shortcut.
We should spot it and remove it.

Stef

On Jul 21, 2010, at 9:47 PM, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
> Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
> show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
> in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
> the workspace it self.
>
> I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over ?
>
> --
> And let me congratulate everyone involved in Pharo, it looks really
> polished and makes a very good first impression for newcommers to
> Smalltalk like me :)
>
> Best regards,
> Stanislav Paskalev

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Max Leske
You shouldn't use the rc and beta builds. There's a lot of developement going on and you'll likely experience weird behaviour.
My advice: youse the PBE-image with the 4.0.2 vm.

You can get the image from here: Pharo By Example image

If you still experience problems, don't hesitate to ask again. We don't know everything :)

Max

On 21.07.2010, at 21:59, Stanislav Paskalev wrote:

[...]

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:11 10PM, Max Leske wrote:

You shouldn't use the rc and beta builds.
There's a lot of developement going on and you'll likely experience weird behaviour.
My advice: youse the PBE-image with the 4.0.2 vm.

You can get the image from here: Pharo By Example image

Well, shouldn't is a strong word, we do appreciate reports of issues in RC builds. :)
Going through the PBE as an intro to smalltalk, you'd probably appreciate the calmer waters of using the PBE-image as Max recommended though.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Stanislav Paskalev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
the workspace it self.

I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over ?

Welcome!

Exactly. I also noticed this and it is for sure a left over some debugging. What I am not sure if there is an open bug report for this.

Can someone check and open if it isn't ?

2010/7/21 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>

On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:11 10PM, Max Leske wrote:

You shouldn't use the rc and beta builds.
There's a lot of developement going on and you'll likely experience weird behaviour.
My advice: youse the PBE-image with the 4.0.2 vm.

You can get the image from here: Pharo By Example image

Well, shouldn't is a strong word, we do appreciate reports of issues in RC builds. :)

Yes, mostly becuase we are talking about a RELEASE CANDIDATE, which may not be the same as using a beta or unstable Pharo 1.2 for example.

Going through the PBE as an intro to smalltalk, you'd probably appreciate the calmer waters of using the PBE-image as Max recommended though.

yes

Cheers,
Henry

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

solar_sea
I understand, I will stick to the PBE image for the book.

Thanks everyone!

Stanislav Paskalev

2010/7/22 Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for the correction. I tried to say pretty much that but I guess it
> came out a bit wrong :p
> Max
>
> On 21.07.2010, at 23:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> 2010/7/21 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:11 10PM, Max Leske wrote:
>>
>> You shouldn't use the rc and beta builds.
>>
>> There's a lot of developement going on and you'll likely experience weird
>> behaviour.
>> My advice: youse the PBE-image with the 4.0.2 vm.
>> You can get the image from here: Pharo By Example image
>>
>> Well, shouldn't is a strong word, we do appreciate reports of issues in RC
>> builds. :)
>
> Yes, mostly becuase we are talking about a RELEASE CANDIDATE, which may not
> be the same as using a beta or unstable Pharo 1.2 for example.
>

>> Going through the PBE as an intro to smalltalk, you'd probably appreciate
>> the calmer waters of using the PBE-image as Max recommended though.
>

> yes
>

>> Cheers,
>> Henry

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Patrick Barroca
I opened this one
(http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2610) June 30, seems
to me that it describes the same behaviour

cheers,

2010/7/21 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Stanislav Paskalev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm going through the first chapter of Pharo by Example and the
>> Transcript morph behaves somewhat strange. When I type "Transcript
>> show: " into a workspace, every time I press space 2 numbers are shown
>> in the Transcript, they look like character indexes from the text from
>> the workspace it self.
>>
>> I believe this is non intentional, perhaps some debugging output left over
>> ?
>>

> Welcome!
>
> Exactly. I also noticed this and it is for sure a left over some debugging.
> What I am not sure if there is an open bug report for this.
>
> Can someone check and open if it isn't ?
>

>> --
>> And let me congratulate everyone involved in Pharo, it looks really
>> polished and makes a very good first impression for newcommers to
>> Smalltalk like me :)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stanislav Paskalev

Patrick Barroca

Re: 1.1-11409-rc4dev10.07.2 - Transcript behaving strange

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks. I recategorized it and  we should fix it.