[1.1] Object>>initialExtent

Alexandre Bergel
Hi!

I do not have a solution, but Object>>initialExtent was recently
deprecated and this causes great usability problem. This deprecation
is very valuable for a clean UI separation. However, I have a warning
deprecation each time a window is open. The reason stems from the
method:

SystemWindow>>initialExtent
        ^ model initialExtent

For now, in my image, I suppressed this deprecation.
Again, I do not have a clean solution.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [1.1] Object>>initialExtent

Michael Roberts-2
I ran into this as well.  I tried to avoid triggering the deprecation,
to see if the model understood initialExtent before sending it and
guarding for nil models and things like that. otherwise just
dispatching to the default extent, however this is difficult because
all objects understand initialExtent! i needed a method
respondsToButNotInObject:... at that point I got distracted.  it is
ugly to do this deep respondsTo: check so I was not sure what the
correct way of approaching this deprecation was. I assumed someone had
a nice solution when they deprecated it?

Mike

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I do not have a solution, but Object>>initialExtent was recently
> deprecated and this causes great usability problem. This deprecation
> is very valuable for a clean UI separation. However, I have a warning
> deprecation each time a window is open. The reason stems from the
> method:
>
> SystemWindow>>initialExtent
>        ^ model initialExtent
>
> For now, in my image, I suppressed this deprecation.
> Again, I do not have a clean solution.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: [1.1] Object>>initialExtent

Stéphane Ducasse
The user interface or the model should define the initialExtent
I do not understand why
        1 initialExtent makes sense.

We have to define initialExtent to some model.

Stef

> I ran into this as well.  I tried to avoid triggering the deprecation,
> to see if the model understood initialExtent before sending it and
> guarding for nil models and things like that. otherwise just
> dispatching to the default extent, however this is difficult because
> all objects understand initialExtent! i needed a method
> respondsToButNotInObject:... at that point I got distracted.  it is
> ugly to do this deep respondsTo: check so I was not sure what the
> correct way of approaching this deprecation was. I assumed someone had
> a nice solution when they deprecated it?
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I do not have a solution, but Object>>initialExtent was recently
>> deprecated and this causes great usability problem. This deprecation
>> is very valuable for a clean UI separation. However, I have a warning
>> deprecation each time a window is open. The reason stems from the
>> method:
>>
>> SystemWindow>>initialExtent
>>        ^ model initialExtent
>>
>> For now, in my image, I suppressed this deprecation.
>> Again, I do not have a clean solution.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: [1.1] Object>>initialExtent

Alain Plantec-4
Hi all,

RealEstateAgent already responds to standardWindowExtent and to set an initial extent
should be under the responsibility of the window manager (not the model).
From the World point of view, it's a layout managing related functionality. So, when
a window is added to the world, the World should set an initial extent as well as a
position to the window.
The world layout manager (maybe RealEstateAgent) could cache this information within
a dictionary keyed by the model class. The benefit would be that on re-opening, a
window size could be retrieved.

I've opened an issue

Cheers
Alain

Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> The user interface or the model should define the initialExtent
> I do not understand why
> 1 initialExtent makes sense.
>
> We have to define initialExtent to some model.
>
> Stef

Re: [1.1] Object>>initialExtent

Igor Stasenko
On 4 March 2010 21:43, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The user interface or the model should define the initialExtent
> I do not understand why
>        1 initialExtent makes sense.

:) me either. Obviously the problem is not in one who implements that
message, but
to whom this message should be directed.

> We have to define initialExtent to some model.
>
> Stef
>
>> I ran into this as well.  I tried to avoid triggering the deprecation,
>> to see if the model understood initialExtent before sending it and
>> guarding for nil models and things like that. otherwise just
>> dispatching to the default extent, however this is difficult because
>> all objects understand initialExtent! i needed a method
>> respondsToButNotInObject:... at that point I got distracted.  it is
>> ugly to do this deep respondsTo: check so I was not sure what the
>> correct way of approaching this deprecation was. I assumed someone had
>> a nice solution when they deprecated it?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I do not have a solution, but Object>>initialExtent was recently
>>> deprecated and this causes great usability problem. This deprecation
>>> is very valuable for a clean UI separation. However, I have a warning
>>> deprecation each time a window is open. The reason stems from the
>>> method:
>>>
>>> SystemWindow>>initialExtent
>>>        ^ model initialExtent
>>>
>>> For now, in my image, I suppressed this deprecation.
>>> Again, I do not have a clean solution.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --