12186 image quit problem

123

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko
also, it 'hangs' because
 InputEventSensor>>shutdown
runs before MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown

So, you can't interrupt it with alt-. , because nobody handles it anymore.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
> This is reproducible for me if I do:
>
> Gofer new
>  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>  package: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser';
>  load.
>
>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load
>
> Find the error log attached.
During load , it says that
FFI-Pools.em.2 does not exists.
But i picked ar.1 version and continued,
that save&quit
everything works well

It should be FFI-Pools.eem.2.

Levente

> Alex
>
> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
>> Just when I was about to test drive Torstens configuration of
>> ExternalWebBrowser, the image hangs somewhere while loading. I'm able
>> to abort it and find myself in some ensure block of an crticial
>> section of WeakArray finalization?! Trying to quit just hangs the
>> image for good.
>> BTW, this is on Windows.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>>> Strange...
>>> Linux VM 4.0.3.2202 from squeakvm.org worked well and your prebuilt image
>>> works with all this three virtual machines. Any idea why?
>>> -- Pavel

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

laza
2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
> On un*x you can send SIGUSR1 to the process of the VM to make it print all
> stacks. IIRC Cog uses this signal for another purpose, so it doesn't work
> with Cog.

I think it's like that: On a vanilla/standard unix vm SIGUSR1 just
terminates the vm. With a cog vm you trigger a printAllStacks with
that Signal.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/152001.html

Alex

Re: 12186 image quit problem

laza
.. or you have a very recent OSProcessPlugin and activate SIGUSR1

2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On un*x you can send SIGUSR1 to the process of the VM to make it print all
>> stacks. IIRC Cog uses this signal for another purpose, so it doesn't work
>> with Cog.
>
> I think it's like that: On a vanilla/standard unix vm SIGUSR1 just
> terminates the vm. With a cog vm you trigger a printAllStacks with
> that Signal.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/152001.html
>
> Alex

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko
2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
>> This is reproducible for me if I do:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>  package: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser';
>>  load.
>>
>>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load
>>
>> Find the error log attached.
>
> During load , it says that
> FFI-Pools.em.2 does not exists.
> But i picked ar.1 version and continued,
> that save&quit
> everything works well
>

> It should be FFI-Pools.eem.2.

whatever.. config fails to locate this file. Its not my fault :)

> Levente
>

>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Just when I was about to test drive Torstens configuration of
>>> ExternalWebBrowser, the image hangs somewhere while loading. I'm able
>>> to abort it and find myself in some ensure block of an crticial
>>> section of WeakArray finalization?! Trying to quit just hangs the
>>> image for good.
>>> BTW, this is on Windows.
>>>
>>> Alex

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
>> This is reproducible for me if I do:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>  package: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser';
>>  load.
>>
>>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load
>>
>> Find the error log attached.
>
> During load , it says that
> FFI-Pools.em.2 does not exists.
> But i picked ar.1 version and continued,
> that save&quit
> everything works well
>

> It should be FFI-Pools.eem.2.

whatever.. config fails to locate this file. Its not my fault :)

Maybe I wasn't clear. I tried to say that the configuration should be
fixed, because it contains a typo. FFI-Pools.em.2 doesn't exist, it
should be FFI-Pools.eem.2.

Levente

> Levente
>

>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/10/8 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Just when I was about to test drive Torstens configuration of
>>> ExternalWebBrowser, the image hangs somewhere while loading. I'm able
>>> to abort it and find myself in some ensure block of an crticial
>>> section of WeakArray finalization?! Trying to quit just hangs the
>>> image for good.
>>> BTW, this is on Windows.
>>>
>>> Alex

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On un*x you can send SIGUSR1 to the process of the VM to make it print all
>> stacks. IIRC Cog uses this signal for another purpose, so it doesn't work
>> with Cog.
>
> I think it's like that: On a vanilla/standard unix vm SIGUSR1 just
> terminates the vm. With a cog vm you trigger a printAllStacks with
> that Signal.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/152001.html
Indeed. Thanks for clarifying.

Levente

> Alex

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Not sure I follow.  Is this saying that one chooses between the default console output and printAllStacks(), or is it making printAllStacks() happen in response to the signal and leaving the usual output in place too?  I guess another option might be that all stacks get printed instead of just the active process??

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2010/10/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On un*x you can send SIGUSR1 to the process of the VM to make it print all
>> stacks. IIRC Cog uses this signal for another purpose, so it doesn't work
>> with Cog.
>
> I think it's like that: On a vanilla/standard unix vm SIGUSR1 just
> terminates the vm. With a cog vm you trigger a printAllStacks with
> that Signal.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/152001.html

Indeed. Thanks for clarifying.

Levente

> Alex

Re: 12186 image quit problem

laza
Igor,

maybe this just passed me by, but is this supposed to work only with
some finalization support in the vm? So is PharoCore1.2 only usable
with a very recent vm? Which VMMaker version is needed or what does
your squeak -version say?
In that case I did not say a word! ;)

Alex

2010/10/8 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> No, we loaded:
>>>
>>> Issue 3002:     A new finalization code ready for integration in Pharo
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3002
>>
>> ok, can you reproduce this on your VM?
>> - take prebuilt 12186
>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>>  SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.
>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
>> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>>

> The problem is in MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown.
>
> Saving works, if i change it to:
>
> shutDown
> "       WeakArray removeWeakDependent: Definitions."
>        Definitions := nil.
>
> Not sure what happens there..
>
> Also, it runs without fix, if i do:
>
> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.
> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>

>> -- Pavel

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko
On 8 October 2010 19:54, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor,
>
> maybe this just passed me by, but is this supposed to work only with
> some finalization support in the vm? So is PharoCore1.2 only usable
> with a very recent vm? Which VMMaker version is needed or what does
> your squeak -version say?
> In that case I did not say a word! ;)

nope, it should work w/o problems with older vms.
It runs w/o problems in windoze with following vms:

Smalltalk vmVersion
  'Squeak3.10.2 of 11 February 2010 [latest update: #9314]'

WeakFinalizationList hasNewFinalization
  false

Smalltalk vmVersion
 'Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957]'

WeakFinalizationList hasNewFinalization
  true

> Alex
>
> 2010/10/8 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> 2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:

>>> ok, can you reproduce this on your VM?
>>> - take prebuilt 12186
>>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>>>  SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.
>>> - run the image with a file as argument that contains:
>>> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
>>> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>>>

>> The problem is in MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown.
>>
>> Saving works, if i change it to:
>>
>> shutDown
>> "       WeakArray removeWeakDependent: Definitions."
>>        Definitions := nil.
>>
>> Not sure what happens there..
>>
>> Also, it runs without fix, if i do:
>>
>> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.
>> 5 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
>> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.
>>

>>> -- Pavel

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Pavel Krivanek-3

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Marcus,
> is that really all what happened between 12172 and 12186?
>
> update12186
> Issue 3071: fixing timestamp tests
> Issue 3068: Non portable SmalltalkImage>>platformName deprecationWarning
> Issue 3063: removing explain
> Issue 3039: There should not be any configuration on Core
> It doesn't explain the problems with VM versions and in 12186 I cannot build
> the PharoKernel (it hangs without error in unload phase)
> -- Pavel

please , tell me if it keep hanging after you doing:

WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.

it seems like a deadlock with WeakArray's FinalizationLock or
FinalizationSemaphore.

it hangs for me...

-- Pavel

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Pavel Krivanek-3

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Marcus,
> is that really all what happened between 12172 and 12186?
>
> update12186
> Issue 3071: fixing timestamp tests
> Issue 3068: Non portable SmalltalkImage>>platformName deprecationWarning
> Issue 3063: removing explain
> Issue 3039: There should not be any configuration on Core
> It doesn't explain the problems with VM versions and in 12186 I cannot build
> the PharoKernel (it hangs without error in unload phase)
> -- Pavel

please , tell me if it keep hanging after you doing:

WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.

it seems like a deadlock with WeakArray's FinalizationLock or
FinalizationSemaphore.

it hangs for me...

-- Pavel

with the MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown hack it work well

-- Pavel

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko
2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi Marcus,
>> > is that really all what happened between 12172 and 12186?
>> >
>> > update12186
>> > Issue 3071: fixing timestamp tests
>> > Issue 3068: Non portable SmalltalkImage>>platformName deprecationWarning
>> > Issue 3063: removing explain
>> > Issue 3039: There should not be any configuration on Core
>> > It doesn't explain the problems with VM versions and in 12186 I cannot
>> > build
>> > the PharoKernel (it hangs without error in unload phase)
>> > -- Pavel
>> >
>> please , tell me if it keep hanging after you doing:
>>
>> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.
>>
>> it seems like a deadlock with WeakArray's FinalizationLock or
>> FinalizationSemaphore.
>
> it hangs for me...

hmm. strange. i can't reproduce this anymore (even after taking fresh
12186 image).

> -- Pavel

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor Stasenko
2010/10/8 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> please , tell me if it keep hanging after you doing:
>>>
>>> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess.
>>>
>>> it seems like a deadlock with WeakArray's FinalizationLock or
>>> FinalizationSemaphore.
>>
>> it hangs for me...
>> -- Pavel
>
> with the MCMethodDefinition>>shutdown hack it work well

so, at least we know what causing it.

Now i wonder, what may cause that
   WeakArray classPool at: #FinalizationLock
get locked by some other process and not released anymore?

> -- Pavel

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Igor

Is it also related to
too?

Stef

On 9 October 2010 09:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor
>
> Is it also related to
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3048
> too?

related? not quite. However by fixing it we at least hide the problem.

Somehow , removing weakdependent during shutdown leads to semaphore deadlock.
But i don't think that it exactly because MCMethodDefinition registers
weakdependent.
It could be any other thing, which registers weakdependent and then
tries to remove it from weakdependents during
shutdown.

It also quite hard to reproduce.  I was able to lock image few times
using script , which Pavel provided.
But then running same image with same VM again, didn't lead to lock.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 9 October 2010 09:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor
>
> Is it also related to
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3048
> too?

related? not quite. However by fixing it we at least hide the problem.

Somehow , removing weakdependent during shutdown leads to semaphore deadlock.
But i don't think that it exactly because MCMethodDefinition registers
weakdependent.
It could be any other thing, which registers weakdependent and then
tries to remove it from weakdependents during
shutdown.

It also quite hard to reproduce.  I was able to lock image few times
using script , which Pavel provided.
But then running same image with same VM again, didn't lead to lock.

It's probably easy to find the cause of the deadlock if you're able to
print the stacks.

Levente

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Sig,

Ignore this if you see fit; it might not apply, but don't dismiss it too quickly - it will apply somewhere, somehow.  First, are these things happening on shutdown, or on image save?  I ask because while they seem to be getting straightened out over time, those concepts have long been intermingled to disadvantage that appears to be greatly underestimated.

The correct solution to many startup/shtudown cleanup takes some adjustment.  Image save is nothing - ignore it.  Shutdown can almost be ignored, though it is wise and polite to try to clean up external resources, and we should have good tools for developers wanting/needing to do so in their own programs.  A good OS will clean up resources when something quits, but Andreas and others would point out that there might not be an OS, or it might have been written in the north western US :)

The real house cleaning magic happens on startup - all the stuff you bravely ignored on save is now, finally, junk and needs to be discarded.  By following this approach, an image save is no big deal, the system does the best it can to clean up after itself on shutdown, and things that were retained post-save (because the image needs to be able to plod along as though nothing happened) get chopped out early in startup and lazily recreated when appropriate.

Bill

On 9 October 2010 09:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor
>
> Is it also related to
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3048
> too?

related? not quite. However by fixing it we at least hide the problem.

Somehow , removing weakdependent during shutdown leads to semaphore deadlock.
But i don't think that it exactly because MCMethodDefinition registers
weakdependent.
It could be any other thing, which registers weakdependent and then
tries to remove it from weakdependents during
shutdown.

It also quite hard to reproduce.  I was able to lock image few times
using script , which Pavel provided.
But then running same image with same VM again, didn't lead to lock.

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

But remember it is far more efficient in start-up time to use a weak collection of objects that need to be junked/voided/finalized than an allInstancesDo: or two.  I made VisualWorks start up about 4 times quicker by e.g. keeping font instances in a collection for voiding their handles on start-up.

Bill

On 9 October 2010 09:02, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor
>
> Is it also related to
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3048
> too?

related? not quite. However by fixing it we at least hide the problem.

Somehow , removing weakdependent during shutdown leads to semaphore deadlock.
But i don't think that it exactly because MCMethodDefinition registers
weakdependent.
It could be any other thing, which registers weakdependent and then
tries to remove it from weakdependents during
shutdown.

It also quite hard to reproduce.  I was able to lock image few times
using script , which Pavel provided.
But then running same image with same VM again, didn't lead to lock.

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: 12186 image quit problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
No argument there.  You might have had better weak collections to work with, but hopefully things like Cog and Sig's finalization improvements will give us similar advantages.  Either way, it is important to have good session start/stop awareness and to sever ties at the right time (and to not do so at the wrong times).