2 days vs 2 day

Edouard Poor
I ran across this across this a couple week ago but didn't know whether to enter a defect for it or not.

"2 days" evaluates to a duration of 2 days but,
"2 day" evaluates to a duration of 1 day.

I've been thinking about it, and I think I can understand who this came about, but silently giving a user the wrong answer if they mistype "days" or write some code like "[ :n | n day ]" (I did this one) seems wrong. If "day" should only answer with the singular value, than perhaps it should throw an exception for any values other than -1 or 1.

I'd actually prefer it just called days, and damn English grammar.

So what do you think, should I enter a defect or not?

(Also I'm new to the community, so I wasn't even sure where I should ask a question like this!)

Cheers,
Edouard.

Re: 2 days vs 2 day

Johan Brichau-2
+ 1

The method makes _no_ sense at all.

On 26 Feb 2011, at 10:40, Edouard Poor wrote:

> I've been thinking about it, and I think I can understand who this came about, but silently giving a user the wrong answer if they mistype "days" or write some code like "[ :n | n day ]" (I did this one) seems wrong. If "day" should only answer with the singular value, than perhaps it should throw an exception for any values other than -1 or 1.
>
> I'd actually prefer it just called days, and damn English grammar.

Re: 2 days vs 2 day

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Edouard Poor <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ran across this across this a couple week ago but didn't know whether to enter a defect for it or not.

"2 days" evaluates to a duration of 2 days but,
"2 day" evaluates to a duration of 1 day.

I have to admit that sounds weird

I've been thinking about it, and I think I can understand who this came about, but silently giving a user the wrong answer if they mistype "days" or write some code like "[ :n | n day ]" (I did this one) seems wrong. If "day" should only answer with the singular value, than perhaps it should throw an exception for any values other than -1 or 1.

I'd actually prefer it just called days, and damn English grammar.

So what do you think, should I enter a defect or not?

(Also I'm new to the community, so I wasn't even sure where I should ask a question like this!)

welcome!!  yes, this is the perfect place to ask

cheers

mariano