20 Years of Squeak

12

20 Years of Squeak

Chris Muller-3
> As these dates suggest, our goal is to have the release before this year's
> ESUG. However, there is another important Smalltalk-related event this year:
> 20 years of Squeak. :-) Yeah! It was around October 1996, when the first
> Squeak came into the world. ...having its own worlds. :D So, it would only
> make sense to also have a special release for this birthday. For this, we
> revived all of the cool multimedia content, known from Squeak 1 through
> Squeak 3, and made it fit for the current Squeak code base. Oh, this is so
> exciting. :-)

This is awesome and deserves its own thread!!

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As these dates suggest, our goal is to have the release before this year's
> ESUG. However, there is another important Smalltalk-related event this year:
> 20 years of Squeak. :-) Yeah! It was around October 1996, when the first
> Squeak came into the world. ...having its own worlds. :D So, it would only
> make sense to also have a special release for this birthday. For this, we
> revived all of the cool multimedia content, known from Squeak 1 through
> Squeak 3, and made it fit for the current Squeak code base. Oh, this is so
> exciting. :-)

This is awesome and deserves its own thread!!

+1

- Bert -

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As these dates suggest, our goal is to have the release before this year's
> ESUG. However, there is another important Smalltalk-related event this year:
> 20 years of Squeak. :-) Yeah! It was around October 1996, when the first
> Squeak came into the world. ...having its own worlds. :D So, it would only
> make sense to also have a special release for this birthday. For this, we
> revived all of the cool multimedia content, known from Squeak 1 through
> Squeak 3, and made it fit for the current Squeak code base. Oh, this is so
> exciting. :-)

This is awesome and deserves its own thread!!

+1

Could design a t-shirt? I imagine something like "20 Years of Squeak" and a big Squeak logo surrounded by the big projects that came out of Squeak (Etoys, Scratch, Croquet, Seaside, Pharo, Cuis, OpenSmalltalk, NewSpeak ...)

- Bert -

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:56:54AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> year's
> >> year:
> >> only
> >> we
> >> so
> >>
> >> This is awesome and deserves its own thread!!
> >>

> > +1
> >

> Could design a t-shirt? I imagine something like "20 Years of Squeak" and a
> big Squeak logo surrounded by the big projects that came out of Squeak
> (Etoys, Scratch, Croquet, Seaside, Pharo, Cuis, OpenSmalltalk, NewSpeak ...)

Good idea. I want one :-)

Dave

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

timrowledge

> On 14-07-2016, at 5:22 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:56:54AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>

>> Could design a t-shirt? I imagine something like "20 Years of Squeak" and a
>> big Squeak logo surrounded by the big projects that came out of Squeak
>> (Etoys, Scratch, Croquet, Seaside, Pharo, Cuis, OpenSmalltalk, NewSpeak ...)
>>

> Good idea. I want one :-)

Then you shall have one, young man.

Once we agree on a suitable list of endorsements I can easily build the graphic and we can emplace it on Tshirts, sweats, websites, condoms, office buildings as appropriate.

This is also a good time to mention the Magic Donate Button on squeak.org.
A lot of people have had a lot of fun using Squeak over the last 20 years. A non-trivial number have made a good deal of money from using it. Several companies have done well from it. Time to give back a bit.

How about a personal dollar-a-year? How about a business dollar-a-day? For US based donors, the Squeak Foundation is a chapter of the Software Freedom Conservancy and thus donations are mostly tax-deductable ( see https://sfconservancy.org/donate/) so how about making it a dollar-33-a-day?

tim
Useful random insult:- So dumb, blondes tell jokes about him.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

timrowledge
So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of Squeak over the last 20 years?

I’ll start with the ones I can remember:

Scratch
eToys
Spoon
Cuis
Pharo
Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
Sophie
exobox
MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret nobody knew when it died!)
WeatherDimensions
MathMorphs
Kedama
Frank
Nile
Balloon3D

If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can design a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of a swiki page, if indeed it isn’t already.

tim
Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

20 Years of Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim,

Don't forget Seaside (even though I think it started in Pharo, still that counts) and the fact
that it has spread to many other Smalltalks like VA Smalltalk, etc.

Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

timrowledge

> On 06-09-2016, at 10:32 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Don't forget Seaside

Of course!

> (even though I think it started in Pharo, still that counts)

It would indeed count even if that were true but in fact Seaside predates Pharo by many years.
Which of course raises the question of which Pharo related projects should go on the list? I have no idea but I bet others do...

tim
Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.

20 Years of Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:40:21 -0700, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> (even though I think it started in Pharo, still that counts)
>
>It would indeed count even if that were true but in fact Seaside predates Pharo by many years.
>Which of course raises the question of which Pharo related projects should go on the list? I have no idea but I bet others do...
>tim

My mistake, I didn't realize, I thought I first heard about it being released on Pharo.  All
the better:))

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

cbc

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

cbc
I think Dr. Geo was originally on Squeak (at least, it was on the squeak list back in 2007).
-cbc

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06-09-2016, at 10:32 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Don't forget Seaside

Of course!

> (even though I think it started in Pharo, still that counts)

It would indeed count even if that were true but in fact Seaside predates Pharo by many years.
Which of course raises the question of which Pharo related projects should go on the list? I have no idea but I bet others do...

tim
Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On Wednesday, 7 September 2016, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Refactoring Browser!

Do you mean OmniBrowser? I think RB is older.

We should only list projects that genuinely started with Squeak (even if some of our children disclaim their heritage). And we should acknowledge Smalltalk-80 if possible. I'll leave that to the designer ;)

- Bert -

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
How about Pyonkee? Most prominent Squeak app in the iOS App Store I'd say.

Also, impara's Plopp. Invented the "all-in-one" VM+image bundle, and actually was on store shelves in a shiny box on CD-ROM.

Also maybe VMs? Cog, RSqueak, SqueakJS?

- Bert -

tim Rowledge; <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;tim@rowledge.org&#39;)">tim@...; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Ben Coman
Did JUnit derive from SUnit?  Some directed arrows showing Smalltalk
ideas moving into other domains might be interesting.

cheers -ben

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:12:52PM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
> Did JUnit derive from SUnit?  Some directed arrows showing Smalltalk
> ideas moving into other domains might be interesting.
>
> cheers -ben

Yes it originated in Smalltalk, but it predates Squeak.

Kent Beck gets the credit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUnit

As a separate exercise, it might be fun to compile a list of good
ideas that started in Smalltalk, but were later advertised as amazing
new technology in e.g. Java ;-)

Dave

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > How about Pyonkee? Most prominent Squeak app in the iOS App Store I'd say.
> >
> > Also, impara's Plopp. Invented the "all-in-one" VM+image bundle, and
> > actually was on store shelves in a shiny box on CD-ROM.
> >
> > Also maybe VMs? Cog, RSqueak, SqueakJS?
> >
> > - Bert -
> >

> > On Tuesday, 6 September 2016, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of
> >> Squeak over the last 20 years?
> >>
> >> I???ll start with the ones I can remember:
> >>
> >> Scratch
> >> eToys
> >> Spoon
> >> Cuis
> >> Pharo
> >> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
> >> Sophie
> >> exobox
> >> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret
> >> nobody knew when it died!)
> >> WeatherDimensions
> >> MathMorphs
> >> Kedama
> >> Frank
> >> Nile
> >> Balloon3D
> >>
> >> If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can design
> >> a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of a swiki page, if
> >> indeed it isn???t already.
> >>
> >> tim
> >> --
> >> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> >> Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 07/09/16 15:26, David T. Lewis wrote:
> As a separate exercise, it might be fun to compile a list of good
> ideas that started in Smalltalk, but were later advertised as amazing
> new technology in e.g. Java ;-)

Sorry Dave, can't print those on a T-shirt in a readable size.

Stephan

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

David T. Lewis
> On 07/09/16 15:26, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> As a separate exercise, it might be fun to compile a list of good
>> ideas that started in Smalltalk, but were later advertised as amazing
>> new technology in e.g. Java ;-)
>
> Sorry Dave, can't print those on a T-shirt in a readable size.
>
> Stephan

Maybe we could sell them only in extra-long shirt sizes.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

timrowledge

> On 07-09-2016, at 9:49 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/09/16 15:26, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>> As a separate exercise, it might be fun to compile a list of good
>>> ideas that started in Smalltalk, but were later advertised as amazing
>>> new technology in e.g. Java ;-)
>>
>> Sorry Dave, can't print those on a T-shirt in a readable size.
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> Maybe we could sell them only in extra-long shirt sizes.

I understand there are applications that can take large datasets and create directed graphs to illustrate the connections. I think we might need a very large poster printer to produce a hard-copy version. Like https://charge.wisc.edu/botany/images/Tree_of_life_1000w.png

But I really don’t think anything like every interesting idea is going to fit on a Tshirt. I think probably more like 20 (seems a propitious number) items would be good.

tim
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
If you want to add SilliconSqueak to the list of Squeak based projects,
you might find the slides for my PhD defense interesting (sadly in Prezi
instead of Squeak, unlike many of my other presentations):

> https://prezi.com/yhw-a3i0rnri/adaptive-compilation-for-an-object-oriented-and-reconfigurab/

-- Jecel

12