2D and 3D Function Graphing?

David Faught
Rich Warren wrote:

>Are there any packages that handle 3d function graphing (like a
>graphing calculator).

Not that I know of.  There is a 2D data point plotter called PlotMorph
on SqueakMap at http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/packagesbyname

>I saw a sample here: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3231, but he
>didn't say how the graphs were made. Is there an easy way to do this
>in Balloon?

The 2D WavyLines display was done with a series of simple open
PolygonMorphs which were scaled by the data series maximums and
minimums to fit the display area.  The 3D plot on the SWiki page you
referenced was done by constructing a triangle mesh from the data
points.  I copied one of the examples in the Balloon3D-Tutorial-Demos
(which is in the Squeak 3.8 "full" distribution) and modified it to
display my mesh.

You might also want to look at the PTexture.cs.gz example code towards
the bottom of the page at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/croquet/ProceduralTextures which is a
fairly simple example of a contour plot.

>I also saw KGraph, but it won't install.

As Josh says, this is for a different class of graphs, not what you want to do.

>Function Plotters (http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~caniglia/Andres/
>fplot23.zip) also looks good, but it dies after trying to send
>messages to nil when I try to load it.

This does look pretty cool.  I suspect that it was written for a
different version of Squeak than you are running.  There could be some
other mismatch that is causing the undefined object reference.  Maybe
you could forward the entire walkback listing?  It should also be at
the end of the SqueakDebug.log in the Squeak base directory.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Rich Warren puso en su mail :

> Are there any packages that handle 3d function graphing (like a
> graphing calculator).

http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~caniglia/Andres/gallery.html
This graphs could be done with MathMorphs .
I do a port to 3.9 a few monts ago.
Also I have a minimal image SqueakLightMW.2.zip , in case you need.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:49:30AM -0500, David Faught wrote:
> Rich Warren wrote:
>
> >Are there any packages that handle 3d function graphing (like a
> >graphing calculator).
>
> Not that I know of.  There is a 2D data point plotter called PlotMorph
> on SqueakMap at http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/packagesbyname

This turns out to be a very cool package by the way. I used it once
for some data analysis, and discovered to my surprise and delight that
the points on my graph could be clicked to explore the objects behind
them. With a little bit of tweaking, I soon had something that looked
like an ordinary 2-D graph, but it reality was a fully interactive
browser for a complicated set of data. Really nice.

Dave

Re: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Rich Warren

On Aug 25, 2006, at 3:04 AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Rich Warren puso en su mail :
>

>> Are there any packages that handle 3d function graphing (like a
>> graphing calculator).
>
> http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~caniglia/Andres/gallery.html
> This graphs could be done with MathMorphs .
> I do a port to 3.9 a few monts ago.
> Also I have a minimal image SqueakLightMW.2.zip , in case you need.
>
> Edgar

The old MathMorphs is actually where I found the Function Plotter
(which I think may just be 2d, not sure about that). Where can I find
the 3.9 port? I didn't see anything on SqueakMap, and the project in
SqueakSource seemed empty (though I didn't actually try connecting to
the repository).

-Rich-

Re: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Rich Warren puso en su mail :

> The old MathMorphs is actually where I found the Function Plotter
> (which I think may just be 2d, not sure about that). Where can I find
> the 3.9 port? I didn't see anything on SqueakMap, and the project in
> SqueakSource seemed empty (though I didn't actually try connecting to
> the repository).
>
> -Rich-

Milan should put the last on SqueakSource, some missunderstanding.

Tomorrow I put all .morphs converted to 3.9 in :
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/MathMorphs what Serge created

And
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/MathMorphs_Revival_Project.

I suppose is 2d package, my interest is not math , is about
also in 3.9.
Most of original code works in 3.9 with some adaptation, I check and
actualize info.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

RV: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Edgar J. De Cleene

Rich Warren puso en su mail :

> The old MathMorphs is actually where I found the Function Plotter
> (which I think may just be 2d, not sure about that). Where can I find
> the 3.9 port? I didn't see anything on SqueakMap, and the project in
> SqueakSource seemed empty (though I didn't actually try connecting to
> the repository).
>
> -Rich-

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/5855/MorphicWrappers.cs.gz

Here you got the last what lets XYPlotter example1  asMorph openInWorld
working.
Some is still buggy in Squeak 3.9b 7054, I fix as soon as could.

Also I put two "intelligent" morphs converted from old code what could load
in 3.9 without load the rest of MorphicWrappers or another code

ModularIntegers.morph.gz
LinearAlgebraI.morph.gz

Enjoy.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Drawing lines in Balloon3D?

Rich Warren
Does anyone know how to draw lines in Balloon3D? I want to add
simple, straight lines to a surface graph (based on the surface graph
tutorial).

Thanks,

-Rich-

Re: RV: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Milan Zimmermann-2
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for putting it up. Earlier, (about a month ago) I have converted your
MorphicWrapper changeset to .mcz. I started working on MathMorphs when I got
stalled by work, vacation, life, and other roadblocks. I will try to finish
that during next 2 weeks, or at least find it is not that easy. Hopefully
having it in .mcz would make collaboration easier.

Later, Milan

On 2006 August 26 06:58, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Rich Warren puso en su mail :
> > The old MathMorphs is actually where I found the Function Plotter
> > (which I think may just be 2d, not sure about that). Where can I find
> > the 3.9 port? I didn't see anything on SqueakMap, and the project in
> > SqueakSource seemed empty (though I didn't actually try connecting to
> > the repository).
> >
> > -Rich-
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/5855/MorphicWrappers.cs.gz
>
> Here you got the last what lets XYPlotter example1  asMorph openInWorld
> working.
> Some is still buggy in Squeak 3.9b 7054, I fix as soon as could.
>
> Also I put two "intelligent" morphs converted from old code what could load
> in 3.9 without load the rest of MorphicWrappers or another code
>
> ModularIntegers.morph.gz
> LinearAlgebraI.morph.gz
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Edgar

> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> ¡Probalo ya!
> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: Drawing lines in Balloon3D?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 28.08.2006 um 03:26 schrieb Rich Warren:

> Does anyone know how to draw lines in Balloon3D? I want to add
> simple, straight lines to a surface graph (based on the surface
> graph tutorial).

It's not supported by the plugin. There are hooks for polylines in
the API though, I once implemented those using Balloon2D (meaning
they could not be hidden behind a 3D mesh). Very long time ago, not
sure if I can find it - it was more a hack than anything else.

Your best bet would be to just construct a tube mesh connecting the
nodes.

- Bert -

On Aug 27, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 28.08.2006 um 03:26 schrieb Rich Warren:
>
>> Does anyone know how to draw lines in Balloon3D? I want to add
>> simple, straight lines to a surface graph (based on the surface
>> graph tutorial).
>
> It's not supported by the plugin. There are hooks for polylines in
> the API though, I once implemented those using Balloon2D (meaning
> they could not be hidden behind a 3D mesh). Very long time ago, not
> sure if I can find it - it was more a hack than anything else.
>
> Your best bet would be to just construct a tube mesh connecting the
> nodes.
>
> - Bert -

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping to make lines that would
appear at a given width regardless of the distance to the camera.
These would be the X, Y and Z origins for a data surface, so  they
would need to be able to correctly penetrate solid objects.

The tube idea is probably the best bet--though they may disappear
when I zoom out.

-Rich-

Rich Warren schrieb:

> On Aug 27, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Am 28.08.2006 um 03:26 schrieb Rich Warren:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to draw lines in Balloon3D? I want to add
>>> simple, straight lines to a surface graph (based on the surface graph
>>> tutorial).
>>
>> It's not supported by the plugin. There are hooks for polylines in the
>> API though, I once implemented those using Balloon2D (meaning they
>> could not be hidden behind a 3D mesh). Very long time ago, not sure if
>> I can find it - it was more a hack than anything else.
>>
>> Your best bet would be to just construct a tube mesh connecting the
>> nodes.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping to make lines that would appear
> at a given width regardless of the distance to the camera. These would
> be the X, Y and Z origins for a data surface, so  they would need to be
> able to correctly penetrate solid objects.
>
> The tube idea is probably the best bet--though they may disappear when I
> zoom out.

You could adjust their width on the fly depending on current zoom factor
/ distance, which would mimic a line primitive. You could also make them
longer, something that a built-in line would not do automatically.

Doing this on your own is also more predictable - like, Direct3D would
not even support wide lines, whereas OpenGL does.

- Bert -

Re: RV: 2D and 3D Function Graphing?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Milan Zimmermann puso en su mail :

> Hi Edgar,
>
> Thanks for putting it up. Earlier, (about a month ago) I have converted your
> MorphicWrapper changeset to .mcz. I started working on MathMorphs when I got
> stalled by work, vacation, life, and other roadblocks. I will try to finish
> that during next 2 weeks, or at least find it is not that easy. Hopefully
> having it in .mcz would make collaboration easier.
>
> Later, Milan
Ok.
Back to notes and private emailing.
I just find my quick cs for having something public lost "aerial typing" in
last 3.9.