3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-2
Hi guys,

Continuing the work on the Gemstone port of 3.1, I notice many gemstone-specific changes to the 3.0 version are not in the 3.1 codebase.
Things like:
- WANoReapingStrategy (and its uses)
- WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy is not being used inside the WACache initializer
- several other deltas in the .gemstone branch of the Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session packages

I remember we ran through these things at the ESUG sprint but I thought they were either moved into the Seaside-Gemstone-Session and Seaside-Gemstone-Core packages or that these changes were not necessary anymore. However, I doubt about the WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy and its uses.

Am I on a wrong track somewhere or were these things still pending?

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-2
Btw, I merged all changes I could detect and created a pull request on github

Johan

On 15 Dec 2013, at 15:57, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Continuing the work on the Gemstone port of 3.1, I notice many gemstone-specific changes to the 3.0 version are not in the 3.1 codebase.
> Things like:
> - WANoReapingStrategy (and its uses)
> - WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy is not being used inside the WACache initializer
> - several other deltas in the .gemstone branch of the Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session packages
>
> I remember we ran through these things at the ESUG sprint but I thought they were either moved into the Seaside-Gemstone-Session and Seaside-Gemstone-Core packages or that these changes were not necessary anymore. However, I doubt about the WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy and its uses.
>
> Am I on a wrong track somewhere or were these things still pending?
>

> Johan

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Continuing the work on the Gemstone port of 3.1, I notice many gemstone-specific changes to the 3.0 version are not in the 3.1 codebase.
> Things like:
> - WANoReapingStrategy (and its uses)
> - WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy is not being used inside the WACache initializer
> - several other deltas in the .gemstone branch of the Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session packages
>
> I remember we ran through these things at the ESUG sprint but I thought they were either moved into the Seaside-Gemstone-Session and Seaside-Gemstone-Core packages or that these changes were not necessary anymore. However, I doubt about the WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy and its uses.
>
> Am I on a wrong track somewhere or were these things still pending?

I believe we left everything cache related out but I'm not sure.
WANoReapingStrategy certainly could go into Seaside-Core,
WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy sounds GemStone specific though.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-2

On 16 Dec 2013, at 13:25, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Continuing the work on the Gemstone port of 3.1, I notice many gemstone-specific changes to the 3.0 version are not in the 3.1 codebase.
>> Things like:
>> - WANoReapingStrategy (and its uses)
>> - WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy is not being used inside the WACache initializer
>> - several other deltas in the .gemstone branch of the Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session packages
>>
>> I remember we ran through these things at the ESUG sprint but I thought they were either moved into the Seaside-Gemstone-Session and Seaside-Gemstone-Core packages or that these changes were not necessary anymore. However, I doubt about the WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy and its uses.
>>
>> Am I on a wrong track somewhere or were these things still pending?
>
> I believe we left everything cache related out but I'm not sure.
> WANoReapingStrategy certainly could go into Seaside-Core,
> WARcLastAccessExpiryPolicy sounds GemStone specific though.

The classes themselves are now in Seaside-GemStone-Core.
Since there is a platform-specific package for each platform, that is ok imho.

The real problem is that both Seaside-Core and Seaside-Session require gemstone-specific versions, amongst others to be able to use the aforementioned classes.
If we could refactor the codebase such that all platform-specific changes can go into the platform-specific packages, we will make future maintenance easier. The changes are relatively small but they are maybe not so easy to abstract away. So I would suggest to keep it like that for now and take a look after 3.1.0 has been officially published.

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

DiegoLont
Hi all,

I also have trouble loading Seaside 3.1 on gemstone. The error I get is that Seaside-Gemstone-JSON-Core is missing.

Does anyone know if this is an error in the configuration, or if this package should be there somewhere?

Diego

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-2
Diego,

The gemstone part is not finished in the configuration.
Also, all the ported code is still on github [1].
It is also relatively untested. Although the unit tests work, I have been caught up in making the Zinc adaptor work to properly test it.

Now that 3.1 has been officially released, I will include the current state of it in the configuration anyway. It should be fine. The only question I ponder on is if we keep the github repository as the main repository for the gemstone version or not.

On 30 Dec 2013, at 09:37, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I also have trouble loading Seaside 3.1 on gemstone. The error I get is that Seaside-Gemstone-JSON-Core is missing.

Does anyone know if this is an error in the configuration, or if this package should be there somewhere?

Diego

Re: 3.1 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-2
Diego, all,

I started to prefer to github way of collaborating on Smalltalk projects. The pull-request model, associated code review, great versioning and Travis builds are a great way of working together. So, I will reorganize the Seaside31 repository on github to keep the Gemstone code and the Pharo code in separate branches. This will at least support a possible transition of the development to github at a later time if the dev team desires it.

For now, we can keep using SmalltalkHub of course. But since I’m mostly working with Dale on the Gemstone branch, I will keep the code repo of Seaside3.1 on Gemstone.

Will take care of that later today…

Johan

On 30 Dec 2013, at 09:47, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I wrapped something up to load Seaside3.1 for gemstone from github using the ConfigurationOfSeaside3
But I found out many things are wrong with the current configuration and especially with respect to the gemstone specs.

So I’m not going to rush into making all those changes at this hour. I hope to be able to finish things in the next few days.

If you are really keen on trying Seaside3.1 for Gemstone, just give the load instructions on the glassdb github repo a try!

cheers
Johan

On 30 Dec 2013, at 09:59, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I added a new baseline (3.1.0.1-baseline) to support loading into Gemstone.
It imports the BaselineOfSeaside3 which is on github. In this way, the loading for Gemstone happens transparently from the ConfigurationOfSeaside3 but the specs for Gemstone are in the github repo.

There are couple of remaining issues to solve.
Once these are fixed, we can mark the 3.1.0 version for gemstone as well.

In the meantime, see [1] for loading instructions.