[3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
hi guys

can you check what I did

"We use the following three fixes that are crucial for any server setup:
0006581: Image freezes (background processes like Seaside make no
progress) and Squeak hoggs CPU
This is the image freezing problem, where connecting with VNC and
moving the mouse would bring the image alive again. When being stuck,
Squeak hoggs the CPU, memory consumtion is stable. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6581
Note: fix takes only effect if Preferences enable: #serverMode !
--------
0006588: Broken Semaphore>>critical: leads to frozen processes in Delay
VNC doesn't respond to UI events, 0% cpu usage, several processes
frozen in Delay although our Seaside server still responds. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6588
--------
0006576: Delay is not thread-safe
Delay is not thread-safe since currently the calling process updates
the internal Delay structure itself. If the process gets terminated
while doing this (e.g., adding/removing from SuspendedDelays) the
whole system is left in an inconsistent state and breaks. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576

+ remove OB

The update stream is working but
I also uploaded an image in 3.9 folder. http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Andreas.Raab
stephane ducasse wrote:

> + remove OB

Does that mean that if people write code with a dependency on OB,
publish on SqueakMap as "3.9" it will fail to work in 3.9.1? That's not
exactly my understanding of a maintenance release.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Ken Causey-3
I agree, not a good idea for a maintenance release.

Ken

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 13:46 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
> >
> > + remove OB
>
> Does that mean that if people write code with a dependency on OB,
> publish on SqueakMap as "3.9" it will fail to work in 3.9.1? That's not
> exactly my understanding of a maintenance release.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Lukas Renggli
It is a very good idea.

The OB code in 3.9 is totally outdated. It is so old, that it is
impossible to just load a new version with MC. To get the latest
version of OB working you have to unload the old code first. I assume
that anybody building something with OB knows how to load the latest
version.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

Please see this also:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6894

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Giovanni Corriga
Lukas Renggli ha scritto:
> It is a very good idea.
>
> The OB code in 3.9 is totally outdated. It is so old, that it is
> impossible to just load a new version with MC. To get the latest
> version of OB working you have to unload the old code first. I assume
> that anybody building something with OB knows how to load the latest
> version.

Ok, then the update stream should have something that unloads the 3.9.0
OB and loads the new one. It's not an issue of people not knowing how to
load the next version, it's an issue of seeing 3.9.x as a platform.

        Giovanni

        Giovanni

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Andreas.Raab
Well, ultimately the people using 3.9 (which I'm not) should decide
whether to throw out OB or not. I'm just pointing out that for a
*maintenance* release, the removal of large chunks of code where nobody
knows what may depend on it is generally considered a complete no-no.
These kinds of issues should be decided when the release is originally
made (and I'll bite my tongue here not making any sarcastic comments
about the fact that I had argued against the inclusion of OB in the 3.9
release in the first place).

FWIW, I think Giovanni's proposal would be preferable to having an old
version of OB in 3.9.0 and none in 3.9.1.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> It is a very good idea.
>
> The OB code in 3.9 is totally outdated. It is so old, that it is
> impossible to just load a new version with MC. To get the latest
> version of OB working you have to unload the old code first. I assume
> that anybody building something with OB knows how to load the latest
> version.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 2/15/08, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree, not a good idea for a maintenance release.
>>

>>  Ken
>>

>>  On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 13:46 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>  > stephane ducasse wrote:
>>  > >
>>  > > + remove OB
>>  >
>>  > Does that mean that if people write code with a dependency on OB,
>>  > publish on SqueakMap as "3.9" it will fail to work in 3.9.1? That's not
>>  > exactly my understanding of a maintenance release.
>>  >
>>  > Cheers,
>>  >    - Andreas
>>  >
>>  >

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
Thanks I will include this one too.

Stef

On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see this also:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6894
>
> 2008/2/15, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> hi guys
>>
>> can you check what I did
>>
>> "We use the following three fixes that are crucial for any server
>> setup:
>> 0006581: Image freezes (background processes like Seaside make no
>> progress) and Squeak hoggs CPU
>> This is the image freezing problem, where connecting with VNC and
>> moving the mouse would bring the image alive again. When being stuck,
>> Squeak hoggs the CPU, memory consumtion is stable. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6581
>> Note: fix takes only effect if Preferences enable: #serverMode !
>> --------
>> 0006588: Broken Semaphore>>critical: leads to frozen processes in
>> Delay
>> VNC doesn't respond to UI events, 0% cpu usage, several processes
>> frozen in Delay although our Seaside server still responds. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6588
>> --------
>> 0006576: Delay is not thread-safe
>> Delay is not thread-safe since currently the calling process updates
>> the internal Delay structure itself. If the process gets terminated
>> while doing this (e.g., adding/removing from SuspendedDelays) the
>> whole system is left in an inconsistent state and breaks. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576
>>
>> + remove OB
>>
>> The update stream is working but
>> I also uploaded an image in 3.9 folder. http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/
>> Stef
> --
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
Of course but where is a stable latest version.
The problem is that OB is under flux.

Stef

> Lukas Renggli ha scritto:
>> It is a very good idea.
>> The OB code in 3.9 is totally outdated. It is so old, that it is
>> impossible to just load a new version with MC. To get the latest
>> version of OB working you have to unload the old code first. I assume
>> that anybody building something with OB knows how to load the latest
>> version.
>
> Ok, then the update stream should have something that unloads the
> 3.9.0 OB and loads the new one. It's not an issue of people not
> knowing how to load the next version, it's an issue of seeing 3.9.x
> as a platform.
>
> Giovanni
>
> Giovanni

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Damien Cassou-3
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course but where is a stable latest version.
>  The problem is that OB is under flux.

I think that the versions pointed to by Universe are stable enough
(please correct me if I'm wrong):

- OmniBrowser-lr.406
- OB-Standard-dr.325
- OB-Morphic-lr.45

Damien Cassou

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
Hi Andreas

We put OB because it was before universes and the cool images
maintained by damien and we put it because we thought
        that for a tool to get better it should be used
        to be used it should be visible.
Simple but yes we made a mistake but this was not a big one since OB
is self contained.
We learned in the story so at the end this is not that bad. Of course
some really smart people would not
have made this mistake, indeed!

Now if you ask me I would remove Etoy, nebraska, starSqueak, speech,
80% of Morphic and lot more from the wonderful
squeak world.

It will come I'm sure

Stef

> Well, ultimately the people using 3.9 (which I'm not) should decide
> whether to throw out OB or not. I'm just pointing out that for a
> *maintenance* release, the removal of large chunks of code where
> nobody knows what may depend on it is generally considered a
> complete no-no. These kinds of issues should be decided when the
> release is originally made (and I'll bite my tongue here not making
> any sarcastic comments about the fact that I had argued against the
> inclusion of OB in the 3.9 release in the first place).
>
> FWIW, I think Giovanni's proposal would be preferable to having an
> old version of OB in 3.9.0 and none in 3.9.1.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> It is a very good idea.
>> The OB code in 3.9 is totally outdated. It is so old, that it is
>> impossible to just load a new version with MC. To get the latest
>> version of OB working you have to unload the old code first. I assume
>> that anybody building something with OB knows how to load the latest
>> version.
>> Lukas
>> On 2/15/08, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I agree, not a good idea for a maintenance release.
>>>

>>> Ken

>>> That's not

Re: [3.9.1] please check

SergeStinckwich
Damien Cassou a écrit :

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Of course but where is a stable latest version.
>>  The problem is that OB is under flux.
>
> I think that the versions pointed to by Universe are stable enough
> (please correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> - OmniBrowser-lr.406
> - OB-Standard-dr.325
> - OB-Morphic-lr.45

I still have these annoying problems with this version and Squeak 3.10
(i talk about that in a previous message) ... I could send you an image
with a broken OB if you (or David) want to look at.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: [3.9.1] please check

David Röthlisberger

>> - OmniBrowser-lr.406
>> - OB-Standard-dr.325
>> - OB-Morphic-lr.45
>
> I still have these annoying problems with this version and Squeak 3.10
> (i talk about that in a previous message) ... I could send you an image
> with a broken OB if you (or David) want to look at.

yes, please send me a link to such an image and an explanation what steps I have to
do to reproduce the problem.

David

Re: [3.9.1] please check

SergeStinckwich
David Röthlisberger a écrit :

>>> - OmniBrowser-lr.406
>>> - OB-Standard-dr.325
>>> - OB-Morphic-lr.45
>>
>> I still have these annoying problems with this version and Squeak 3.10
>> (i talk about that in a previous message) ... I could send you an
>> image with a broken OB if you (or David) want to look at.
>
> yes, please send me a link to such an image and an explanation what
> steps I have to do to reproduce the problem.

I send you a private message.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: [3.9.1] please check

L'Valente
In this version  it will remains two bugs. Both I've reported at http://bugs.squeak.org/ but only one (ID 0006732) as a solution, yet. The other which remains unsolved, occurs if you drag a MPEGPlayer from the objects catalog and open a viewer for that object and scroll into categories to the movie controls category.
Hope this help.
Luis Valente

2008/2/14, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
[...]

All the best,
Luís Valente

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
Dear Valente

3.9.1 is really for some important fixes not normal bugs :)
Else I would have to harvest all the fixes harvested in 3.10 and even
if there are not that many
this is not the objectives of a corrective release.
Thanks for your feedback anyway.
Keep squeaking.

Stef

On Feb 15, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Valente Teixeira wrote:

> Hi,
> In this version  it will remains two bugs. Both I've reported at http://bugs.squeak.org/
>  but only one (ID 0006732) as a solution, yet. The other which
> remains unsolved, occurs if you drag a MPEGPlayer from the objects
> catalog and open a viewer for that object and scroll into categories
> to the movie controls category.
> Hope this help.
> Luis Valente
>
> 2008/2/14, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>: hi guys
>
> can you check what I did
>
> "We use the following three fixes that are crucial for any server
> setup:
> 0006581: Image freezes (background processes like Seaside make no
> progress) and Squeak hoggs CPU
> This is the image freezing problem, where connecting with VNC and
> moving the mouse would bring the image alive again. When being stuck,
> Squeak hoggs the CPU, memory consumtion is stable. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6581
> Note: fix takes only effect if Preferences enable: #serverMode !
> --------
> 0006588: Broken Semaphore>>critical: leads to frozen processes in
> Delay
> VNC doesn't respond to UI events, 0% cpu usage, several processes
> frozen in Delay although our Seaside server still responds. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6588
> --------
> 0006576: Delay is not thread-safe
> Delay is not thread-safe since currently the calling process updates
> the internal Delay structure itself. If the process gets terminated
> while doing this (e.g., adding/removing from SuspendedDelays) the
> whole system is left in an inconsistent state and breaks. http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576
>
> + remove OB
>
> The update stream is working but
> I also uploaded an image in 3.9 folder. http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/
> Stef
>

> --
> All the best,
> Luís Valente

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
Dear Masashi UMEZAWA

I released a new version with your fixe. Can you check that this is ok.
Thanks a ****lot****

Stef

On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see this also:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6894
>
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [3.9.1] please check

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi,

I checked the latest 3.9.1 image. It works fine!

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [3.9.1] please check

stephane ducasse
*thanks* for your feedback
I will let other chck it and soon we can freeze it.

stef