3D mesh file format?

Sebastián
Hi,

    I want to make my own mesh to work with the gamming kit but I haven't
found any documentation that explains the "how's to.."

     How can I make my own *.x mesh file?

    May be I can use a standar 3D design program and export it?

    any body have experience?

thanks

Sebastian

Re: 3D mesh file format?

Andy Bower
Sebastian,

>     I want to make my own mesh to work with the gamming kit but I haven't
> found any documentation that explains the "how's to.."
>
>      How can I make my own *.x mesh file?
>
>     May be I can use a standar 3D design program and export it?

The .x file format should be a pretty standard file format since it is used
by DirectX. Although, I don't have any particular examples, I would expect
that most of the 3D design programs will by now support it (I know they
didn't back in 1996 when the DirectX kit was first written). I believe that
TrueSpace (http://www.caligari.com/) does support the import/export of .x
files (they have a downloadable demo). Or another possibility might be to
use a file converter like PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm) to
convert the output of a design program that doesn't directly write .x files.
PolyTrans seems to handle most formats.

Does anyone else have knowledge of other modelling tools that directly
support the DirectX format?

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: 3D mesh file format?

Chris Hayes-2
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:94jbem$e92ho$[hidden email]...
> Sebastian,
>
> >     I want to make my own mesh to work with the gamming kit but I
haven't
> > found any documentation that explains the "how's to.."
> >
> >      How can I make my own *.x mesh file?
> >
> >     May be I can use a standar 3D design program and export it?
>
> The .x file format should be a pretty standard file format since it is
used
> by DirectX. Although, I don't have any particular examples, I would expect
> that most of the 3D design programs will by now support it (I know they
> didn't back in 1996 when the DirectX kit was first written). I believe
that
> TrueSpace (http://www.caligari.com/) does support the import/export of .x
> files (they have a downloadable demo). Or another possibility might be to
> use a file converter like PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm)
> convert the output of a design program that doesn't directly write .x
files.
> PolyTrans seems to handle most formats.
>
> Does anyone else have knowledge of other modelling tools that directly
> support the DirectX format?

"Nendo" is a pretty nice tool that supports .X as an export format.  It's
only $99.  Make sure that you check the supported display adapter list
before purchasing though.

I also remember seeing a 3DS to X conversion utility somewhere.  I think it
was part of the DirectX SDK but perhaps it's available via download (?).
3DS (as in "3D Studio Max") is a fairly popular format that's supported by a
lot of different modelers.

Chris

Re: 3D mesh file format?

Boris Popov-3
Some modeling packages (like Nendo http://www.nichimen.com/nendo/index.shtml
and DoGa http://www.doga.co.jp/english/index.html) output .x files directly;
others can export .3ds files, which can be converted to .x files through a
variety of conversion applications:

1. Polytrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm) is a 3d model translator
which supports numerous 3d file formats including 3ds->x.  The tool isn't
free, but it's your best bet.

2. The DirectX8 SDK contains a 3ds->x command-line conversion utility called
conv3ds.exe, located in dx8sdk\bin\dxutil\xfiles\.  In the same location,
conv3ds.txt describes optional arguments (Although you must specify
either -a or -m).  This utility appears to work pretty well, and is free,
but it is only available as part of the large directX SDK download.

3. The EffectWare (http://www.effectware.com/) xout plugin allows you to
export .X files directly from 3dsmax, however it doesn't export animation.

4. X Dimension Software (http://xdsoft.com/) produces a nice shareware 3D
file viewer/converter that supports a variety of input and output formats.

-Boris

"Chris Hayes" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:94ju2q$dkgdr$[hidden email]...

> "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:94jbem$e92ho$[hidden email]...
> > Sebastian,
> >
> > >     I want to make my own mesh to work with the gamming kit but I
> haven't
> > > found any documentation that explains the "how's to.."
> > >
> > >      How can I make my own *.x mesh file?
> > >
> > >     May be I can use a standar 3D design program and export it?
> >
> > The .x file format should be a pretty standard file format since it is
> used
> > by DirectX. Although, I don't have any particular examples, I would
expect
> > that most of the 3D design programs will by now support it (I know they
> > didn't back in 1996 when the DirectX kit was first written). I believe
> that
> > TrueSpace (http://www.caligari.com/) does support the import/export of
.x
> > files (they have a downloadable demo). Or another possibility might be

> > use a file converter like PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm)
> > convert the output of a design program that doesn't directly write .x
> files.
> > PolyTrans seems to handle most formats.
> >
> > Does anyone else have knowledge of other modelling tools that directly
> > support the DirectX format?
>
> "Nendo" is a pretty nice tool that supports .X as an export format.  It's
> only $99.  Make sure that you check the supported display adapter list
> before purchasing though.
>
> I also remember seeing a 3DS to X conversion utility somewhere.  I think
it
> was part of the DirectX SDK but perhaps it's available via download (?).
> 3DS (as in "3D Studio Max") is a fairly popular format that's supported by
> lot of different modelers.
>
> Chris

Re: 3D mesh file format?

Sebastián