[4.1][Test] PetitParser

12

[4.1][Test] PetitParser

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I installed
        PetitParser.pck
        PetitTests.pck

from
https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser

RESULT
The tests run fine in 4.1.

TestResultPetitParserInCuis4.1.png (105K) Download Attachment

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

garduino
Nice!

We should have a central place where list all the available packages ready to use for Cuis?

Cheers.

2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hello

I installed
        PetitParser.pck
        PetitTests.pck

from
https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser

RESULT
The tests run fine in 4.1.

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Angel Java Lopez
Until you have a package manager, first idea:

Use the cuis repo at GitHub.

Every contributor make a fork.
He/she add the code to his/her fork.
Make a pull request to central repo

Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.

Alternatively (or complementary), a PACKAGE.md page at Cuis central GitHub repo

Angel "MyLifeIsGitHub" Lopez ;-)
github:ajlopez

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice!

We should have a central place where list all the available packages ready to use for Cuis?

Cheers.

2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hello

I installed
        PetitParser.pck
        PetitTests.pck

from
https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser

RESULT
The tests run fine in 4.1.

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

garduino
Yes, it's an option.

But I was thinking in something more simple, only a list with the link of the repo :) and may be some code to read/install from Cuis (something as we did in the old times of SmallLand ... using a swiki (the only tool that we had in such times)).

Cheers.

2012/12/27 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
[...]

My second suggestion was a list.
If the package "is outside" the central repo, the instructions to read/install from Cuis should be at the other author repo. Then, he/she has the responsability to update the info, not the central repo author.

The central repo author could resolve issues like "I have a new package for Cuis at ..., please at to your list", the n he can add to the Package.md link page.

But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag "v0.1.0" are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at tag "v0.2.0" should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the development tag.

So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and trying to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0

Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

And the packages files (*.pck) should have a Smalltalk extension *.st,
so e.g. *.pck.st so that the repos show up on the github Smalltalk
page.

    https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

This makes it easier to see what is going on.

For example Bernhard's Cuis fork appears there (no *.cs files) whereas
Juan's does not (many *.cs files,  counted as C-Sharp).

On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Until you have a package manager, first idea:
>
> Use the cuis repo at GitHub.
>
> Every contributor make a fork.
> He/she add the code to his/her fork.
> Make a pull request to central repo
>
> Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.
>
> Alternatively (or complementary), a PACKAGE.md page at Cuis central GitHub
> repo
>
> Angel "MyLifeIsGitHub" Lopez ;-)
> github:ajlopez
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nice!
>>
>> We should have a central place where list all the available packages
>> ready
>> to use for Cuis?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I installed
>>>         PetitParser.pck
>>>         PetitTests.pck
>>>
>>> from
>>> https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>>>
>>> RESULT
>>> The tests run fine in 4.1.

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

garduino
Interesting thoughts Angel and Hannes, thanks by share here.

We will see what Juan thinks about. (And yes, I was thinking in the extra work for the central repo maintainer....)

2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
And the packages files (*.pck) should have a Smalltalk extension *.st,
so e.g. *.pck.st so that the repos show up on the github Smalltalk
page.

    https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

This makes it easier to see what is going on.

For example Bernhard's Cuis fork appears there (no *.cs files) whereas
Juan's does not (many *.cs files,  counted as C-Sharp).

On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Until you have a package manager, first idea:
>
> Use the cuis repo at GitHub.
>
> Every contributor make a fork.
> He/she add the code to his/her fork.
> Make a pull request to central repo
>
> Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.
>
> Alternatively (or complementary), a PACKAGE.md page at Cuis central GitHub
> repo
>
> Angel "MyLifeIsGitHub" Lopez ;-)
> github:ajlopez
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nice!
>>
>> We should have a central place where list all the available packages
>> ready
>> to use for Cuis?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I installed
>>>         PetitParser.pck
>>>         PetitTests.pck
>>>
>>> from
>>> https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>>>
>>> RESULT
>>> The tests run fine in 4.1.

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Hannes Hirzel
On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My second suggestion was a list.

+1

You may fork https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
add a 'doc' subdirectory

and start your list as an text file there.

At the moment there are 4 forks and I think you are not among them.

Or alternatively I could do it myself.  :-)

 Here is my fork
     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis

Now I have to figure out how to do the 'doc' subdirectory and create the file.

For the meantime a gist with a text file might be easier

    something like this

https://gist.github.com/4387559

(markdown,  a title is underlined with -------- and shows up bold)

More on Markdown
here
    http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html

Markdown, the main documentation format of github may be converted to
many formats.

see for example here
     http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try

> If the package "is outside" the central repo, the instructions to
> read/install from Cuis should be at the other author repo. Then, he/she has
> the responsability to update the info, not the central repo author.
>
> The central repo author could resolve issues like "I have a new package for
> Cuis at ..., please at to your list", the n he can add to the Package.md
> link page.
>
> But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an
> advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag "v0.1.0"
> are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at tag "v0.2.0"
> should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the development tag.
>
> So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that
> version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and trying
> to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0
>
> Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's an option.
>>
>> But I was thinking in something more simple, only a list with the link of
>> the repo :) and may be some code to read/install from Cuis (something as
>> we
>> did in the old times of SmallLand ... using a swiki (the only tool that
>> we
>> had in such times)).
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2012/12/27 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Until you have a package manager, first idea:
>>>
>>> Use the cuis repo at GitHub.
>>>
>>> Every contributor make a fork.
>>> He/she add the code to his/her fork.
>>> Make a pull request to central repo
>>>
>>> Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.
>>>
>>> Alternatively (or complementary), a PACKAGE.md page at Cuis central
>>> GitHub repo
>>>
>>> Angel "MyLifeIsGitHub" Lopez ;-)
>>> github:ajlopez

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

garduino
Yes, I was thinking in a simple list, as I've said before.

Yesterday night I was near of start a gist, but was to late and I went to sleep :)

I've several packages to add to the gist, I should fork it, update, and then request you a pull?

Or you prefer to update yourself being that are only a bit of text....

> [...]

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's an option.
>>
>> But I was thinking in something more simple, only a list with the link of
>> the repo :) and may be some code to read/install from Cuis (something as
>> we
>> did in the old times of SmallLand ... using a swiki (the only tool that
>> we
>> had in such times)).
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> 2012/12/27 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Until you have a package manager, first idea:
>>>
>>> Use the cuis repo at GitHub.
>>>
>>> Every contributor make a fork.
>>> He/she add the code to his/her fork.
>>> Make a pull request to central repo
>>>
>>> Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.
>>>
>>> Alternatively (or complementary), a PACKAGE.md page at Cuis central

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Hannes Hirzel
On 12/27/12, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I was thinking in a simple list, as I've said before.
>
> Yesterday night I was near of start a gist, but was to late and I went to
> sleep :)
>
> I've several packages to add to the gist, I should fork it, update, and
> then request you a pull?

Just fork my gist
https://gist.github.com/4387559
in case there is a 'fork' button on your screen (Mine does not but
that is probably because I created the gist).

Change it to whatever seems suitable to you. In case I want it back to
add/change something I will in turn  fork yours....    :-)

> Or you prefer to update yourself being that are only a bit of text....
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My second suggestion was a list.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> You may fork https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>> add a 'doc' subdirectory
>>
>> and start your list as an text file there.
>>
>> At the moment there are 4 forks and I think you are not among them.
>>
>> Or alternatively I could do it myself.  :-)
>>
>>  Here is my fork
>>      https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
>>
>> Now I have to figure out how to do the 'doc' subdirectory and create the
>> file.
>>

>> For the meantime a gist with a text file might be easier
>>
>>     something like this
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/4387559
>>
>> (markdown,  a title is underlined with -------- and shows up bold)
>>
>> More on Markdown
>> here
>>     http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html
>>
>> Markdown, the main documentation format of github may be converted to
>> many formats.
>>
>> see for example here
>>      http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try
>>

>> > If the package "is outside" the central repo, the instructions to
>> > read/install from Cuis should be at the other author repo. Then, he/she
>> has
>> > the responsability to update the info, not the central repo author.
>> >
>> > The central repo author could resolve issues like "I have a new package
>> for
>> > Cuis at ..., please at to your list", the n he can add to the
>> > Package.md
>> > link page.
>> >
>> > But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an
>> > advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag
>> > "v0.1.0"
>> > are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at tag "v0.2.0"
>> > should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the development
>> > tag.
>> >
>> > So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that
>> > version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and
>> > trying
>> > to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0
>> >
>> > Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).

>> of

> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogspot.com

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

garduino
Done: https://gist.github.com/4387710

2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
On 12/27/12, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I was thinking in a simple list, as I've said before.
>
> Yesterday night I was near of start a gist, but was to late and I went to
> sleep :)
>
> I've several packages to add to the gist, I should fork it, update, and
> then request you a pull?

Just fork my gist
https://gist.github.com/4387559
in case there is a 'fork' button on your screen (Mine does not but
that is probably because I created the gist).

Change it to whatever seems suitable to you. In case I want it back to
add/change something I will in turn  fork yours....    :-)

> Or you prefer to update yourself being that are only a bit of text....
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My second suggestion was a list.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> You may fork https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>> add a 'doc' subdirectory
>>
>> and start your list as an text file there.
>>
>> At the moment there are 4 forks and I think you are not among them.
>>
>> Or alternatively I could do it myself.  :-)
>>
>>  Here is my fork
>>      https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
>>
>> Now I have to figure out how to do the 'doc' subdirectory and create the
>> file.
>>

>> For the meantime a gist with a text file might be easier
>>
>>     something like this
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/4387559
>>
>> (markdown,  a title is underlined with -------- and shows up bold)
>>
>> More on Markdown
>> here
>>     http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html
>>
>> Markdown, the main documentation format of github may be converted to
>> many formats.
>>
>> see for example here
>>      http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try
>>

>> > If the package "is outside" the central repo, the instructions to
>> > read/install from Cuis should be at the other author repo. Then, he/she
>> has
>> > the responsability to update the info, not the central repo author.
>> >
>> > The central repo author could resolve issues like "I have a new package
>> for
>> > Cuis at ..., please at to your list", the n he can add to the
>> > Package.md
>> > link page.
>> >
>> > But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an
>> > advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag
>> > "v0.1.0"
>> > are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at tag "v0.2.0"
>> > should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the development
>> > tag.
>> >
>> > So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that
>> > version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and
>> > trying
>> > to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0
>> >
>> > Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).

>> of

> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogspot.com

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Casey Ransberger-2
Wow! Thanks for putting the list together folks! This is cool! I know I'm not supposed to use more than one exclamation point per email!

Casey

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Done: https://gist.github.com/4387710

2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
On 12/27/12, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I was thinking in a simple list, as I've said before.
>
> Yesterday night I was near of start a gist, but was to late and I went to
> sleep :)
>
> I've several packages to add to the gist, I should fork it, update, and
> then request you a pull?

Just fork my gist
https://gist.github.com/4387559
in case there is a 'fork' button on your screen (Mine does not but
that is probably because I created the gist).

Change it to whatever seems suitable to you. In case I want it back to
add/change something I will in turn  fork yours....    :-)

> Or you prefer to update yourself being that are only a bit of text....
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2012/12/27 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 12/27/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > My second suggestion was a list.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> You may fork https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>> add a 'doc' subdirectory
>>
>> and start your list as an text file there.
>>
>> At the moment there are 4 forks and I think you are not among them.
>>
>> Or alternatively I could do it myself.  :-)
>>
>>  Here is my fork
>>      https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
>>
>> Now I have to figure out how to do the 'doc' subdirectory and create the
>> file.
>>

>> For the meantime a gist with a text file might be easier
>>
>>     something like this
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/4387559
>>
>> (markdown,  a title is underlined with -------- and shows up bold)
>>
>> More on Markdown
>> here
>>     http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html
>>
>> Markdown, the main documentation format of github may be converted to
>> many formats.
>>
>> see for example here
>>      http://www.johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try
>>

>> > If the package "is outside" the central repo, the instructions to
>> > read/install from Cuis should be at the other author repo. Then, he/she
>> has
>> > the responsability to update the info, not the central repo author.
>> >
>> > The central repo author could resolve issues like "I have a new package
>> for
>> > Cuis at ..., please at to your list", the n he can add to the
>> > Package.md
>> > link page.
>> >
>> > But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an
>> > advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag
>> > "v0.1.0"
>> > are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at tag "v0.2.0"
>> > should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the development
>> > tag.
>> >
>> > So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that
>> > version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and
>> > trying
>> > to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0
>> >
>> > Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).

>> of

> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
> greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogspot.com

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Hannes Hirzel
The updated list is here

    https://gist.github.com/4387924

Casey,

If I remember well you once did a package for managing resources, right?

Where is it?

--Hannes

On 12/28/12, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow! Thanks for putting the list together folks! This is cool! I know I'm
> not supposed to use more than one exclamation point per email!
>
> Casey
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Done: https://gist.github.com/4387710

>>> Just fork my gist
>>> https://gist.github.com/4387559
>>> in case there is a 'fork' button on your screen (Mine does not but
>>> that is probably because I created the gist).
>>>
>>> Change it to whatever seems suitable to you. In case I want it back to
>>> add/change something I will in turn  fork yours....    :-)

>>> the

>>> he/she

>>> package

>>> "v0.2.0"

>>> that

>>> link
>>> (something

>>> packages

Once central repo for Cuis and Packages? Or just a central list?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Angel,

I really like the idea of having a single and consistent git commit of a
Cuis version and all the packages that work on it. It would make much
easier to go back to some date, and grab stuff that works well together.
One downside is a bit more work for repo admin. A bigger one is that it
makes things a slower for package maintainers. But the consistency might
outweigh them.

Below, I extracted Angel's comments on this. Folks, please comment. Add
steps or ideas to complete or enhance Angel's suggestion. Or if you
don't like it, please say why. This is a rather important decision, and
I'd like we to make a good choice.

One quick question for Angel (I'm a beginner with github): Can we tag a
commit after it was done? That way, we could work together on Cuis and
Packages for several days (involving many commits) and only when we are
all happy, we can tag the last one as "v4.1 with packages" or something
like that.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Angel Java Lopez wrote:

> But having the central repo with the package (not a link), has an
> advantage: central repo could have tags. So, the packages at tag
> "v0.1.0" are all compatible with that tag, and every improvement at
> tag "v0.2.0" should be committed to that tag. The "master" tag is the
> development tag.
>
> So, I could download the v0.2.0 with all the optional packages of that
> version, without struggling going to each package author repo, and
> trying to guess what package/tag is compatible with Cuis v0.2.0
>
> Cons: it put more responsability to central repo author(s).
>

>     2012/12/27 Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>         Until you have a package manager, first idea:
>
>         Use the cuis repo at GitHub.
>
>         Every contributor make a fork.
>         He/she add the code to his/her fork.
>         Make a pull request to central repo
>
>         Maybe, a guide to have folders per package/topic.
>
>         Angel "MyLifeIsGitHub" Lopez ;-)
>         github:ajlopez

Re: [4.1][Test] PetitParser

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

You might be thinking on Casey's ContentPack, that is part of Cuis. It
allows us to use only change sets for updating Cuis, while at the same
time, using external tools for editing resources (like .bmp, .png and
jpg files, etc).

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

H. Hirzel wrote:

> The updated list is here
>
>     https://gist.github.com/4387924
>
> Casey,
>
> If I remember well you once did a package for managing resources, right?
>
> Where is it?
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 12/28/12, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wow! Thanks for putting the list together folks! This is cool! I know I'm
>> not supposed to use more than one exclamation point per email!
>>
>> Casey

Re: Once central repo for Cuis and Packages? Or just a central list?

Angel Java Lopez
Hi people!

Yes, you usually work on master (it could be called the "developer branch"), and when you are ready, tag it. Ummm.. you tag your local repo, and then push the tags to Github. AFAIK, you could move the tag to other commit, for example, if there are a minor fix in documentation or something alike.

Having packages out of the central repo, is more agile.

Maybe a "solution at the middle": some "blessed" (easy to test, to load from core in central repo, many used, important for community, etc...) packages are at central repo, and the other packages are listed in a page

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez

Angel Java Lopez wrote:

[...]

Telling GitHub that our code is Smalltalk

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

In addition to .pck we also have .cs files. I'd like to be able to tell
GitHub that:
*.pck is Smalltalk
*.cs is Smalltalk
The whole project is a Smalltalk project (so it shows in
https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk )

I found how to tell git that some files are in a specific language (see
http://schacon.github.com/git/gitattributes.html ), but smalltalk is not
listed there. But if git already thinks that *.st means smalltalk, I
believe the same could be done for *.pck and *.cs.

Please folks, help me! I can't find a way to do it, but it should be
possible!

As a last resource, we could switch to *.pck.st and *.cs.st, but that
would make things a bit more awkward for us, and especially for users of
other Smalltalk environments...

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

H. Hirzel wrote:

> And the packages files (*.pck) should have a Smalltalk extension *.st,
> so e.g. *.pck.st so that the repos show up on the github Smalltalk
> page.
>
>     https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
>
> This makes it easier to see what is going on.
>
> For example Bernhard's Cuis fork appears there (no *.cs files) whereas
> Juan's does not (many *.cs files,  counted as C-Sharp).

Re: Telling GitHub that our code is Smalltalk

garduino
I don't know how....the same thing happens in BitBucket, it only know as Smalltalk the files .st :(

Should exist some list or similar of GitHub to ask?

The whole project is a Smalltalk project (so it shows in https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk )

H. Hirzel wrote:
And the packages files (*.pck) should have a Smalltalk extension *.st,
so e.g. *.pck.st so that the repos show up on the github Smalltalk
page.

    https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

This makes it easier to see what is going on.

For example Bernhard's Cuis fork appears there (no *.cs files) whereas
Juan's does not (many *.cs files,  counted as C-Sharp).

Re: Telling GitHub that our code is Smalltalk

Angel Java Lopez
I just found:

then

but I don't sure if it is used to classify a project. Is it used beyond syntax highlighting?

Language detection

Linguist defines the list of all languages known to GitHub in a yaml file. In order for a file to be highlighted, a language and lexer must be defined there.

Most languages are detected by their file extension. This is the fastest and most common situation.

For disambiguating between files with common extensions, we use a bayesian classifier. For an example, this helps us tell the difference between .h files which could be either C, C++, or Obj-C.

and its issues: