[4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

[4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

First of all the installation of the Pier2 code (including Seaside)
works smoothly. This is really an achievment. Thanks to all who have
contributed to this result.

For finally getting it ready to run I need some additional help however.

Following
http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/pier2-on-seaside3-on-squeak-trunk.html

I evaluated

     (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.

Then I did

     ConfigurationOfPier2 load.
     WAKom startOn: 9999.

In a browser I tried the following

     http://localhost:9999/pier
     http://localhost:9999/pier2
     http://localhost:9999/seaside/pier
     http://localhost:9999/seaside/pier2

None of them worked.

Seaside as such is up and running

     http://localhost:9999/

gives the seaside dispatcher.

If I click on the link
     'browse'   Application

nothing happens

Which steps  am I missing?

Any links to instructions / notes or direct help is appreciated.

Hannes

P.S. I use the image from http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/unix-linux/ on Ubuntu 9.10

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
The ANSWER:

I have to register the application.

This is done by evaluating

    PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel
instanceNamed: 'pier').

Then I can access the Pier CMS in the browser through
    http://localhost:9999/pier

Hannes

On 4/16/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> First of all the installation of the Pier2 code (including Seaside)
> works smoothly. This is really an achievment. Thanks to all who have
> contributed to this result.
>
> For finally getting it ready to run I need some additional help however.
>

> Following
> http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/pier2-on-seaside3-on-squeak-trunk.html
>
> I evaluated
>
>      (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
> 'ConfigurationOfPier2'.
>
> Then I did
>
>      ConfigurationOfPier2 load.
>      WAKom startOn: 9999.
>

> In a browser I tried the following
>
>      http://localhost:9999/pier
>      http://localhost:9999/pier2
>      http://localhost:9999/seaside/pier
>      http://localhost:9999/seaside/pier2
>
> None of them worked.
>
> Seaside as such is up and running
>
>      http://localhost:9999/
>
> gives the seaside dispatcher.
>
> If I click on the link
>      'browse'   Application
>
> nothing happens
>
> Which steps  am I missing?
>
> Any links to instructions / notes or direct help is appreciated.
>
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I use the image from http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/unix-linux/ on Ubuntu
> 9.10

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Reza Razavi
At 11:26 16/04/2010, you wrote:
Which steps  am I missing?

Hi Hannes,

After having loaded ConfigurationOfPier2, you probably need to execute first *PRDistribution new register*, before trying * http://localhost:8080/pier/*. You then don't need *WAKom startOn: 9999*.

PRDistribution is in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2addons, package *Pier-Setup-lr.83*.

Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Reza

Your answer got me a step further. I evaluated in a workspace

1)
     (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.

2)
     ConfigurationOfPier2 load.

3)
     (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.

4)

    PRDistribution new register.

However I get a walkbalk saying that in method PBBlog does not
understand #named: . The reason is the the class PBBlog is not there.

However I did not find the package PBBlog or something in Lukas'
repository nor in squeaksource.

How did you do the loading?

Hannes

On 4/16/10, Reza RAZAVI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 11:26 16/04/2010, you wrote:
>>Which steps  am I missing?
>
> Hi Hannes,
>
> After having loaded ConfigurationOfPier2, you probably need to
> execute first *PRDistribution new register*, before trying
> *http://localhost:8080/pier/*. You then don't need *WAKom startOn: 9999*.
>
> PRDistribution is in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2addons,
> package *Pier-Setup-lr.83*.
>
> Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. For the time being I use as step 3) and 4)

3)
    PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel
instanceNamed: 'pier').

4)
    WAKom startOn: 9999.

Then I can access pier2 through http://localhost:9999/pier

Hannes

At 15:31 17/04/2010, you wrote:
>4)
>
>     PRDistribution new register.

Hi Hannes,

Before executing this step, you need to load *Pier-Blog* from
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2addons

Please note that PRDistribution provides basically a set of
sample/default Pier distributions, a starting point to build yours.

Regards,
Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
OK, what I am doing now is

"1)"
    (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.

"2)"
    ConfigurationOfPier2 load.

"3)"
    (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Blog'.

"4)"
    (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.

"5)"

   PRDistribution new register.

However in step 3 the 'Pier-Blog' is not there. I assume the class
PRBlog is at another place? Any suggestions?

Hannes

On 4/17/10, Reza Razavi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 15:31 17/04/2010, you wrote:
>>4)
>>
>>     PRDistribution new register.
>
> Hi Hannes,
>
> Before executing this step, you need to load *Pier-Blog* from
> http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2addons
>
> Please note that PRDistribution provides basically a set of
> sample/default Pier distributions, a starting point to build yours.
>
> Regards,
> Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
I skipped step 3 and I cut out all blog related statements in
PRDistribution>>root

The experience I get on http://localhost:8080/pier is the best I ever
had so far in this loading test.

At 16:52 17/04/2010, you wrote:
>However in step 3 the 'Pier-Blog' is not there.

If Monticello Browser is loaded, it could serve to load Pier-Blog from
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2addons

Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
I do not see it in the 'Monticello Browser'

Hannes

NoPier2-Pier-Blog-Package.GIF (53K) Download Attachment

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
And it's not in Pier2addons either.

NoPier2-Pier-Blog-Package-B.GIF (34K) Download Attachment

At 20:12 17/04/2010, you wrote:
>I do not see it in the 'Monticello Browser'

Please look at:
MCHttpRepository
         location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2'
         user: ''
         password: ''

Regards,
Reza

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
Reza

Thank you for your patience. It now works fine. The blog is there.

http://localhost:8080/pier/blog

For the record: Here is the installation process

"1)"
    (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.

"2a)"
    ConfigurationOfPier2 load.

"2b)"
   (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Blog'.

"2c)"
    (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.

"3)"

   PRDistribution new register.

Paste this snippet into a workspace.
- select point 1) and do it.
- select point 2) and do it.
- select point 3) and do it.

Hannes

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
OK I have to add Pier-Book as well.

"1)"
    (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.

"2a)"
    ConfigurationOfPier2 load.

"2b)"
   (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Blog'.

"2c)"
   (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Book'.

"2d)"
    (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.

"3)"

   PRDistribution new register.

Hannes

On 4/17/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reza
>
> Thank you for your patience. It now works fine. The blog is there.
>
> http://localhost:8080/pier/blog
>

> For the record: Here is the installation process
>

> "1)"
>     (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
> 'ConfigurationOfPier2'.
>
> "2a)"
>     ConfigurationOfPier2 load.
>
> "2b)"
>    (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Blog'.
>
> "2c)"
>     (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.
>
> "3)"
>
>    PRDistribution new register.
>
> Paste this snippet into a workspace.
> - select point 1) and do it.
> - select point 2) and do it.
> - select point 3) and do it.
>
> Hannes

Re: [4.1] question about loading and using Pier2

Hannes Hirzel
A more elegant solution. The code may be evaluated in one go. If
somebody has a shorter version or is willing to update the MetaCello
configuration that would be fine.

"1)"
   (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfPier2'.
   (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) load.

"2)"
  (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Blog'.
  (Installer lukas project: 'pier2') install: 'Pier-Book'.
  (Installer lukas project: 'pier2addons') install: 'Pier-Setup'.

"3)"
  (Smalltalk at: #PRDistribution)  new register.