4.1 release candidate 4

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

The updated 4.1 release candidate 4 is now available from:

        http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4

It includes the following fixes relative to rc3:

        [x] Updated Unix VM to 4.0.3.2196
        [x] Updated Mac VM to 4.2.4beta1U
        [x] Fixed the "damaged" Mac VM issue
        [x] Updated SMBase to SMBase-ar.109.mcz

I have high hopes for this build; with the correct VMs and the fixes for
SM I think we're good to ship. Let's test it some more over the next
couple of days and ship it unless we find any fatal issues.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

LawsonEnglish
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> The updated 4.1 release candidate 4 is now available from:
>
>     http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4
>
> It includes the following fixes relative to rc3:
>
>     [x] Updated Unix VM to 4.0.3.2196
>     [x] Updated Mac VM to 4.2.4beta1U
>     [x] Fixed the "damaged" Mac VM issue
>     [x] Updated SMBase to SMBase-ar.109.mcz
>
> I have high hopes for this build; with the correct VMs and the fixes
> for SM I think we're good to ship. Let's test it some more over the
> next couple of days and ship it unless we find any fatal issues.

Not that I can test things well, but the VM issue is indeed fixed, and
I'm having no issues installing your OpenGL lib for 4.1.

Using it is a different matter of course.  ;-)

Lawson

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Andreas.Raab
On 4/11/2010 10:07 PM, Lawson English wrote:
> Not that I can test things well, but the VM issue is indeed fixed, and
> I'm having no issues installing your OpenGL lib for 4.1.

Any form of testing is greatly appreciated. I can only really test on
Windows so people giving feedback one way or the other is always welcome.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I downloaded
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4/win/
and I like the fact that 4.1 is nearing completion.

I have two things:

1) Welcome work spaces in 'Help' menu

I like that the welcome workspaces may be closed and then re-opened
through the 'Help' menu. This is in fact a very useful feature. After
downloading 4.1 I may read the text and then close all the welcome
screens and have a clear space to my own work. In case I need some
release information it is still there in the help menu.

According to
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148499.html
I may change the text and save it.
Currently the menu in the workspace for doing this is disabled. Is
there a preference setting to enable the pop-up-menu?

The texts are strings stored in methods in TheWorldMainDockingBar /
category 'submenu - help'

2) Content of 'Welcome workspaces'
I as well note that the welcome screen are now geared towards new
users. They give less details what has been changed for 4.1

Thank you for all your work

Hannes

On 4/12/10, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/11/2010 10:07 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>> Not that I can test things well, but the VM issue is indeed fixed, and
>> I'm having no issues installing your OpenGL lib for 4.1.
>
> Any form of testing is greatly appreciated. I can only really test on
> Windows so people giving feedback one way or the other is always welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Hannes Hirzel
More precisely:

I changed  false ifTrue:[  to true ifTrue:[ in the code below:
But it did not work.

showWelcomeText: aSelector label: labelString in: bounds
        "Show a welcome text. Linked in here so that the text can be edited
        by changing the acceptBlock below."
        | acceptBlock window |
        "Change the following to allow editing the text"
        true ifTrue:[
                acceptBlock := [:text|

HH

On 4/12/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I downloaded
> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4/win/
> and I like the fact that 4.1 is nearing completion.
>
> I have two things:
>

> 1) Welcome work spaces in 'Help' menu
>
> I like that the welcome workspaces may be closed and then re-opened
> through the 'Help' menu. This is in fact a very useful feature. After
> downloading 4.1 I may read the text and then close all the welcome
> screens and have a clear space to my own work. In case I need some
> release information it is still there in the help menu.
>
> According to
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148499.html
> I may change the text and save it.
> Currently the menu in the workspace for doing this is disabled. Is
> there a preference setting to enable the pop-up-menu?
>
> The texts are strings stored in methods in TheWorldMainDockingBar /
> category 'submenu - help'
>

> 2) Content of 'Welcome workspaces'
> I as well note that the welcome screen are now geared towards new
> users. They give less details what has been changed for 4.1
>

> Thank you for all your work
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/12/10, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 4/11/2010 10:07 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>>> Not that I can test things well, but the VM issue is indeed fixed, and
>>> I'm having no issues installing your OpenGL lib for 4.1.
>>
>> Any form of testing is greatly appreciated. I can only really test on
>> Windows so people giving feedback one way or the other is always welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Ian Trudel-2
Another round for the installer. My apologies for the wait, work comes
first. I did not have much success with file association without admin
rights under Windows 7. Minor fixes here and there.

http://drop.io/7sj106x/asset/squeak-4-1-9945-100412-installer-exe

Is there a templating system similar to Ruby ERB in Squeak? (Trunk) I
have used a similar technique to produce installers on a build system.
I would retrieve system information and then fill-in the Installer
setup file.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

laza
You need to reopen a new  welcome workspace after the change.

Alex

2010/4/12 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> More precisely:
>
> I changed  false ifTrue:[  to true ifTrue:[ in the code below:
> But it did not work.
>

> showWelcomeText: aSelector label: labelString in: bounds
>        "Show a welcome text. Linked in here so that the text can be edited
>        by changing the acceptBlock below."
>        | acceptBlock window |
>        "Change the following to allow editing the text"
>        true ifTrue:[
>                acceptBlock := [:text|
>
> HH
>
> On 4/12/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I downloaded
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4/win/
>> and I like the fact that 4.1 is nearing completion.
>>
>> I have two things:
>>

>> 1) Welcome work spaces in 'Help' menu
>>
>> I like that the welcome workspaces may be closed and then re-opened
>> through the 'Help' menu. This is in fact a very useful feature. After
>> downloading 4.1 I may read the text and then close all the welcome
>> screens and have a clear space to my own work. In case I need some
>> release information it is still there in the help menu.
>>
>> According to
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148499.html
>> I may change the text and save it.
>> Currently the menu in the workspace for doing this is disabled. Is
>> there a preference setting to enable the pop-up-menu?
>>
>> The texts are strings stored in methods in TheWorldMainDockingBar /
>> category 'submenu - help'
>>

>> 2) Content of 'Welcome workspaces'
>> I as well note that the welcome screen are now geared towards new
>> users. They give less details what has been changed for 4.1
>>

>> Thank you for all your work
>>
>> Hannes

>>> Any form of testing is greatly appreciated. I can only really test on
>>> Windows so people giving feedback one way or the other is always welcome.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>    - Andreas

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Hannes Hirzel
I not talking about changing the text through the code browser (for
that reopening is fine) but rather changing the 'welcome text' in the
workspace itself (a text which is "Text", i.e. not plain as in some of
the workspaces).

That is supposed to be possible but the menu in the workspace to
'accept' the changes remains deactivated.

Hannes

On 4/12/10, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to reopen a new  welcome workspace after the change.
>
> Alex
>
> 2010/4/12 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>> More precisely:
>>
>> I changed  false ifTrue:[  to true ifTrue:[ in the code below:
>> But it did not work.
>>

>> showWelcomeText: aSelector label: labelString in: bounds
>>        "Show a welcome text. Linked in here so that the text can be edited
>>        by changing the acceptBlock below."
>>        | acceptBlock window |
>>        "Change the following to allow editing the text"
>>        true ifTrue:[
>>                acceptBlock := [:text|
>>
>> HH
>>
>> On 4/12/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I downloaded
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4/win/
>>> and I like the fact that 4.1 is nearing completion.
>>>
>>> I have two things:
>>>

>>> 1) Welcome work spaces in 'Help' menu
>>>
>>> I like that the welcome workspaces may be closed and then re-opened
>>> through the 'Help' menu. This is in fact a very useful feature. After
>>> downloading 4.1 I may read the text and then close all the welcome
>>> screens and have a clear space to my own work. In case I need some
>>> release information it is still there in the help menu.
>>>
>>> According to
>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148499.html
>>> I may change the text and save it.
>>> Currently the menu in the workspace for doing this is disabled. Is
>>> there a preference setting to enable the pop-up-menu?
>>>
>>> The texts are strings stored in methods in TheWorldMainDockingBar /
>>> category 'submenu - help'
>>>

>>> 2) Content of 'Welcome workspaces'
>>> I as well note that the welcome screen are now geared towards new
>>> users. They give less details what has been changed for 4.1
>>>

>>> Thank you for all your work
>>>
>>> Hannes

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

fvozzi
Andreas,
It's look very cool and very fast on my machine.

Great work!!!

Thanks,
Facundo

ps: actually I'm using Seaside and Pharo but I would like test Squeak too. Futhermore, this version look similar to Pharo...

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks -

The updated 4.1 release candidate 4 is now available from:

       http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/4.1rc4

It includes the following fixes relative to rc3:

       [x] Updated Unix VM to 4.0.3.2196
       [x] Updated Mac VM to 4.2.4beta1U
       [x] Fixed the "damaged" Mac VM issue
       [x] Updated SMBase to SMBase-ar.109.mcz

I have high hopes for this build; with the correct VMs and the fixes for SM I think we're good to ship. Let's test it some more over the next couple of days and ship it unless we find any fatal issues.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

--
Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

laza
2010/4/12 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> I not talking about changing the text through the code browser (for

Me neither. Use alt-s or what's it on the mac.

Alex

> that reopening is fine) but rather changing the 'welcome text' in the
> workspace itself (a text which is "Text", i.e. not plain as in some of
> the workspaces).
>
> That is supposed to be possible but the menu in the workspace to
> 'accept' the changes remains deactivated.
>
> Hannes
>

> On 4/12/10, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You need to reopen a new  welcome workspace after the change.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/4/12 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>> More precisely:
>>>
>>> I changed  false ifTrue:[  to true ifTrue:[ in the code below:
>>> But it did not work.
>>>

>>> showWelcomeText: aSelector label: labelString in: bounds
>>>        "Show a welcome text. Linked in here so that the text can be edited
>>>        by changing the acceptBlock below."
>>>        | acceptBlock window |
>>>        "Change the following to allow editing the text"
>>>        true ifTrue:[
>>>                acceptBlock := [:text|
>>>
>>> HH

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Andreas.Raab
On 4/12/2010 8:47 AM, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> I not talking about changing the text through the code browser (for
> that reopening is fine) but rather changing the 'welcome text' in the
> workspace itself (a text which is "Text", i.e. not plain as in some of
> the workspaces).
>
> That is supposed to be possible but the menu in the workspace to
> 'accept' the changes remains deactivated.

You need to:
* make the change in the code
* close all open workspaces
* reopen the workspace you mean to edit
* edit it, accept it.

At this point you'll see that the MC package indicates a change and all
newly opened workspaces will contain the changes you made.

Hope this helps,
   - Andreas

> On 4/12/10, Alexander Lazarević<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> You need to reopen a new  welcome workspace after the change.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> 2010/4/12 Hannes Hirzel<[hidden email]>:
>>> More precisely:
>>>
>>> I changed  false ifTrue:[  to true ifTrue:[ in the code below:
>>> But it did not work.
>>>

>>> showWelcomeText: aSelector label: labelString in: bounds
>>>         "Show a welcome text. Linked in here so that the text can be edited
>>>         by changing the acceptBlock below."
>>>         | acceptBlock window |
>>>         "Change the following to allow editing the text"
>>>         true ifTrue:[
>>>                 acceptBlock := [:text|
>>>
>>> HH

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Yanni Chiu
Andreas Raab wrote:
>   Let's test it some more over the next
> couple of days and ship it unless we find any fatal issues.

Here are the results from http://hudson.jooshr.org

(1) Failed tests for Squeak4.1.1

Test Name   Duration   Age
SMDependencyTest.test2 0.263 1
HeapTest.testExamples 0.048 3
MCPackageTest.testUnload 1.246 27

(2) Failed tests for Seaside3.0/Magritte/Pier (loaded via Metacello)

Test Name   Duration   Age
WASqueakMimeDocumentTest.testAsMIMEDocumentMorph 0.0010 6
WASqueakMimeDocumentTest.testAsMIMEDocumentMorphColol 0.0010 6
MAExtensionsTest.testTimePrintOn 0.0010 14
GRNumberTest.testReadFrom 0.0 16
WABacktrackingTest.testDictionary 0.0 16

Re: 4.1 release candidate 4

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/12/10, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to:
> * make the change in the code
> * close all open workspaces
> * reopen the workspace you mean to edit
> * edit it, accept it.
>
> At this point you'll see that the MC package indicates a change and all
> newly opened workspaces will contain the changes you made.
>
> Hope this helps,
>    - Andreas

Yes this helped, thank you very much indeed.

I had to use the keyboard shortcut ALT-S to accept it.
I like that you put these important texts under version control!

Hannes