4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Chris Cunnington
There will be no new features added to the 4.3 release of Squeak as of today.
Between today and the code freeze deadline in three weeks (at the next SOB meeting) the emphasis is on bug fixes.
If you have been working on features in the Squeak Trunk, please take this opportunity to sort out any lingering bugs.

Thank you,

Chris

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

marcel.taeumel (old)
Cool! I'm looking forward for a stable 4.3.

I could not find a "http://source.squeak.org/squeak43" repository. Does it mean that there will be no real trunk for the next days? Is it a good idea? :)

Best regards,
Marcel

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Cool! I'm looking forward for a stable 4.3.
>
> I could not find a "http://source.squeak.org/squeak43" repository. Does it
> mean that there will be no real trunk for the next days? Is it a good idea?
> :)

That repository will be created right before the release of Squeak 4.3.

Levente

> Best regards,
> Marcel

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Andreas.Raab
Could someone update the alpha download? It would be useful to have a
current version for testing.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 11/16/2011 16:24, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> There will be no new features added to the 4.3 release of Squeak as of today.
> Between today and the code freeze deadline in three weeks (at the next SOB meeting) the emphasis is on bug fixes.
> If you have been working on features in the Squeak Trunk, please take this opportunity to sort out any lingering bugs.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

marcel.taeumel (old)
Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
That repository will be created right before the release of Squeak 4.3.
Why that late? I'm just curious if it wouldn't be better to do some "branching" right after feature-freeze. Bugfixes would have to be added to both repositories, trunk + 4.3, though. Hmm... maybe it's not that easy with Monticello/Squeaksource.

Marcel

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Tobias Pape
Hi.

Can you add One more thing?

Installer class>>gemsource

        ^ self monticello http: 'http://http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss'

Installer class>>gs

        ^ self gemsource

Installer class>>squeaksource3

        ^ self monticello http: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/'

Installer class>>ss3

        ^ self squeaksource3

Installer class>>swasource

        ^ self monticello http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource'

Installer class>>swa

        ^ self swasource

Best
        -Tobias

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Chris Cunnington
Hi Tobias,

As release manager, those look like worthwhile late additions me. But the person doing the adding would be you.
You could submit those to the Inbox and it would be up to the image builders.

Chris

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Bert Freudenberg

On 18.11.2011, at 07:50, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>
>> That repository will be created right before the release of Squeak 4.3.
>>

> Why that late? I'm just curious if it wouldn't be better to do some
> "branching" right after feature-freeze. Bugfixes would have to be added to
> both repositories, trunk + 4.3, though. Hmm... maybe it's not that easy with
> Monticello/Squeaksource.

We don't want to branch for release. Release work happens on trunk.

The reasoning is that this way, *everyone* is testing and refining the release. If we branched, then there would only be a few people testing and working on that branch.

The price we pay is that adding new features will have to wait for a few weeks (2 weeks of feature freeze, another 2 [perhaps less?] of code freeze). Given the small number of active developers this is a good trade-off.

Best of all, everyone will want the release out of the door ASAP so Happy Hacking can commence again ;)

- Bert -

Am 2011-11-18 um 13:51 schrieb Chris Cunnington:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> As release manager, those look like worthwhile late additions me. But the person doing the adding would be you.
> You could submit those to the Inbox and it would be up to the image builders.

Done. Note that squeaksource3/ss3 was already there.

BEst
        -TObias

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Edgar De Cleene

On 11/19/11 5:57 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:32:58 +0100
> Subject: [squeak-dev] Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> <[hidden email]>
>
> Could someone update the alpha download? It would be useful to have a
> current version for testing.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

I have some ready, I interim nominate Squeak4.3gamma-11793
3081 run, 3050 passes, 7 expected failures, 20 failures, 2 errors, 2
unexpected passes
Failures
DependencyBrowserTest>>#testClassList
ExceptionTests>>#testHandlerFromAction
MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromFile
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromStream
MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorAt
MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorInstVarAt
PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
PackageDependencyTest>>#testMonticello
PackageDependencyTest>>#testNetwork
PackageDependencyTest>>#testST80
PackageDependencyTest>>#testSystem
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilder
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderMVC
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderSUnit
ProcessTest>>#testAtomicSuspend
RWBinaryOrTextStreamTest>>#testExisiting
ReleaseTest>>#testNoObsoleteClasses
SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
SocketTest>>#testUDP
SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded
WeakSetInspectorTest>>#testSymbolTableM6812

Errors
CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformInSuperclassCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps

And when running the test , the debugger shows something related to
primitive socket (sorry , no external log to attach)

We need a Welcome Window showing what is new and About Squeak should say is
4.3 and not 4.2

I uploaded for all test

Wait some minutes

Edgar

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Edgar De Cleene

Here I found the external debugger log

Edgar

SqueakDebug.log (3K) Download Attachment

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Nicolas Cellier
2011/11/19 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 11/19/11 5:57 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:32:58 +0100
>> Subject: [squeak-dev] Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today
>> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Could someone update the alpha download? It would be useful to have a
>> current version for testing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>

> I have some ready, I interim nominate Squeak4.3gamma-11793
> 3081 run, 3050 passes, 7 expected failures, 20 failures, 2 errors, 2
> unexpected passes
> Failures

> DependencyBrowserTest>>#testClassList

        "Warning! When Collections' dependencies change, this test may start to fail!"
OK, the usual dependency weakness, see below

> ExceptionTests>>#testHandlerFromAction

Only the documentation is new, not the failure.
IMO it should be classified as expected.

> MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter

This one fails only once, when I replay, it passes.
IMO the test should be rewritten.

> MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromFile
> MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromStream

They didn't fail for me...

> MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorAt
> MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorInstVarAt

These should be expected with a non-cog VM no?

> PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testMonticello
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testNetwork
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testST80
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testSystem
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilder
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderMVC
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderSUnit

I never had these tests working correctly in my images...
I just have to try and diff/merge a Pharo MC subpackage, this creates
a new package info (like Multilingual-Languages)...
This then breaks all dependency tests (some 'Multilingual'
dependencies have disappeared and some 'Multilingual-Languages' have
appeared)
All this by the sole effect of browsing diffs - without performing any
change in the image...
That's pretty weak

> ProcessTest>>#testAtomicSuspend

?? VM problem ??

> RWBinaryOrTextStreamTest>>#testExisiting

Seems like a new test documenting an old API problem
I hate RWBinaryOrTextStream anyway, the name stinks.

> ReleaseTest>>#testNoObsoleteClasses

It remains to see where these obsolete references come from... Does
this happen in a pure 4.2 trunk updated to latest ?

> SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse

This one happens to me on a Mac because I have some OS security pop up.

> SocketTest>>#testUDP

It sounds like a VM problem...

> SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded

We should correct this one.
Note that I don't much like the usage of file 'temp.changes', i
sometimes happen to have such files in use...

> WeakSetInspectorTest>>#testSymbolTableM6812

Doesn't appear here...

> Errors
> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformInSuperclassCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps

The last one is expected on non cog-VM (maybe the test should be
protected with a shouldnt:raise: to transform the error into a
failure).
I can't remember why the first would fail??? it doesn't for me, either
in VM4.2.5 not in COG.

Nicolas

> And when running the test , the debugger shows something related to
> primitive socket (sorry , no external log to attach)
>
> We need a Welcome Window showing what is new and About Squeak should say is
> 4.3 and not 4.2
>
> I uploaded for all test
>
> Wait some minutes
>
> Edgar

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Edgar De Cleene

On 11/19/11 11:55 AM, "Nicolas Cellier" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Note that I don't much like the usage of file 'temp.changes', i
> sometimes happen to have such files in use...
>
>> WeakSetInspectorTest>>#testSymbolTableM6812
>
> Doesn't appear here...
>
>> Errors
>> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
>> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformInSuperclassCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
>
> The last one is expected on non cog-VM (maybe the test should be
> protected with a shouldnt:raise: to transform the error into a
> failure).
> I can't remember why the first would fail??? it doesn't for me, either
> in VM4.2.5 not in COG.
>
> Nicolas
>

>> And when running the test , the debugger shows something related to
>> primitive socket (sorry , no external log to attach)
>>
>> We need a Welcome Window showing what is new and About Squeak should say is

Nico you 're right.

All test was in Mac 4.2.5.
Running with Squeak 5.8b4 I have a crash

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

Edgar De Cleene

More test with different VM

Image
-----
/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.3alpha-11722
Folder/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.image
Squeak4.2
latest update: #11793
Current Change Set: Unnamed1

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Applications/Cog 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Croquet
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.78] Croquet Cog
3.0.0
Mac OS X built on Jun 17 2011 13:29:23 Compiler: 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build
5666) (dot 3)
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.78 uuid:
412444c6-36dc-48be-b5cd-a6ebc4ade0bb Jun 17 2011
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-oscog.51 uuid:
d213bf61-5898-475b-8a5c-e4a9bdad2415 Jun 17 2011

3081 run, 3057 passes, 5 expected failures, 19 failures, 0 errors, 0
unexpected passes

Failures

AllocationTest>>#testOneGigAllocation
BecomeTest>>#testBecomeIdentityHash
DependencyBrowserTest>>#testClassList
ExceptionTests>>#testHandlerFromAction
FileStreamTest>>#testPositionPastEndIsAtEnd
MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromFile
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromStream
PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
PackageDependencyTest>>#testMonticello
PackageDependencyTest>>#testNetwork
PackageDependencyTest>>#testST80
PackageDependencyTest>>#testSystem
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilder
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderMVC
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderSUnit
RWBinaryOrTextStreamTest>>#testExisiting
ReleaseTest>>#testNoObsoleteClasses
SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded

Edgar

Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today

laza

2011/11/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded
>
> We should correct this one.

I still have some bits that I hopefully find time tonight to commit. When was that codefreeze exactly?

> Note that I don't much like the usage of file 'temp.changes', i
> sometimes happen to have such files in use...

True! That's already changed.

Alex

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2011/11/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>>> SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded
>>
>> We should correct this one.
>
> I still have some bits that I hopefully find time tonight to commit. When
> was that codefreeze exactly?

Tomorrow, but we have plenty of bugs to fix.

Levente

>> Note that I don't much like the usage of file 'temp.changes', i
>> sometimes happen to have such files in use...
>
> True! That's already changed.
>
> Alex

Why is SystemChangeFileTest >> #testClassAdded failing (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2011/11/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>>> SystemChangeFileTest>>#testClassAdded
>>
>> We should correct this one.

This is a tricky issue. The test is failing, because SmalltalkImage >>
#event: doesn't log class additions, the code is commented out. The reason
why it's commented out is (probably) because otherwise the class creation
is logged twice. The reason for the double logging is that Browser >>
#defineClass:notifying: forces logging while it evaluates the class
definition, so a DoIt is also written to the changes file. Changing the
evaluation code to

  class := oldClass subclassDefinerClass
  evaluate: defString
  notifying: aController
  logged: false.

solves this issue. But what will happen when you create a class in a
workspace? It will be logged twice. Once by the class addition and once by
the DoIt.

I think double logging is not a real issue. It may slow things down a
bit when you're recovering from the changes, and make your changes file
a bit larger, but it's better to log it twice, than none, which is the
current case, when you create a class from code.

So, I suggest uncommenting the logging of class additions in
SmalltalkImage >> #event:, then turning off logging in Browser >>
#defineClass:notifying:. Any objections?

Levente

> I still have some bits that I hopefully find time tonight to commit. When
> was that codefreeze exactly?
>
>> Note that I don't much like the usage of file 'temp.changes', i
>> sometimes happen to have such files in use...
>
> True! That's already changed.
>
> Alex

Re: Why is SystemChangeFileTest >> #testClassAdded failing (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: 4.3 Release Schedule: Feature freeze today)

laza
Hi Levente!

2011/12/8 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
> I think double logging is not a real issue. It may slow things down a bit
> when you're recovering from the changes, and make your changes file a bit
> larger, but it's better to log it twice, than none, which is the current
> case, when you create a class from code.
>
> So, I suggest uncommenting the logging of class additions in SmalltalkImage
>>> #event:, then turning off logging in Browser >> #defineClass:notifying:.
> Any objections?

You are right. I left this out to avoid duplicate entries in the
changes file, as it used to be that way since I guess 3.6.
And I had the concern, that on a fileIn there would be duplicate
entries as well, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
(I guess a comment would have helped here :}

So I guess it's ok to uncomment that code as well.

Alex