4.4 ready?

12

4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
- an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?

My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
do others think?

One thing we _don't_ have is an "All-in-one" one-click type installer
for the various OSes. If someone can show me what to do, I can add a
job to spit out such a thing.

frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Hannes Hirzel
+1

On 12/29/12, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Frank Shearar
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
>> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
>> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>>
>> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
>> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
>> do others think
>

> +1

Re: 4.4 ready?

glenpaling
+1

H. Hirzel wrote
+1

On 12/29/12, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Frank Shearar
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
>> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
>> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>>
>> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
>> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
>> do others think
>

> +1

Re: 4.4 ready?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>
> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
> do others think?

I think it's time to release it, even though SqueakSSL doesn't like the
network changes.

Levente

> One thing we _don't_ have is an "All-in-one" one-click type installer
> for the various OSes. If someone can show me what to do, I can add a
> job to spit out such a thing.
>
> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 18:49, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
>> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
>> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>>
>> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
>> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
>> do others think?
>>

> I think it's time to release it, even though SqueakSSL doesn't like the
> network changes.

OK. Once I uncover whatever's hanging the SqueakTrunk build I'll yell,
and we can give the ReleaseSqueakTrunk artifact one more whirl and
declare victory.

frank

> Levente
>

>> One thing we _don't_ have is an "All-in-one" one-click type installer
>> for the various OSes. If someone can show me what to do, I can add a
>> job to spit out such a thing.
>>
>> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

dcorking
How about deleting the broken 'set language' menu entry from
TheWorldMenu>>helpMenu
that David Lewis patched on Thursday? (*)

It seems misleading to ship with a menu item that does nothing.

Will Squeak 4.4 ship with any localizations, or only in English? If
not, then probably it is ok to delete the menu entry and wait for 4.5
to fix the localization regression.

Have fun and thanks for a great imminent release! David

* {'set language...' . {Project. #chooseNaturalLanguage}.
as mentioned in
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-December/167265.html

p.s. I can't find the draft release notes on the mailing list or the
swiki.  (I guess they aren't in the update stream. If they are, I am
afraid I don't know what method shows them.) Could someone post a link for me
please?

p.p.s. I am starting to hate 'new compose' in Gmail. squeak-dev
moderator please delete the earlier version of this message I sent
from an unsubscribed address.

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 21:15, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about deleting the broken 'set language' menu entry from
> TheWorldMenu>>helpMenu
> that David Lewis patched on Thursday? (*)
>
> It seems misleading to ship with a menu item that does nothing.
>
> Will Squeak 4.4 ship with any localizations, or only in English? If
> not, then probably it is ok to delete the menu entry and wait for 4.5
> to fix the localization regression.
>
> Have fun and thanks for a great imminent release! David
>
> * {'set language...' . {Project. #chooseNaturalLanguage}.
> as mentioned in
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-December/167265.html
>
> p.s. I can't find the draft release notes on the mailing list or the
> swiki.  (I guess they aren't in the update stream. If they are, I am
> afraid I don't know what method shows them.) Could someone post a link for me
> please?

The release notes do actually appear in the update stream, in the
sense that the copy in the Welcome Workspaces appears in one of the
more recent Morphic updates. (I plan to remove this at some point in
4.5: the Morphic package shouldn't depend on the ReleaseBuilder
package.)

But otherwise, if you grab a release candidate from here -
http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.4-12324.zip
- you'll get the release notes. They're deliberately short on detail,
just punchy highlights. I think you may have asked for more detail on
the Etoys network merge, so maybe you've actually seen them?

frank

> p.p.s. I am starting to hate 'new compose' in Gmail. squeak-dev
> moderator please delete the earlier version of this message I sent
> from an unsubscribed address.

Re: 4.4 ready?

Edgar De Cleene

On 12/29/12 1:06 PM, "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>
> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
> do others think?
>
> One thing we _don't_ have is an "All-in-one" one-click type installer
> for the various OSes. If someone can show me what to do, I can add a
> job to spit out such a thing.
>
> frank
+1

Good job !!!

Edgar

Re: 4.4 ready?

dcorking
Frank Shearar  wrote:

>> p.s. I can't find the draft release notes on the mailing list or the
>> swiki.  (I guess they aren't in the update stream. If they are, I am
>> afraid I don't know what method shows them.) Could someone post a link for me
>> please?
>
> The release notes do actually appear in the update stream, in the
> sense that the copy in the Welcome Workspaces appears in one of the
> more recent Morphic updates.
> They're deliberately short on detail,
> just punchy highlights.

Thanks to your hint I found them:

TheWorldMainDockingBar sourceCodeAt: #welcomeToSqueak

Punchy highlights are good.

> I think you may have asked for more detail on
> the Etoys network merge, so maybe you've actually seen them?

That wasn't me. That was Gary Dunn.

> (I plan to remove this at some point in
> 4.5: the Morphic package shouldn't depend on the ReleaseBuilder
> package.)

(You will move it to another trunk package, I hope. Maybe it is my
background in text-based languages, but I like to see release notes
under source code control, as they are now.)

Have fun! David

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 21:47, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar  wrote:
>
>>> p.s. I can't find the draft release notes on the mailing list or the
>>> swiki.  (I guess they aren't in the update stream. If they are, I am
>>> afraid I don't know what method shows them.) Could someone post a link for me
>>> please?
>>
>> The release notes do actually appear in the update stream, in the
>> sense that the copy in the Welcome Workspaces appears in one of the
>> more recent Morphic updates.
>> They're deliberately short on detail,
>> just punchy highlights.
>
> Thanks to your hint I found them:
>
> TheWorldMainDockingBar sourceCodeAt: #welcomeToSqueak
>
> Punchy highlights are good.
>
>> I think you may have asked for more detail on
>> the Etoys network merge, so maybe you've actually seen them?
>
> That wasn't me. That was Gary Dunn.
>
>> (I plan to remove this at some point in
>> 4.5: the Morphic package shouldn't depend on the ReleaseBuilder
>> package.)
>
> (You will move it to another trunk package, I hope. Maybe it is my
> background in text-based languages, but I like to see release notes
> under source code control, as they are now.)

They will certainly remain under source code control. I haven't
thought how to break that Morphic->ReleaseBuilder dependency, but it
feels right for ReleaseBuilder to have the release notes.

frank

> Have fun! David

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 21:06, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 December 2012 18:49, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> Other than the fact that the last two builds for SqueakTrunk have hung
>>> - an issue I'm looking into, but wouldn't mind others trying their
>>> luck - are we happy enough with 4.4 that we'd want to ship it?
>>>
>>> My gut feel is (and with my Release Manager hat on), judging by the
>>> low severity of the few reports we're seeing, that we're there. What
>>> do others think?
>>>

>> I think it's time to release it, even though SqueakSSL doesn't like the
>> network changes.
>
> OK. Once I uncover whatever's hanging the SqueakTrunk build I'll yell,
> and we can give the ReleaseSqueakTrunk artifact one more whirl and
> declare victory.

It MAY be that there was an intermittent issue with source.squeak.org
not accepting connections: I saw a ConnectionRefused while trying to
reproduce the hung build locally. That could be because of my flakey
home wifi, but then again (a) such an exception would raise a debugger
and hang the build and (b) the builds have started not hanging [1]. At
any rate, they do log a lot more: the update number, the tests they're
running, and so on.

[1] http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk/83/console

> frank
>
>> Levente
>>

>>> One thing we _don't_ have is an "All-in-one" one-click type installer
>>> for the various OSes. If someone can show me what to do, I can add a
>>> job to spit out such a thing.
>>>
>>> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2012 22:15, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 December 2012 21:06, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think it's time to release it, even though SqueakSSL doesn't like the
>>> network changes.
>>
>> OK. Once I uncover whatever's hanging the SqueakTrunk build I'll yell,
>> and we can give the ReleaseSqueakTrunk artifact one more whirl and
>> declare victory.
>
> It MAY be that there was an intermittent issue with source.squeak.org
> not accepting connections: I saw a ConnectionRefused while trying to
> reproduce the hung build locally. That could be because of my flakey
> home wifi, but then again (a) such an exception would raise a debugger
> and hang the build and (b) the builds have started not hanging [1]. At
> any rate, they do log a lot more: the update number, the tests they're
> running, and so on.

SqueakTrunk looks like it's back in business. ReleaseSqueakTrunk still
has issues, because it looks like it's confused (or I've confused it)
as to the artifacts it's supposed to use: it's consistently releasing
12324-based images instead of 12326-based ones. I shall hack on...

frank

> [1] http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk/83/console
>
>> frank
>>
>>> Levente

Re: 4.4 ready?

Nicolas Cellier
I noticed the copyright stops at 2011, it should be at least 2012 (if
you're fast enough...)

Nicolas

2012/12/31 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 29 December 2012 22:15, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> OK. Once I uncover whatever's hanging the SqueakTrunk build I'll yell,
>>> and we can give the ReleaseSqueakTrunk artifact one more whirl and
>>> declare victory.
>>
>> It MAY be that there was an intermittent issue with source.squeak.org
>> not accepting connections: I saw a ConnectionRefused while trying to
>> reproduce the hung build locally. That could be because of my flakey
>> home wifi, but then again (a) such an exception would raise a debugger
>> and hang the build and (b) the builds have started not hanging [1]. At
>> any rate, they do log a lot more: the update number, the tests they're
>> running, and so on.
>
> SqueakTrunk looks like it's back in business. ReleaseSqueakTrunk still
> has issues, because it looks like it's confused (or I've confused it)
> as to the artifacts it's supposed to use: it's consistently releasing
> 12324-based images instead of 12326-based ones. I shall hack on...
>
> frank
>
>> [1] http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk/83/console
>>
>>> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2012 14:03, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I noticed the copyright stops at 2011, it should be at least 2012 (if
> you're fast enough...)

Where does that appear?

frank

> Nicolas
>
> 2012/12/31 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

>>> It MAY be that there was an intermittent issue with source.squeak.org
>>> not accepting connections: I saw a ConnectionRefused while trying to
>>> reproduce the hung build locally. That could be because of my flakey
>>> home wifi, but then again (a) such an exception would raise a debugger
>>> and hang the build and (b) the builds have started not hanging [1]. At
>>> any rate, they do log a lot more: the update number, the tests they're
>>> running, and so on.
>>
>> SqueakTrunk looks like it's back in business. ReleaseSqueakTrunk still
>> has issues, because it looks like it's confused (or I've confused it)
>> as to the artifacts it's supposed to use: it's consistently releasing
>> 12324-based images instead of 12326-based ones. I shall hack on...
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> [1] http://squeakci.org/job/SqueakTrunk/83/console

Re: 4.4 ready?

Nicolas Cellier
2012/12/31 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
> On 31 December 2012 14:03, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I noticed the copyright stops at 2011, it should be at least 2012 (if
>> you're fast enough...)
>
> Where does that appear?
>
> frank

The  "Licence" workspace

>> Nicolas

>>> SqueakTrunk looks like it's back in business. ReleaseSqueakTrunk still
>>> has issues, because it looks like it's confused (or I've confused it)
>>> as to the artifacts it's supposed to use: it's consistently releasing
>>> 12324-based images instead of 12326-based ones. I shall hack on...
>>>
>>> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2012 14:12, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/31 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>> On 31 December 2012 14:03, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I noticed the copyright stops at 2011, it should be at least 2012 (if
>>> you're fast enough...)
>>
>> Where does that appear?
>>
>> frank
>>

> The  "Licence" workspace

Thanks! System-fbs.506 contains the fix. And I beat the
ReleaseSqueakTrunk job into submission:
http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.4-12326.zip

I'd really like to release this guy today, so if anyone has anything
_urgent_ to get in, now's the time.

I still have to do two more things for this release: populate the 44
update stream, and then declare 4.4 finished. I don't think we need to
do anything further to make trunk ready for 4.5, do we? 4.5 alpha just
becomes the update after 4.4 splits off.

Regarding the All-in-One, is it sufficient to take the 4.3 one and
replace the Cog and image/changes file in it to produce a new one?

frank

>>> Nicolas

Re: 4.4 ready?

glenpaling
Frank Shearar-3 wrote
Regarding the All-in-One, is it sufficient to take the 4.3 one and
replace the Cog and image/changes file in it to produce a new one?
That's what I've been doing. Just change the image name in: squeak.sh, squeak.ini and info.plist for Unix, Windows and OSX respectively. Set the "WindowTitle" to something appropriate in squeak.ini too. Oh, and don't let your text editor muck up the line endings. ;)

Re: 4.4 ready?

Herbert König
Am 31.12.2012 15:30, schrieb Frank Shearar:
> Regarding the All-in-One, is it sufficient to take the 4.3 one and
> replace the Cog and image/changes file in it to produce a new one? frank
yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs some
extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the
old VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2012 15:22, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 31.12.2012 15:30, schrieb Frank Shearar:
>
>> Regarding the All-in-One, is it sufficient to take the 4.3 one and replace
>> the Cog and image/changes file in it to produce a new one? frank
>
> yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs some
> extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the old
> VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.

Mm, it's not just that: there are bits of VM and plugins scattered all
over the place.

frank

> Cheers,
>

> Herbert