4.6 -- codename

Chris Muller-4
"From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
this release.  I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
way too awful for marketing..  :)  Someone help please.

Re: 4.6 -- codename

timrowledge

On 06-03-2015, at 12:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
> this release.

Gearbox. Connects an input cog to an output spur gear

tim
Useful random insult:- Only playing with 51 cards.

Re: 4.6 -- codename

David T. Lewis

> On 06-03-2015, at 12:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
>> this release.
>
> Gearbox. Connects an input cog to an output spur gear
>

> tim
> Useful random insult:- Only playing with 51 cards.

"Gearbox" is perfect! I like it.

<ot>
The IBM Gearbox (http://www.meco.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7938) was
a heavily hyped PC based product for industrial applications back in the
1990s. But I don't think they will mind if we liberate the name and apply
it to a more noble purpose.
</ot>

Dave

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/6/15, 5:24 PM, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
> this release.  I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
> way too awful for marketing..  :)  Someone help please.

Comeback

Edgar

Re: 4.6 -- codename

marcel.taeumel (old)
It's going to be a spring release. What about flower names? :-D

Mulberry -- meaning some kind of prudence

Here are more: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/list-of-flower-names-and-meanings-of-flowers.html

Best,
Marcel

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/7/15, 8:38 AM, "Marcel Taeumel"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's going to be a spring release

Not here !! :=)
El Sur tambien existe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZF6fHU-zEY

Edgar

Re: 4.6 -- codename

marcel.taeumel (old)
Ah, sorry. :) You like flowers anyway? ;)

Best,
Marcel
tty

Re: 4.6 -- codename

tty
 I think the codename should honor Eliot in some manner. How about naming it "Eliot" ?

---- On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:24:39 -0500 Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote ----
"From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
this release. I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
way too awful for marketing.. :) Someone help please.

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Tobias Pape
Hi,

On 07.03.2015, at 18:45, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the codename should honor Eliot in some manner. How about naming it "Eliot" ?

While I share your intent, I think we should refrain from code-naming our releases
after people.

Best
        -Tobias

> ---- On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:24:39 -0500 Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
> this release. I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
> way too awful for marketing.. :) Someone help please.

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Ben Coman

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 07.03.2015, at 18:45, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the codename should honor Eliot in some manner. How about naming it "Eliot" ?

While I share your intent, I think we should refrain from code-naming our releases
after people.

Best
        -Tobias

That could be a slippery precedent :)  Now I'm not very involved with Squeak, but just because I like creative brainstorming... continuing with the bicycle theme how about "Rover" after the "Rover Safety - the first model to adopt what we think of as the standard bicycle design...[1]"

cheers -ben

> ---- On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:24:39 -0500 Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
> this release. I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
> way too awful for marketing.. :) Someone help please.

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Ben Coman's message of 2015-03-08 01:06:06 +0100:
> Now I'm not very involved with
> Squeak, but just because I like creative brainstorming... continuing with
> the bicycle theme how about "Rover" after the "Rover Safety - the first
> model to adopt what we think of as the standard bicycle design...[1]"

and while the squeak-devs discuss the bike, others like me can discuss the
color of the bikeshed ;-)

greetings, martin.
ps: this is not a stab at bens suggestion, just that since it involves bikes i
could not resist the pun! apologies to everyone for the off-topic message.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Casey Ransberger-2
My idea was Ratio, when I looked at the subject. Since gear ratios are a thing, and we do fractions well, I thought it might be cute.

Then I read down to Gear Box. That made me think of Music Box, too. Anyway I think Gear Box is pretty good. Ratio is more optimal, however, by a number of bytes;)

--C

On 3/8/15, 12:48 AM, "Casey Ransberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My idea was Ratio, when I looked at the subject. Since gear ratios are a
> thing, and we do fractions well, I thought it might be cute.
>
> Then I read down to Gear Box. That made me think of Music Box, too. Anyway I
> think Gear Box is pretty good. Ratio is more optimal, however, by a number of
> bytes;)
>
> --C
>
>> On Mar 6, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "From Cog to Spur" -- we need a snappy codename that makes sense for
>> this release.  I thought about "Cowboy" for a few seconds, but that's
>> way too awful for marketing..  :)  Someone help please.

Ratio seems a good name..

€ the relative value of silver and gold in a bimetallic system of currency.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin, literally Œreckoning,¹ from rat-
Œreckoned,¹ from the verb reri .

Edgar

Re: 4.6 -- codename

Eliot Miranda-2
On Mar 7, 2015, at 9:45 AM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I think the codename should honor Eliot in some manner. How about naming it "Eliot" ?

-1 ;)

A pun on Spur that implies the inflection and splitting of 4.6 from 5 in the move to the Spur object representation would be "Saddle".