6.5 news: Convenience with auto subelements

6.5 news: Convenience with auto subelements

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

First please find me naming and explanation of this feature better.

It is like you can work with tables easily just by using e cell, e
newCell, e newRow etc. See example here: http://www.aidaweb.si/tables .

Namely, I just introduced the same convenient composing for all
structural tags from divs and spans to new HTML5 headers, footers etc.

Most common subdivs can be now created with:

        e newDiv

Until you create a new one with another e newDiv, the current one can be
referenced simply by:

        e div

You can nest more divs simply by nesting those calls. Two level divs:

        e newDiv newDiv

And because div is automatically created at first #div call this can
become simply as:

        e div div

Now your typical page with ordered list included would look like:

MyPAgeApp>>#viewMain
  | e |
  e := WebElement new.

  e newHeader
     id: #header;
     addTextH1: 'My page'.

  e newSection
     id: #content;
     addText: 'Here comes my list'.

  e section newList ordered
     addText: 'First in list';
     addText: 'Second in list'.

  e newFooter
     id: #footer;
     addText: 'My footer'.

  self add e.

Old way looks much uglier, specially list part:

MyPAgeApp>>#viewMain
  | e content list |
  e := WebElement new

  (e add: (WebElement newHeader id: #header))
    addTextH1: 'My page'.

  content := e add: (WebElement newSection id: #content).
  content addText: 'Here comes my list'.

  list := content add: WebList newOrdered.
  list
    addText: 'First in list';
    addText: 'Second in list'.

  (e newFooter id: #footer))
    addText: 'My footer'.

  self add e.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: 6.5 news: Convenience with auto subelements

Martin Polák
Hi Janko,

8. 8. 2012 v 12:13, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> First please find me naming and explanation of this feature better.
>
> It is like you can work with tables easily just by using e cell, e
> newCell, e newRow etc. See example here: http://www.aidaweb.si/tables .
>
> Namely, I just introduced the same convenient composing for all
> structural tags from divs and spans to new HTML5 headers, footers etc.
>
> Most common subdivs can be now created with:
>
> e newDiv
>
> Until you create a new one with another e newDiv, the current one can be
> referenced simply by:
>
> e div
>
> You can nest more divs simply by nesting those calls. Two level divs:
>
> e newDiv newDiv
>
> And because div is automatically created at first #div call this can
> become simply as:
>
> e div div
>
> Now your typical page with ordered list included would look like:
>
> MyPAgeApp>>#viewMain
>  | e |
>  e := WebElement new.
>
>  e newHeader
>     id: #header;
>     addTextH1: 'My page'.
>
>  e newSection
>     id: #content;
>     addText: 'Here comes my list'.
>
>  e section newList ordered
>     addText: 'First in list';
>     addText: 'Second in list'.
>
>  e newFooter
>     id: #footer;
>     addText: 'My footer'.
>
>  self add e.

This looks really good. The #newHeader #newFooter are HTML5 elements? The code looks very clean compared that bellow, so it is definitely step forward.

> Old way looks much uglier, specially list part:
>
> MyPAgeApp>>#viewMain
>  | e content list |
>  e := WebElement new
>
>  (e add: (WebElement newHeader id: #header))
>    addTextH1: 'My page'.
>
>  content := e add: (WebElement newSection id: #content).
>  content addText: 'Here comes my list'.
>
>  list := content add: WebList newOrdered.
>  list
>    addText: 'First in list';
>    addText: 'Second in list'.
>

>  (e newFooter id: #footer))