64 bit Squeak VMMaker success report

David T. Lewis
I have managed to get a 64 bit image to the point where I can load
VMMaker 3.8b6 from an MCZ file, and can generate a VM from recent
Subversion sources (SVN 1546) directly from the 64 bit image. I
generated internal plugins BallonEnginePlugin, BitBltSimulation,
FilePlugin, and SocketPlugin along with external plugins AioPlugin,
OSProcessPlugin, and XDisplayControlPlugin. After building the VM
from these sources on an AMD 64 Linux system, I can run the 64 bit
image on the new VM.

This is the first time that I have gotten a 64 bit image to be
reasonably self-hosting with VMM and up-to-date SVN sources, so
I thought it was worth a mention.

Dave

RE: 64 bit Squeak VMMaker success report

barger

It seems that this is the big improvemnet for future development of 64 VM
and images. At least people like i ( who is not dev. masters on C and Linux
) can try to use 64 bit squeak on their machines.

Please ask Ian to put it on squeakvm or at least update it once more on my
ftp.barnet.sk l: squeak p: squeak.

 Thanks Jan Barger

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:34:28AM +0100, barger wrote:

> It seems that this is the big improvemnet for future development of 64 VM
> and images. At least people like i ( who is not dev. masters on C and Linux
> ) can try to use 64 bit squeak on their machines.
>

> Please ask Ian to put it on squeakvm or at least update it once more on my
> ftp.barnet.sk l: squeak p: squeak.

Jan,

I put sq64-10-dtl.tgz on your ftp site. This contains an image with
VMMaker, OSPP, and a few unofficial fixes. You can use it with current
platform sources from Subversion.

I don't think that anyone keeps images on squeakvm, aside from the
original one that was provided a couple of years ago. You should consider
that as a reference implementation that shows what can be done, not as
a supported product. But the good news is that Ian and Dan did all of
the hard work, and if a few of us pitch in to update the plugins and
do some other maintenance work on it, then 64-bit Squeak will work
just fine.

Dave

RE: 64 bit Squeak VMMaker success report

barger

Hi, I dont want to supply squeakvm.org , but if anyone is seeking for 64bit
squeak it is better to make some place which is for this temporary time
alive and updated with any, for instance onofficial software if official is
not in sync. Now this your work can be available for people who seek thru
vm-dev and maybe more new people will start to work on 64bit vm.

J.