64 bit Visualworks?

david.long
Hello everyone,

are there any issues running 64 bit VisualWorks? Will it work ok under 64 bit Linux?

thanks,

David

Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

Mathieu van Echtelt-2
Yes, we run several vw7.6 64bit (debian linux) images.

But we still do all development with 32bit, because:

- compiling code, can crash the image (especially when class def changes)

But when a 64bit image it is eventually build  (step by step &  trail
and error) and deployed, it keeps running our server app without any
problems.

greetings,

Mathieu

ps. In vw7.7 the 64bit support should be better, but we've no
experience with it.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM, David Long <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> are there any issues running 64 bit VisualWorks? Will it work ok under 64
> bit Linux?
>
> thanks,
>
> David

AG5
Timorplein 37
1094 CC
Amsterdam

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Re: [Bulk] Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

Alan Knight-3
Yes, there were issues related to class creation and garbage collection of obsolete classes that were fixed in 7.7, along with quite a number of other issues.

At 05:05 AM 2010-02-15, Mathieu van Echtelt wrote:
Yes, we run several vw7.6 64bit (debian linux) images.

But we still do all development with 32bit, because:

- compiling code, can crash the image (especially when class def changes)

But when a 64bit image it is eventually build  (step by step &  trail
and error) and deployed, it keeps running our server app without any
problems.

greetings,

Mathieu

ps. In vw7.7 the 64bit support should be better, but we've no
experience with it.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM, David Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> are there any issues running 64 bit VisualWorks? Will it work ok under 64
> bit Linux?
>
> thanks,
>
> David

AG5
Timorplein 37
1094 CC
Amsterdam

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

Andres Valloud-6
I believe the problems below have been addressed.  The issue I know of
was that the IGC (incremental garbage collector) could collect classes
from under existing instances in some cases.  As a workaround, you can
disable the IGC.  The newer 7.8 VMs have the fix.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> are there any issues running 64 bit VisualWorks? Will it work ok under

> 64 bit Linux?
>
> thanks,
>
> David

AG5
Timorplein 37
1094 CC
Amsterdam

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

Alan Knight-3
Specifically, the scenario under which this can happen is as follows. A new class is created and, while the garbage collector has not yet reached the class table, adopts instances that already exist in old space. This could happen if loading a new definition for a class, where we create the definition as a new class, and then become: the old one. The garbage collector then processes the class table, and we delete all references to the new class. At that point the class should be kept, because it has instances which point to it, but the fact that they point to it has been lost.

However, for this to happen, we'd have to have a class, created as such, with instances, to which all references had been deleted, other than those from the instances. So it could not, for example, be a subclass of anything, because it would be listed in the subclasses instance variable of the parent class.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> are there any issues running 64 bit VisualWorks? Will it work ok under

> 64 bit Linux?
>
> thanks,
>
> David

AG5
Timorplein 37
1094 CC
Amsterdam

T  020  4630942
F  020  4630946

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

Martin McClure
Mathieu van Echtelt wrote:
> Yes, we run several vw7.6 64bit (debian linux) images.
>
> But we still do all development with 32bit, because:

[...]

> ps. In vw7.7 the 64bit support should be better, but we've no
> experience with it.

We've done fairly extensive development and testing with 64-bit 7.6 and
7.7. 7.7 is *much* better than 7.6. We run on both Linux and Solaris,
and have found no significant problems.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: 64 bit Visualworks?

david.long
Hi Martin,
thanks - this is good to know. I'm confident now that moving to 64 bit
will work.

thanks,
David