64-bit progress/plan

Ben Coman

With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.

cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

EstebanLM

Hi,

this is the status/plan, from Pharo side:

- 64bits cog vm is already working, missing support for some plugins and most important: FFI.
- Eliot is currently working on 64bits FFI (not full time, of course).
- I will start working on pharo 64bits like… right now (bah… in fact in one or two weeks)
- I will adapt UFFI to accept 64bits right after (since it was designing knowing that this was going to happen, it will be fairly straightforward).

In summary, according to my plan: Pharo 5 summer release will include 64bits support :)

cheers,
Esteban

> On 13 May 2016, at 05:45, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
> Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
> Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

Levente Uzonyi

On Fri, 13 May 2016, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is the status/plan, from Pharo side:
>
> - 64bits cog vm is already working, missing support for some plugins and most important: FFI.
> - Eliot is currently working on 64bits FFI (not full time, of course).

FFI works already.

Levente

> - I will start working on pharo 64bits like… right now (bah… in fact in one or two weeks)
> - I will adapt UFFI to accept 64bits right after (since it was designing knowing that this was going to happen, it will be fairly straightforward).
>
> In summary, according to my plan: Pharo 5 summer release will include 64bits support :)
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 13 May 2016, at 05:45, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
>> Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
>> Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

EstebanLM

> On 13 May 2016, at 11:22, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 13 May 2016, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> this is the status/plan, from Pharo side:
>>
>> - 64bits cog vm is already working, missing support for some plugins and most important: FFI.
>> - Eliot is currently working on 64bits FFI (not full time, of course).
>
> FFI works already.

even better :)

> Levente
>
>> - I will start working on pharo 64bits like… right now (bah… in fact in one or two weeks)
>> - I will adapt UFFI to accept 64bits right after (since it was designing knowing that this was going to happen, it will be fairly straightforward).
>>
>> In summary, according to my plan: Pharo 5 summer release will include 64bits support :)
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>>

>>> On 13 May 2016, at 05:45, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
>>> Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
>>> Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Esteban,

> On May 13, 2016, at 2:17 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> this is the status/plan, from Pharo side:
>
> - 64bits cog vm is already working, missing support for some plugins and most important: FFI.
> - Eliot is currently working on 64bits FFI (not full time, of course).

The 64-bit FFI is working; at least the FFI plugin tests work.

> - I will start working on pharo 64bits like… right now (bah… in fact in one or two weeks)
> - I will adapt UFFI to accept 64bits right after (since it was designing knowing that this was going to happen, it will be fairly straightforward).
>
> In summary, according to my plan: Pharo 5 summer release will include 64bits support :)
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 13 May 2016, at 05:45, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
>> Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
>> Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

Eliot Miranda-2

Ben, can you post some urls for messages you think need a response from me?

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On May 12, 2016, at 8:45 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> With the release of Pharo 5, some 64-bit questions arose on reddit.
> Could Eliot and/or Esteban report on current 64-bit progress/plan for
> Squeak/Pharo that could be referred to from other forums.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: 64-bit progress/plan

Ben Coman

Here are two links...