64 bit

mmimica
Hello list!

I was wondering, are you going to provide a 64-bit OneClick package
any time soon? When and what does that depend on?
If not, how do I go about building my own 64-bit image on linux?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: 64 bit

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Milan Mimica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how do I go about building my own 64-bit image on linux?

you can try to follow Mariano's blog posts:
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/journey-through-the-vm/.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: 64 bit

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Milan Mimica <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello list!

I was wondering, are you going to provide a 64-bit OneClick package
any time soon? When and what does that depend on?

mmm not sure. Compile the VM in 64 bits is not that complicated. Problem is that some plugins do not work with 64 bits VM, like FFI.

If not, how do I go about building my own 64-bit image on linux?

I think we already tried. Maybe it was using SystemTracer. For example, here is a 64 bits image: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26274/PharoCore64-1.1-11196-UNSTABLE.zip

Notice that when using VM + image in 64 bits right now, we are NOT taking advantage of all its 64 bits. I mean, you may be able to make it work out of the box in a 64 bits machine/OS but that doesn't mean that the VM + image is using really using the 64. Maybe 32 bits of them are zero ;)
Anyway, at some point in the future, we will have real 64 bits vm, a new object format/header, etc. But not sure it will be "soon".

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: 64 bit

Mariano Martinez Peck
Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. You DO NOT need to have a 64 bits image + VM to make it work in a 64 bits OS/Processor.
All you need is the 32 bits libraries of the OS.
Why do you want a 64 bits image?

On 8 September 2011 09:59, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All you need is the 32 bits libraries of the OS.
> Why do you want a 64 bits image?

Because I don't want to have 500MB of libs installed just for squeak.
My religion forbids me, so no point discussing that :P

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: 64 bit

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Milan Mimica <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 September 2011 09:59, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All you need is the 32 bits libraries of the OS.
> Why do you want a 64 bits image?

Because I don't want to have 500MB of libs installed just for squeak.
My religion forbids me, so no point discussing that :P

What a bad religion. My two years old machine has 500GB HDD. I still don't know what to do with so much space.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: 64 bit

Igor Stasenko
On 8 September 2011 11:43, Milan Mimica <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 09:59, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All you need is the 32 bits libraries of the OS.
>> Why do you want a 64 bits image?
>
> Because I don't want to have 500MB of libs installed just for squeak.
> My religion forbids me, so no point discussing that :P

and my religion forbids me to use 64bit OS.
because i don't see what i cannot do with 32bit one :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: 64 bit

Toon Verwaest-2
On 09/08/2011 11:15 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 11:43, Milan Mimica<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 8 September 2011 09:59, Mariano Martinez Peck<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> All you need is the 32 bits libraries of the OS.
>>> Why do you want a 64 bits image?
>> Because I don't want to have 500MB of libs installed just for squeak.
>> My religion forbids me, so no point discussing that :P
>>
> and my religion forbids me to use 64bit OS.
> because i don't see what i cannot do with 32bit one :)
I guess if you were an OSX or Windows user you'd see quickly why you
need 64bit.

Oh and ... position independent code doesn't work in x86, just x86-64 ;)