64bit support

Gour
Hello,

I'm still waiting for my Slack account to become re-created, so asking
here...how far is 64bit version of Pharo?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the

Re: 64bit support

CyrilFerlicot
Le 15/08/2016 à 21:46, Gour a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm still waiting for my Slack account to become re-created, so asking
> here...how far is 64bit version of Pharo?

Hi Gour,

64bits support should be ready for Pharo 6!

In fact there is already a 64bits VM and Image existing for mac almost
functional. It only miss the support for FFI and libgit2 plugin.

The linux vm and FFI support will be the next steps I think.

In some month I think it will be ready for Mac and Linux.

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: 64bit support

Gour
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:44:49 +0200
"Cyril Ferlicot D."
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Cyril,

> 64bits support should be ready for Pharo 6!

That's great to hear!! Any rough estimate about its ETA?

> In fact there is already a 64bits VM and Image existing for mac almost
> functional. It only miss the support for FFI and libgit2 plugin.

HAving proper FFI support is certainly on my list of required
things...Cool.

> In some month I think it will be ready for Mac and Linux.

It looks as the time is ripe to dive into Pharo asap. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks
himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out

Re: 64bit support

EstebanLM

> On 15 Aug 2016, at 23:09, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:44:49 +0200
> "Cyril Ferlicot D."
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Cyril,
>
>> 64bits support should be ready for Pharo 6!
>
> That's great to hear!! Any rough estimate about its ETA?
>
>> In fact there is already a 64bits VM and Image existing for mac almost
>> functional. It only miss the support for FFI and libgit2 plugin.
>
> HAving proper FFI support is certainly on my list of required
> things…Cool.

FFI should be mostly working (just some details to verify in UFFI, not in the plugin itself)
libgit2 is just to sit and doit (something I didn’t do because is not mandatory to have a fully working image)

Esteban

>> In some month I think it will be ready for Mac and Linux.
>
> It looks as the time is ripe to dive into Pharo asap. ;)
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks
> himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out
> by the three modes of material nature.

Re: 64bit support

Peter Uhnak
Is there a timeline for 64bit on Windows? Also will it make the Windows VM even more unstable, or can it help? #askingforafriend

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2016, at 23:09, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:44:49 +0200
> "Cyril Ferlicot D."
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Cyril,
>
>> 64bits support should be ready for Pharo 6!
>
> That's great to hear!! Any rough estimate about its ETA?
>
>> In fact there is already a 64bits VM and Image existing for mac almost
>> functional. It only miss the support for FFI and libgit2 plugin.
>
> HAving proper FFI support is certainly on my list of required
> things…Cool.

FFI should be mostly working (just some details to verify in UFFI, not in the plugin itself)
libgit2 is just to sit and doit (something I didn’t do because is not mandatory to have a fully working image)

Esteban

>> In some month I think it will be ready for Mac and Linux.
>
> It looks as the time is ripe to dive into Pharo asap. ;)
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks
> himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out
> by the three modes of material nature.

Re: 64bit support

Clément Béra
The 64 bits linux and mac VM have been working for more than 6 months. They've been in production in a company since April or something like that. Latest product are built by Travis and available here:
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog#files. Pharo provides a Pharo-flavored VM with a different logo and additional plugins. No 64 bits Pharo-flavored VM seems to be available, so the support right now is incomplete on 64bits due to missing plugins (no FreeType, Cairo binding, etc.), however I am taking care that the Pharo image still starts and works normally on the main build, so only some features are not working.

The 64 bits Pharo image is available on http://files.pharo.org/image/60/ (See for example latest-64.zip).

The FFI plugin is working but the UFFI front-end may have little issues. The issues should be minor so the complete support shouldn't take long.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a timeline for 64bit on Windows?

There has been a working 64 bits VM on windows for a month now. It has been merged with the main code base recently. 64 bits windows VM are not compiled automatically yet so you have to compile it yourself if you want to use it. The repo is here: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm and the build.win64x64 folder has a HowToBuild file.

Also will it make the Windows VM even more unstable, or can it help? #askingforafriend

Precise what you are talking about and I can answer.

On 16 Aug 2016, at 15:51, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

The 64 bits linux and mac VM have been working for more than 6 months. They've been in production in a company since April or something like that. Latest product are built by Travis and available here:
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog#files. Pharo provides a Pharo-flavored VM with a different logo and additional plugins. No 64 bits Pharo-flavored VM seems to be available, so the support right now is incomplete on 64bits due to missing plugins (no FreeType, Cairo binding, etc.), however I am taking care that the Pharo image still starts and works normally on the main build, so only some features are not working.

yes… additionally, is my intention to release a "64bits preview” for mac at ESUG… and when that happens it will be here:

(also made for travis).

- no, those 2 files there are not valid (you will not be able to run them), but I hope to have some valid ones later in the week.
- what fails is travis build, I can build them in my machine… so is very close.
- linux is harder (for me) because it means modify autoconf files and I do not do that since… like 15years… if someone wants to help, please tell it :)
- windows support will come right after

Esteban

The 64 bits Pharo image is available on http://files.pharo.org/image/60/ (See for example latest-64.zip).

or here: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-64.zip (but is same file :P)

The FFI plugin is working but the UFFI front-end may have little issues. The issues should be minor so the complete support shouldn't take long.

yep… I will try to check that before ESUG too… but no promises because I have some presentations to prepare :S

cheers,
Esteban

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 03:51:30PM +0200, Clément Bera wrote:

> The 64 bits linux and mac VM have been working for more than 6 months.
> They've been in production in a company since April or something like that.
> Latest product are built by Travis and available here:
> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog#files. Pharo provides a
> Pharo-flavored VM with a different logo and additional plugins. No 64 bits
> Pharo-flavored VM seems to be available, so the support right now is
> incomplete on 64bits due to missing plugins (no FreeType, Cairo binding,
> etc.), however I am taking care that the Pharo image still starts and works
> normally on the main build, so only some features are not working.
>
> The 64 bits Pharo image is available on http://files.pharo.org/image/60/
> (See for example latest-64.zip).
>
> The FFI plugin is working but the UFFI front-end may have little issues.
> The issues should be minor so the complete support shouldn't take long.
>
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there a timeline for 64bit on Windows?
> >

> There has been a working 64 bits VM on windows for a month now. It has been
> merged with the main code base recently. 64 bits windows VM are not
> compiled automatically yet so you have to compile it yourself if you want
> to use it. The repo is here:
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm and the build.win64x64
> folder has a HowToBuild file.
>

> > Also will it make the Windows VM even more unstable, or can it help?
> > #askingforafriend
> >

> Precise what you are talking about and I can answer.

Well there was a lot of instability (I still crash regularly), mostly related to Cairo/GrafPort and FT.
On windows I didn't even get dumps, so I can only suspect it was the same issue.

But I guess since there are no plugins for this, it wouldn't work at all at the moment, but we will when it rolls in.

Peter

Re: 64bit support

stepharo
Peter this is important that the default 32 bits Pharo works well on
windows.

Please report any crash. This is important that we hear that it is not
working.

Stef