7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Tim Mackinnon
Moving this to a new thread - to avoid historic confusion as I’m seeing a much clearer pattern now.

In 7.0.1 (osx - high Sierra - launcher), I was seeing the odd font glitch (where characters suddenly start glyphing in code and menus - see photos) and it seemed to be fixable by saving your image the first time (e.g. after 30+ mins you would see this in a new install). Once the image was saved, this seemed to stick and never be a problem.

In 7.0.2 this is now happening to me very 10-60 mins. The save fix still works - the moment you save the glyphs will all just disappear until it happens again.

Is anyone else getting this so easily in 7.0.2 (are others using 7.0.2). Has something changed in 7.0.2 that would cause this (the change list was quite small - however its noted the welcome screen is broken in this build too , so maybe that is related)?

My image is actually pretty small - just load Exercism , which relies on OSProcess, now Mocketry (with StateSpecs and Ghost) and in this occurrence I have also loaded Mirage (the lack of a decent keyboard window switcher was getting me down and mirage seems to nail that MRU style behaviour to switch between a test window and code window).

It could be one of these things is the culprit (potentially mirage - as that is the newest edition, so I will create a new image and leave it out) - but wondering if others are seeing this? Or possibly I’ve found the right combination that reliably triggers this annoying issue.

Tim

" alt="PastedGraphic-9.png" apple-inline="yes" class="Apple-web-attachment" width="422" height="195" src="cid:C7359974-BA36-4D1D-A452-52EE8A91B9FF">

C7359974-BA36-4D1D-A452-52EE8A91B9FF.png (72K) Download Attachment

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I am on the latest macOS, my 64-bit 7.0.2 image with lots of code (Bootstrap/Seaside/...) is running fine. I did not fiddle with the fonts, just switched to Dark look.

I avoid loading any packages that use native code, unless it is very well proven and/or part of the standard image (IceBerg for example).

I have none of the issues you describe.

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 00:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Moving this to a new thread - to avoid historic confusion as I’m seeing a much clearer pattern now.
>
> In 7.0.1 (osx - high Sierra - launcher), I was seeing the odd font glitch (where characters suddenly start glyphing in code and menus - see photos) and it seemed to be fixable by saving your image the first time (e.g. after 30+ mins you would see this in a new install). Once the image was saved, this seemed to stick and never be a problem.
>
> In 7.0.2 this is now happening to me very 10-60 mins. The save fix still works - the moment you save the glyphs will all just disappear until it happens again.
>
> Is anyone else getting this so easily in 7.0.2 (are others using 7.0.2). Has something changed in 7.0.2 that would cause this (the change list was quite small - however its noted the welcome screen is broken in this build too , so maybe that is related)?
>
> My image is actually pretty small - just load Exercism , which relies on OSProcess, now Mocketry (with StateSpecs and Ghost) and in this occurrence I have also loaded Mirage (the lack of a decent keyboard window switcher was getting me down and mirage seems to nail that MRU style behaviour to switch between a test window and code window).
>
> It could be one of these things is the culprit (potentially mirage - as that is the newest edition, so I will create a new image and leave it out) - but wondering if others are seeing this? Or possibly I’ve found the right combination that reliably triggers this annoying issue.
>
> Tim
>
> <PastedGraphic-10.png>
>

> <C7359974-BA36-4D1D-A452-52EE8A91B9FF.png>
>

> <PastedGraphic-8.png>

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks for a confirmation - I’m not sure if Mirage uses any native code, I’ll look - and will load up an image without it (possibly it is triggering something - as I know it has a background process that updates thumbnails to use for window switching).

My other package is OSProcess (that I need to run an external program in a cross platform way. I think it does use native code - however I’ve been using it sine since Pharo 6, and it’s only in Pharo7 I’ve noticed this font glitching so readily).

Other people have mentioned this, but it seems that this smallish combination of projects really triggers it quickly and reliably - so maybe there is a clue somewhere. It would be good to eliminate this problem as it makes Pharo look bad! Not ideal for exercism that is trying to attract new users...

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 08:25, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am on the latest macOS, my 64-bit 7.0.2 image with lots of code (Bootstrap/Seaside/...) is running fine. I did not fiddle with the fonts, just switched to Dark look.
>
> I avoid loading any packages that use native code, unless it is very well proven and/or part of the standard image (IceBerg for example).
>
> I have none of the issues you describe.
>
>> On 16 Mar 2019, at 00:04, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Moving this to a new thread - to avoid historic confusion as I’m seeing a much clearer pattern now.
>>
>> In 7.0.1 (osx - high Sierra - launcher), I was seeing the odd font glitch (where characters suddenly start glyphing in code and menus - see photos) and it seemed to be fixable by saving your image the first time (e.g. after 30+ mins you would see this in a new install). Once the image was saved, this seemed to stick and never be a problem.
>>
>> In 7.0.2 this is now happening to me very 10-60 mins. The save fix still works - the moment you save the glyphs will all just disappear until it happens again.
>>
>> Is anyone else getting this so easily in 7.0.2 (are others using 7.0.2). Has something changed in 7.0.2 that would cause this (the change list was quite small - however its noted the welcome screen is broken in this build too , so maybe that is related)?
>>
>> My image is actually pretty small - just load Exercism , which relies on OSProcess, now Mocketry (with StateSpecs and Ghost) and in this occurrence I have also loaded Mirage (the lack of a decent keyboard window switcher was getting me down and mirage seems to nail that MRU style behaviour to switch between a test window and code window).
>>
>> It could be one of these things is the culprit (potentially mirage - as that is the newest edition, so I will create a new image and leave it out) - but wondering if others are seeing this? Or possibly I’ve found the right combination that reliably triggers this annoying issue.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> <PastedGraphic-10.png>
>>

>> <C7359974-BA36-4D1D-A452-52EE8A91B9FF.png>
>>

>> <PastedGraphic-8.png>

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

HilaireFernandes
This problem also randomly shows up in Dr.Geo/Linux.

I think I saw it recently in DrGeo build with P7.0.1 or P7.0.2.

Tim, did you use an alternate true type font for your Pharo GUI?

Until know I though the issue was related to the FreeType plugin and the
use of true type font in the UI.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Hilaire - I'm  not changing any font settings at all - this is a clean zero conf image, load my project, open a system browser and start typing some code and it starts happening quite quickly.

The only thing that might exasperate this is me loading in mirage after my project (I need to test that theory - as it might speed up the issue).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 Mar 2019, at 10:03, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This problem also randomly shows up in Dr.Geo/Linux.
>
> I think I saw it recently in DrGeo build with P7.0.1 or P7.0.2.
>
> Tim, did you use an alternate true type font for your Pharo GUI?
>
> Until know I though the issue was related to the FreeType plugin and the
> use of true type font in the UI.
>
> Hilaire
>
>> Le 16/03/2019 à 09:25, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>> I am on the latest macOS, my 64-bit 7.0.2 image with lots of code (Bootstrap/Seaside/...) is running fine. I did not fiddle with the fonts, just switched to Dark look.
>>
>> I avoid loading any packages that use native code, unless it is very well proven and/or part of the standard image (IceBerg for example).
>>
>> I have none of the issues you describe.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tim Mackinnon wrote
> it seems that this smallish combination of projects really triggers it
> quickly and reliably

Can you share the load script?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Pierce Ng-3
On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:04:35PM +0000, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> In 7.0.1 (osx - high Sierra - launcher), I was seeing the odd font
> glitch (where characters suddenly start glyphing in code and menus -
> see photos) and it seemed to be fixable by saving your image the first
> time (e.g. after 30+ mins you would see this in a new install). Once
> the image was saved, this seemed to stick and never be a problem.
>
> In 7.0.2 this is now happening to me very 10-60 mins. The save fix
> still works - the moment you save the glyphs will all just disappear
> until it happens again.

Worked on my Mojave Mac with fresh 7.0.2 images today. Saw the font
glitch after a short while. I switched to native fonts and the glitch
went away. I don't use Launcher.

Pierce

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Tim Mackinnon
Ah - I didn’t know about using “native fonts” - is that in settings?  I’ll check it out.

That said - if the image default is not to have that setting - we really need to understand and fix this as it’s mega confusing for new users when you don’t see what you typed or code suddenly changes in front of you.

So I will also eat the dog food and see if I can help diagnose this .

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

>> On 17 Mar 2019, at 10:18, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:04:35PM +0000, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>> In 7.0.1 (osx - high Sierra - launcher), I was seeing the odd font
>> glitch (where characters suddenly start glyphing in code and menus -
>> see photos) and it seemed to be fixable by saving your image the first
>> time (e.g. after 30+ mins you would see this in a new install). Once
>> the image was saved, this seemed to stick and never be a problem.
>>
>> In 7.0.2 this is now happening to me very 10-60 mins. The save fix
>> still works - the moment you save the glyphs will all just disappear
>> until it happens again.
>
> Worked on my Mojave Mac with fresh 7.0.2 images today. Saw the font
> glitch after a short while. I switched to native fonts and the glitch
> went away. I don't use Launcher.
>
> Pierce

Re: 7.0.2 and the font glitch - seems far worse than 7.0.1

Tim Mackinnon
Hey Pierce - what font did you use - are you talking about the Bitmap fonts, or did you pick something else?

This tip, also reveals a usability annoyance on that font setting panel - the Force All button not only copies the font to all the sub settings - but also the size (making it slightly less useful).

Tim

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 02:44:25PM +0000, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hey Pierce - what font did you use - are you talking about the Bitmap
> fonts, or did you pick something else?

I use the platform fonts to show Chinese and Japanese content correctly.
On Mac, PingFang SC. On Ubuntu I have been using Noto Sans.

Pierce