[7.4.1] Native image save dialogs

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
One thing I really don't like about the use of native dialogs for image
saving is the fact that they rarely get opened in the right place, which is
the directory where the current image resides. Does anyone else consider
this a regression?

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [7.4.1] Native image save dialogs

Chris Winemiller
Boris Popov wrote:
> One thing I really don't like about the use of native dialogs for image
> saving is the fact that they rarely get opened in the right place, which is
> the directory where the current image resides. Does anyone else consider
> this a regression?

Another bad thing about native file dialogs on Windows is that the
image's default (i.e. current) directory changes as you select different
directories in the dialog.  Does wonders for a running application that
makes assumptions about the default directory. :-p

Chris

Re: [7.4.1] Native image save dialogs

Reinout Heeck

On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Winemiller wrote:

> Another bad thing about native file dialogs on Windows is that the
> image's default (i.e. current) directory changes as you select
> different directories in the dialog.  Does wonders for a running
> application that makes assumptions about the default directory. :-p

I second that, an extra problem is that it is so unintuitive that
even when people know this they still keep trying it (I'm talking
about developers and Q&A dept here, not end users).
One scenario that we see very often is that someone starts a server
configuration (which takes a minute or so to start up) and while that
is busy they want to load a parcel containing test scripts. When they
start to navigate to the parcel the servers misbehave due to missing
file resources.

It is interesting to experience how hard it is to unlearn this in an
environment where tools usually 'just work' concurrently.
Unfortunately Microsoft is to blame for this, I don't see much Cincom
can do about it other than emulating file dialogs in a platform
faithful way.

-

RE: [7.4.1] Native image save dialogs

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Well, there's a whole concept of 'default' vs 'current' directory, but last
I looked both would drift around and neither would consistently point to the
location of the image file at runtime. I'm always on the verge of writing an
angry tirade about this but never have enough time to do enough digging of
my own to support the argument. Maybe one day... But yea, lets just say
linking various dlls and resources when lookup directory is a moving target
gets really cumbersome.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Winemiller wrote:

> Another bad thing about native file dialogs on Windows is that the
> image's default (i.e. current) directory changes as you select
> different directories in the dialog.  Does wonders for a running
> application that makes assumptions about the default directory. :-p

I second that, an extra problem is that it is so unintuitive that
even when people know this they still keep trying it (I'm talking
about developers and Q&A dept here, not end users).
One scenario that we see very often is that someone starts a server
configuration (which takes a minute or so to start up) and while that
is busy they want to load a parcel containing test scripts. When they
start to navigate to the parcel the servers misbehave due to missing
file resources.

It is interesting to experience how hard it is to unlearn this in an
environment where tools usually 'just work' concurrently.
Unfortunately Microsoft is to blame for this, I don't see much Cincom
can do about it other than emulating file dialogs in a platform
faithful way.

-

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: [7.4.1] Native image save dialogs

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Robert,

- Start up visual.im
- Open Package Browser
- File-out any package of your choice (say, OldBrowsers) to Desktop
- Go File > Save Image As...
- Notice that dialog is now pointing over to the Desktop

VisualWorks install is configured as follows,

C:\VisualWorks\7.4
C:\VisualWorks\7.4.1
C:\VisualWorks\VisualWorks.exe
C:\VisualWorks\VisualWorks.ini

where VisualWorks.exe is associated with .im files and .ini includes the
following line,

74 1  C:\VisualWorks\7.4.1\bin\win\vwnt.exe
74 00 C:\VisualWorks\7.4\bin\win\vwnt.exe

OS Name:    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Hope this helps,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> One thing I really don't like about the use of native dialogs for image
> saving is the fact that they rarely get opened in the right place, which
is
> the directory where the current image resides. Does anyone else consider
> this a regression?

I haven't seen this behavior in our builds since at least the 7.4.1
may06.2 build.  Can you provide more detail on how to reproduce this with
the plain old visual.im (please include how you start-up VisualWorks and
which Windows OS you are using)?

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment