[7.4] Lens broken

Mülheims, Klaus
[7.4] Lens broken

Hi,

We are using the Object Lens, which is broken in version 7.4. I think someone thought that the methods peekForInstVarWrite and peekForInstVarRead were obsolete und removed them, but they are still used by the Lens.

I loaded the methods from Package Kernel Version 7.3.1 and everythink works fine. My question to you: Does anybody know why these methods were removed or if my reloading of the old methods is a not so good idea.

Greeting

Klaus Mülheims

Collogia AG
Ubierring 11

50678 Köln
Germany
+49 221 336080
http://www.collogia.de

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sind, informieren Sie bitte den Absender. Das unbefugte Kopieren oder Weiterleiten ist nicht gestattet. Wegen der Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails übernehmen wir keine Haftung für den Inhalt.

Re: [7.4] Lens broken

Alan Knight-2
Thanks. I've created AR 50418 for this. On a guess, these methods were removed because of changes to bytecodes in 7.4, for example, to remove limits on jump distances, and the methods were not kept up to date on those changes. As such, I'm not sure if the old versions will actually work or not, but if they're broken it's possible they'd only be broken for e.g. very long methods. If they seem to work for your cases, then that's probably a reasonable workaround.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

AW: [7.4] Lens broken

Mülheims, Klaus
Hi Alan,

thanks for creating AR. I will build a test-image for pre-production tests to proof, if there are any problems with my workaround.

Greetings

Klaus

Collogia AG
Ubierring 11