[7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

[7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Carl Gundel
With my packaged app I'm using the latest version of Pollock from the dev
repository and I get the following stack dump when I try to use menus in my
application window.  The code that constructs the menus looks like this:

Panda.Menu
  menuItems: (Array with: ((Panda.MenuItem label: '&Run')
      submenu: (Panda.Menu new addMenuItem: ((Panda.MenuItem label: '&Run')
          keystroke: (Panda.Keystroke shift: #F5);
          actionID: #run))))

The application works fine in the RTP test mode without discovering any
dynamic references.  I  tried this with and without adding my own things to
remove.  Same either way.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Initial Context Stack Arguments:
[1] UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
 Receiver: (id=1) nil
 Arg1: (id=11432) a Message with selector: #open and arguments: #()
[4] BlockClosure(Object)>>ifNotNil:
 Receiver: (id=15672) BlockClosure [] in WindowManager
class>>initializeNoWindowBlock
 Arg1: (id=387) BlockClosure [] in WindowManager>>rtpUnscheduleWindow:
[5] WindowManager>>rtpUnscheduleWindow:
 Receiver: (id=10512) a WindowManager
 Arg1: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[6] WindowManager>>unscheduleWindow:
 Receiver: (id=10512) a WindowManager
 Arg1: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[7] Panda.ActiveTransient(Window)>>unscheduleWindow
 Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[8] Panda.ActiveTransient(Panda.TransientWindow)>>close
 Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[9] Panda.ActiveTransient>>close
 Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[10] Panda.ActiveTransient(Panda.TransientWindow)>>closeMenu
 Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
[12] Panda.ActiveTransient(Object)>>ifNotNil:
 Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
 Arg1: (id=12616) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPane>>closeMenu
[13] Panda.MenuPane>>closeMenu
 Receiver: (id=10698) a Panda.MenuPane
[15] Panda.MenuPane(Object)>>ifNotNil:
 Receiver: (id=10698) a Panda.MenuPane
 Arg1: (id=4636) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPaneItem>>closeMenu
[16] Panda.MenuPaneItem>>closeMenu
 Receiver: (id=7385) a Panda.MenuPaneItem "&Run"
[18] Panda.MenuPaneItem(Object)>>ifNotNil:
 Receiver: (id=7385) a Panda.MenuPaneItem "&Run"
 Arg1: (id=11761) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPaneItemAgent>>closeMenu
[19] Panda.Win95MenuPaneItemAgent(Panda.MenuPaneItemAgent)>>closeMenu

Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Samuel S. Shuster <sames@interaccess.com>
Carl,

> >rtpUnscheduleWindow:

I don't know about this at all. I can only assume that this method
doesn't know how to deal with Pollock windows.

                                 And So It Goes
                                      Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Carl Gundel
> Carl,
>
>> >rtpUnscheduleWindow:
>
> I don't know about this at all. I can only assume that this method
> doesn't know how to deal with Pollock windows.

Alright, but I need a fix for this pronto.

I'm curious as to why there is an rtp-related method in there after the
application is packaged.

-Carl

Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Carl Gundel
So, perhaps I should avoid using the runtime packager.  I could write my own
script for stripping things out that doesn't leave any unpredictable gotchas
in there.  Has anyone else done this?

-Carl

>> I don't know about this at all. I can only assume that this method
>> doesn't know how to deal with Pollock windows.
>
> Alright, but I need a fix for this pronto.
>
> I'm curious as to why there is an rtp-related method in there after the
> application is packaged.
>
> -Carl

[7.4][pollock]Base.im and Pollock

Carl Gundel
Is it possible to load Pollock into the base.im without loading Store?

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: [7.4][pollock]Base.im and Pollock

Joseph Bacanskas-4
Hi Carl:

There is a Pollock parcel in the preview/pollock directory of the VW
tree.  You could load that without StORE.

   If you want the latest and greatest, it is only in the StORE
repository.  You could get the code from the repository using StORE
and create a parcel from that.  You could then use it without StORE,
assuming that StORE isn't a prereq.

Cheers!!

On Jun 24, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Carl Gundel wrote:

> Is it possible to load Pollock into the base.im without loading Store?
>
> -Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
> http://www.libertybasic.com

Joseph Bacanskas [|]
--- I use Smalltalk.  My amp goes to eleven.

Re: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Carl:

Don't strip. Just say no :)

figure out a base image for yourself that has the necessary support you
need for your app but not your app. You can strip that in the sense of
getting rid of IDE stuff but I just start with the base.im provided by
Cincom. Compress it , reshack it if on Windows etc. Then use this image as
your SRE (Smalltalk Runtime Environment) and just load your app's parcels
at runtime.

Out of curiosity , when you are successful in stripping your app how big
is your executable compressed?

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Carl Gundel
Charles,

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

> Don't strip. Just say no :)

Well, I took a short detour and ended up back using RTP.  I did manage to
figure out how to fix the bug I was seeing, along with a couple of other
things (of course).  I will post my workaround when I get a chance.

> figure out a base image for yourself that has the necessary support you
> need for your app but not your app. You can strip that in the sense of
> getting rid of IDE stuff but I just start with the base.im provided by
> Cincom. Compress it , reshack it if on Windows etc. Then use this image as
> your SRE (Smalltalk Runtime Environment) and just load your app's parcels
> at runtime.

I would like to do that when I get a chance.  On the other hand, I wish the
runtime packager was simply more effective at stripping things out.

> Out of curiosity , when you are successful in stripping your app how big
> is your executable compressed?

Well, so far I've managed to get things down to 11.5MB, but I know there is
all kinds of stuff in there that can still come out.  Some of it will be
easy and will just need a little trial and error experimentation, but I know
there's lots of tangled coupling in there that shouldn't be, and that's
going to make it hard.  I would like to get this down to around 5MB (or
less).

I wish the RTP didn't report it's progress with a GUI.  That obviously makes
stripping a complicated matter.  Also, the removal of methods, classes and
artifacts should be done using the most primitive methods so that unwanted
development tool related stuff can come out without crashing the RTP.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Carl,
The 11.5 MB size is it compressed or not?  Im my application, after
striping, I am getting down to about 15 MB size ant then after using
imageCompress.exe I have an image of about 6.5 MB in size.  The reason
my image is so big  that I use a lot of things -- networking, security,
graphics, etc., etc. not to mention application code itself.

My 2c.

--Mark

Carl Gundel wrote:

<.....>

> Well, so far I've managed to get things down to 11.5MB, but I know there
> is all kinds of stuff in there that can still come out.  Some of it will
> be easy and will just need a little trial and error experimentation, but
> I know there's lots of tangled coupling in there that shouldn't be, and
> that's going to make it hard.  I would like to get this down to around
> 5MB (or less).

<.....>

> -Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
> http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Carl Gundel
> Carl,
> The 11.5 MB size is it compressed or not?  Im my application, after
> striping, I am getting down to about 15 MB size ant then after using
> imageCompress.exe I have an image of about 6.5 MB in size.  The reason my
> image is so big  that I use a lot of things -- networking, security,
> graphics, etc., etc. not to mention application code itself.

This is uncompressed.  For my application it doesn't make so much sense to
consider the compressed size.  My customers will care about how large their
own Liberty BASIC applications will be and so my own VW-based BASIC runtime
platform must be as small as possible.  BASIC programmers expect things to
be small (they complain if simple programs compile to more than 100K), and
so I start at a position of weakness at least in that respect.

In addition since my software is marketed as shareware I will lose sales if
the download is too large.  It is currently only 3.2MB and this includes two
VisualSmalltalk images, some support libraries, a voluminous help file, and
lots of example code.  I'll be lucky if I can get it down to twice that size
using VW and even if I manage that my download count will suffer.

On the upside, Liberty BASIC on VW is faster, more flexible, and
multiplatform.  :-)

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: [7.4][pollock]Base.im and Pollock

Samuel S. Shuster <sames@interaccess.com>
Carl,

>Is it possible to load Pollock into the base.im without loading Store?

I don't know enough about what is or is not in base.im to say for sure. However,
if there is the basic graphics system (GraphicsContext, Image, Pixmap, Fonts,
etc.) then it should work. That's a guess though.

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

RE: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Terry Raymond
Carl

I produced a stripper for VW 7.3.1 that produces a scripting
image. The resuling image is about 2.2Mb. You can download
the stripper from http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com/downloads/stripper731.zip.

Examining my code may give you some ideas for what else
can be stripped out.

Terry

Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Your image is 11mb compressed ?

I at one time had the same need with RTP and created a silent RTP,  lots
of disconnecting, its notification was very coupled. In general I like for
tools to have pluggable notification so that one can plug a visual
notification or a logged to file for example at whim.

The cost/benefit of RTP is not great. I really just wish everybody stops
using it :) there were some decent effort level enhancements to it
recently which could have been spent doing something else i.e. like
finishing an SRE based packaging scheme.

Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: Don't use RTP? Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Charles A. Monteiro-2
there will always be a mismatch there. VisualWorks applications rely, like
Java, on a runtime context. The apps are, if you think about it that way
i.e. the runtime context and the app as being separate, relatively small.
For example , our app which is a fairly decent size financial app, tons of
UIs etc , is a little under 1 mb. My runtime environment is about 5.7mb. I
don't have to deploy the runtime context but once and deploying the "libs"
is just a breeze. The Smalltalk runtime environment is also fairly small
if compared to typical installations of the JRE.

Smalltalks like SmalltalkMT and Dolphin provide a Smalltalk IDE that
targets a platform so the resulting apps are small and don't depend on
anything but the target platform itself. Unfortunately, in the case of
these two they are not cross-platform.

Anyhow, this doesn't help you any :), we can do a much , much better job
at runtime packaging. Hopefully it will become priority. The problem must
be that most I guess don't share your pain. I'm okay for example with my
SRE scheme although I totally sympathize :)

-
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://www.monteirosfusion.com
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: [7.4][rtp][Pollock]Problem with menus and packaged app

Alan Knight-2
The methods that start with rtp... remaining in a runtime image tend to represent hooks that RTP installs. In this instance, rtpUnscheduleWindow: will be whatever WindowManager>>unscheduleWindow: was before packaging, and that method will have been replaced by RuntimeManager's unscheduleWindow: method. See #hookToWindowManager.

That particular method, as the stack also seems to show, deals with the case where the last window is closed. So, for some reason that might well be unawareness of Pollock, the system seems to believe that the Pollock menu is the last open window. That suggests that WindowManagers think that Pollock menus are windows, but Pollock windows aren't.

Running the dynamic trace mode would be unlikely to discover this, since it keeps a window open.

I would suggest running your app in non-packaged mode, but with all regular VW windows closed, and see if you see similar behaviour. Possibly with some breakpoint or tracing in the places that seem to be affected to see if they're being called, but behaving differently when not packaged.

In general, if you need a response pronto, I'd suggest contacting support, which has people paid to look into the question until they find an answer, rather than relying entirely on mailing lists where people may or may not answer, and may or may not do so in a timely way.

At 02:24 PM 23/06/2006, Carl Gundel wrote:

>With my packaged app I'm using the latest version of Pollock from the dev repository and I get the following stack dump when I try to use menus in my application window.  The code that constructs the menus looks like this:
>
>Panda.Menu
> menuItems: (Array with: ((Panda.MenuItem label: '&Run')
>     submenu: (Panda.Menu new addMenuItem: ((Panda.MenuItem label: '&Run')
>         keystroke: (Panda.Keystroke shift: #F5);
>         actionID: #run))))
>
>The application works fine in the RTP test mode without discovering any dynamic references.  I  tried this with and without adding my own things to remove.  Same either way.
>
>-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
>http://www.libertybasic.com
>
>Initial Context Stack Arguments:
>[1] UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
>Receiver: (id=1) nil
>Arg1: (id=11432) a Message with selector: #open and arguments: #()
>[4] BlockClosure(Object)>>ifNotNil:
>Receiver: (id=15672) BlockClosure [] in WindowManager class>>initializeNoWindowBlock
>Arg1: (id=387) BlockClosure [] in WindowManager>>rtpUnscheduleWindow:
>[5] WindowManager>>rtpUnscheduleWindow:
>Receiver: (id=10512) a WindowManager
>Arg1: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[6] WindowManager>>unscheduleWindow:
>Receiver: (id=10512) a WindowManager
>Arg1: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[7] Panda.ActiveTransient(Window)>>unscheduleWindow
>Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[8] Panda.ActiveTransient(Panda.TransientWindow)>>close
>Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[9] Panda.ActiveTransient>>close
>Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[10] Panda.ActiveTransient(Panda.TransientWindow)>>closeMenu
>Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>[12] Panda.ActiveTransient(Object)>>ifNotNil:
>Receiver: (id=5726) a Panda.ActiveTransient 168
>Arg1: (id=12616) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPane>>closeMenu
>[13] Panda.MenuPane>>closeMenu
>Receiver: (id=10698) a Panda.MenuPane
>[15] Panda.MenuPane(Object)>>ifNotNil:
>Receiver: (id=10698) a Panda.MenuPane
>Arg1: (id=4636) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPaneItem>>closeMenu
>[16] Panda.MenuPaneItem>>closeMenu
>Receiver: (id=7385) a Panda.MenuPaneItem "&Run"
>[18] Panda.MenuPaneItem(Object)>>ifNotNil:
>Receiver: (id=7385) a Panda.MenuPaneItem "&Run"
>Arg1: (id=11761) BlockClosure [] in Panda.MenuPaneItemAgent>>closeMenu
>[19] Panda.Win95MenuPaneItemAgent(Panda.MenuPaneItemAgent)>>closeMenu

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

At 11:54 AM 26/06/2006, Carl Gundel wrote:
>I wish the RTP didn't report it's progress with a GUI.  That obviously makes stripping a complicated matter.  Also, the removal of methods, classes and artifacts should be done using the most primitive methods so that unwanted development tool related stuff can come out without crashing the RTP.

Me too, and that's on the agenda.

If you could be more specific about the primitive methods that would be helpful.