7.7.1 compare tool: inconsistent Left-right-visualization

7.7.1 compare tool: inconsistent Left-right-visualization

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Hello,

the visualization of the "left" and "right" packages in the compare tool
is inconsistent. An example:

http://www.abload.de/img/compare-tool1yl2.png

here we see three changes:

1. a changed method (#construct:)
2. a new method (#newMethod)
3. a deleted method (#readStream)

I've highlighted my changes with a red border.

As you can see in the screenshot, the changes are sometimes displayed on
the right side (changed methods) and sometimes on the left side
(new/deleted methods).

This is highly confusing when reviewing larger change sets.

Re: 7.7.1 compare tool: inconsistent Left-right-visualization

Steven Kelly
Good picture! I take it you want the source in the right-hand package to
always be on the right? So in this case, newMethod's source should be
moved to the right column. I'd agree.

Steve

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Alternatively, if one wanted to maximize space for source of
adds/removes, you could flip the comparison to always show "current" on
the left...

-Boris

--
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
+1 (604) 689-0322

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.
+353 (0)61 714-360
Shannon Airport House, SFZ
County Clare, Ireland
http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Am 23.09.2010 12:24, schrieb Steven Kelly:
> Good picture! I take it you want the source in the right-hand package to
> always be on the right? So in this case, newMethod's source should be
> moved to the right column. I'd agree.

I would prefer to have the image version on the left and the store
version on the right.

Usually I use "Store -> Compare with parent" in the RB to compare the
image version against the last published version. This will open a
compare tool with the layout shown in the screenshot.

Unfortunately, when the image version is on the "left" side, some menu
items like "Revert" are missing again, because the menu items expect the
store version on the left side. This also happens when flipping the
sides, like Boris suggested.

Am 23.09.2010 12:27, schrieb Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs:
> Alternatively, if one wanted to maximize space for source of
> adds/removes, you could flip the comparison to always show "current" on
> the left...

flipping sides will not only affect the layout, but also flip the
comparison, so added methods in the image will be shown as remove
methods and vice versa.

Re: 7.7.1 compare tool: inconsistent Left-right-visualization

Steven Kelly
> I would prefer to have the image version on the left and the store
> version on the right.

I don't really care which is left and which is right originally, they
can be switched. My point was that it's better to have a layout like
below, where source code that exists in version A is shown in one
column, and source in version B in another:

version A  |  version B
-----------+------------
changeInA  |  changeInB
onlyInA    |
           |  onlyInB

I think the tool should keep things separated into columns like this
regardless of whether it is comparing "old store version" vs. "new store
version", the reverse of that, or "Compare (image) with parent" (which
is what I do most).

Cheers,
Steve

Re: 7.7.1 compare tool: inconsistent Left-right-visualization

Travis Griggs-4
On Sep 23, 2010, at 3:03 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the visualization of the "left" and "right" packages in the compare
> tool
> is inconsistent. An example:
>
> http://www.abload.de/img/compare-tool1yl2.png
>
> here we see three changes:
>
> 1. a changed method (#construct:)
> 2. a new method (#newMethod)
> 3. a deleted method (#readStream)
>
> I've highlighted my changes with a red border.
>
> As you can see in the screenshot, the changes are sometimes
> displayed on
> the right side (changed methods) and sometimes on the left side
> (new/deleted methods).
>
> This is highly confusing when reviewing larger change sets.

61187: "Look at stronger columnated layout for comparison tool"

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist