7.7 and Pango Libraries

Maarten Mostert-2
Hi,

I don't manage to run Pango or even older versions of CairoGraphics with 7.7Dec01NC as released.

The libraries are there (both in bin\win and the image directory). But Pango cannot find them.

Even if I put hard path's in the LibPango class methods it will refuse.

Is there any way out ?

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: 7.7 and Pango Libraries

Mike Hales
I'd like to hear Travis weigh in on this one too. I'll describe my experience also. On my application I use Cairo and Pango on Windows. I was providing all my own dlls, cherry picked from the GTK runtime for windows and distributed with my application. This worked great. With 7.7, I was excited that Cincom was going to bundle a single cairo.dll with the product, so we could simplify the dll situation. When I ported my application to 7.7, using the Cairo parcels included with 7.7, I could get the graphics to work but had the same problem with Pango not finding libraries. I tried to install my old Pango dlls, and it would never work, then I tried just installing the GTK runtime, and it would find the Pango libraries, but would not display text properly. My solution was to load my older Cairo and Pango from Store, and use my existing strategy to provide dlls. Obviously I'd like to be able to use the newest versions and single dll from Cincom.

I'm getting closer to working on the Mac version of my app, and I am worried that I'm going to run into similar problems there. In the past I've installed Cairo and Pango from Macports, but would love to just use the shared libraries from Cincom. I haven't tried yet there.

Mike

Mike Hales
Engineering Manager
KnowledgeScape
www.kscape.com

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Maarten MOSTERT <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I don't manage to run Pango or even older versions of CairoGraphics with 7.7Dec01NC as released.

The libraries are there (both in bin\win and the image directory). But Pango cannot find them.

Even if I put hard path's in the LibPango class methods it will refuse.

Is there any way out ?

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: 7.7 and Pango Libraries

Maarten Mostert-2
Currently the only way to run Pango with 7.7 I found now is to use the bin/win executables of a prerelease version of VW 7.7. I have a somerwhere early november release which does this correctly.
The other prerequisite is to use the older dll's the latest dll available (08/02/2010) fail with a similar cannot find library message. I have a libpango-1.0-0.dll which dates from 18/08/2008 which works.

Anyway when Travis gets back fom the Olympics he wll certainly have a better idea for the fix.

@+Maarten,

Re: 7.7 and Pango Libraries

Travis Griggs-3

On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Maarten MOSTERT wrote:

Currently the only way to run Pango with 7.7 I found now is to use the bin/win executables of a prerelease version of VW 7.7. I have a somerwhere early november release which does this correctly.
The other prerequisite is to use the older dll's the latest dll available (08/02/2010) fail with a similar cannot find library message. I have a libpango-1.0-0.dll which dates from 18/08/2008 which works.

Anyway when Travis gets back fom the Olympics he wll certainly have a better idea for the fix.

I've not had a chance to look at this yet. I can't say that I'm hugely surprised. Getting library dependencies right can be a real pain. The work I did for shipping a "packaged" Cairo library for Windows and OSX for 7.7, was specifically targeted at Cairo. We very much wanted a turn key drop in dll/framework so that an application could just run with it, and not get into "DLL hell". But I did not do any Pango work as part of that. At some point, I'm going to have to break it all open again, and do the same work, but for Pango as well. I say right up front, it's not fun work, getting encapsulated builds of these DLLs that are relocatable, don't have other dependencies, and are mostly manned by people who are very keen on gnu autotools which don't work as well outside of the cutting edge linux world.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist