7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Does anyone know can a 7.7 vm be used with a 7.6 image? The release notes imply that this is supported with the exception of scroll wheel events (for which a 7.6 image patch exists). But I could not find a definitive statement.

Joerg

-----
Joerg Beekmann
DeepCove Labs
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T5
voice +1.604.689.0322
fax   +1.604.689.0311

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email contains private and confidential
information. If it is not intended for you, delete it and any attachments.

Re: 7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Andres Valloud-6
VMs are backwards compatible with images of the same major release.  In other words, 7.x VMs will run 7.y images, where y <= x.

<A title=blocked::mailto:joerg@deepcovelabs.com href="blocked::mailto:joerg@deepcovelabs.com">joerg@...

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email contains private and confidential
information. If it is not intended for you, delete it and any attachments.

Re: 7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Steven Kelly

That’s not really been true in the 7.x series in the same way as it has been true earlier. There are quite a lot of things you need to do to a 7.0 image to get it to work properly with a 7.7 VM – and many of them are undocumented. In that respect 7.7 is better than previous releases, in that it says what needs to be done to 7.6 images and even provides the patch.

Will the 7.8 / 7.7.1 garbage collect changes in the VM work correctly with a 7.7 image?

Steve

VMs are backwards compatible with images of the same major release.  In other words, 7.x VMs will run 7.y images, where y <= x.

Re: 7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Steven Kelly

Just noticed that there is a new VM out, 7.7a, as a “high priority resolution”:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/ResolutionsApplication/ (and click VisualWorks)

It’s only recommended for 7.5-7.7.

Steve

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Does anyone know can a 7.7 vm be used with a 7.6 image? The release notes imply that this is supported with the exception of scroll wheel events (for which a 7.6 image patch exists). But I could not find a definitive statement.

Re: 7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

I know, that application urgently needs an RSS feed... I'd imported all applicable patches into our own little resolutions bundle yesterday, but have no way of knowing when new ones become available unless I set a reminder to go and check every week. This is complicated by the fact that there's no guarantee new ones will appear at the bottom of the list, so I'll need to scan it thoroughly it seems.

-Boris

--

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

+1 (604) 689-0322

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.

+353 (0)61 714-360

Shannon Airport House, SFZ

County Clare, Ireland

http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Does anyone know can a 7.7 vm be used with a 7.6 image? The release notes imply that this is supported with the exception of scroll wheel events (for which a 7.6 image patch exists). But I could not find a definitive statement.

Re: 7.7 vm with 7.6 image

Alan Knight-2
I don't know of any reason it shouldn't work for older releases. It may only specify 7.5 or greater, because that's what's currently in supported status, but that's two guesses (one for what's currently supported, and another for it being the reason).

In general, the rule is as Andres stated, things should work with older VMs, and where that's not feasible, we attempt to document it. If you're aware of other issues, please let us know, and we'll document them. Or maybe even fix them, though I'm pretty sure 7.0 is out of supported status, so we might not.

Also, in general, when you have questions related to what's supported, or other support-related information, and you actually want a reliable answer, you would be better off asking support than a general mailing list.

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Does anyone know can a 7.7 vm be used with a 7.6 image? The release notes imply that this is supported with the exception of scroll wheel events (for which a 7.6 image patch exists). But I could not find a definitive statement.

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk