7.9 - Cannot tenure object. Out of memory.

7.9 - Cannot tenure object. Out of memory.

Gary Peterson-2
Hello Group,

Migrating from 7.6 to 7.9.
Hitting this fairly often -- "Cannot tenure object. Out of memory." when loading our bigger root bundle(s).

Just wondering if there is anything (general) in 7.9 in regard to memory configuration/gotchas?
Windows XP.

This may well be just code issues we need to resolve for migration, but just checking if anyone might have experience or insight on it...

Thank you,

Gary P

Re: 7.9 - Cannot tenure object. Out of memory.

Andres Valloud-6
That will happen if you're truly running out of memory, so it could be
that you should increase the memory policy's upper memory bound.  Look
at doc/TechNotes/vwMemoryMgmt.pdf for more details.

On 3/7/13 5:25 AM, Gary Peterson wrote:

> Hello Group,
> Migrating from 7.6 to 7.9.
> Hitting this fairly often -- "Cannot tenure object. Out of memory." when
> Just wondering if there is anything (general) in 7.9 in regard to memory
> configuration/gotchas?
> Windows XP.
> This may well be just code issues we need to resolve for migration, but
> just checking if anyone might have experience or insight on it...
> Thank you,
> Gary P

Re: 7.9 - Cannot tenure object. Out of memory.

Steven Kelly
I doubt you could really hit the upper memory bound just loading code.
This is probably some infinite recursion caused by something in code in
your bundle. We hit things like this when using Store shadow loading /
atomic loading, which IIRC came somewhere in the 7.6-7.9 timeframe. Try
turning off shadow/atomic loading: in 7.7.1 that's System | Settings |
Store | Loading Policies, or Store.Pundle useShadowLoader: false. You
can also force a particular package in the bundle to be installed
immediately when loaded partway through the atomic load by giving it a
package property with key #installBeforeContinuing.

HTH,
Steve

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I would also try turning off analysis loader, that caused us a lot of grief in the past with similar symptoms.

-Boris

I doubt you could really hit the upper memory bound just loading code.
This is probably some infinite recursion caused by something in code in your bundle. We hit things like this when using Store shadow loading / atomic loading, which IIRC came somewhere in the 7.6-7.9 timeframe. Try turning off shadow/atomic loading: in 7.7.1 that's System | Settings | Store | Loading Policies, or Store.Pundle useShadowLoader: false. You can also force a particular package in the bundle to be installed immediately when loaded partway through the atomic load by giving it a package property with key #installBeforeContinuing.

HTH,
Steve

Here's another option... run the assert VM with the -xq switch and, when
the VM exits, look at the file stack.txt and see if that has clues about
what's going on.

On 3/7/13 8:22 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> I doubt you could really hit the upper memory bound just loading code.
> This is probably some infinite recursion caused by something in code in
> your bundle. We hit things like this when using Store shadow loading /
> atomic loading, which IIRC came somewhere in the 7.6-7.9 timeframe. Try
> turning off shadow/atomic loading: in 7.7.1 that's System | Settings |
> Store | Loading Policies, or Store.Pundle useShadowLoader: false. You
> can also force a particular package in the bundle to be installed
> immediately when loaded partway through the atomic load by giving it a
> package property with key #installBeforeContinuing.
>
> HTH,
> Steve

jarober
In tests I ran on my last contract, using the analysis loader <doubled> the load time.  If you have a large bundle, that could make things look like they have stalled out.

On the memory issue, I agree with Steve

On Mar 7, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:

> I would also try turning off analysis loader, that caused us a lot of grief in the past with similar symptoms.
>
> -Boris

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: 7.9 - Cannot tenure object. Out of memory.

Gary Peterson-2
That's much for all the sugs everyone....
These will help.

Down to just a few remaining migration issues, we think.

> In tests I ran on my last contract, using the analysis loader <doubled>
> the load time.  If you have a large bundle, that could make things look
> like they have stalled out.
>
> On the memory issue, I agree with Steve
>
> On Mar 7, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:
>
>> I would also try turning off analysis loader, that caused us a lot of
>> grief in the past with similar symptoms.
>>
>> -Boris

Niall Ross
Dear Steve,

>I doubt you could really hit the upper memory bound just loading code.

Just FYI, the combination of atomic loading, Store's use of Glorp and
suchlike changes to the loading process since 7.6, can change the memory
usage behaviour during load of certain distributions of code.  So, as
regards your remark ...

>This is probably some infinite recursion caused by something in code in

... I would not immediately confirm your 'probably'.  If doubling or
tripling the memory during load of a very large bundle, relative to what
was sufficient for it in 7.6 or before, still shows OOM, then yes, it is
indeed probable you have recursion.  However if it loads in that case
then it might be that switching off the AnalysisLoader, or
non-atomically loading some packages that hold e.g. huge PDF documents
in the form of enormous methods, or some other tweak, or just accepting
a higher memory limit for your images during load, is the answer.

                HTH
                   Niall Ross