8.5.2/openSUSE 12.2: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

8.5.2/openSUSE 12.2: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

jtuchel
Hi,

Every time I start VA Smalltalk, I get these lines in the console:

Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default

Since the openSuSE installation is in German, I added this to my abt bash script:

export lang=en_US.iso885915

as Instantiations suggests in the Installation Guide. locale -a says the locale is available on my system.

I tried unchecking "use utf-8 encoding" in yast, and I also tried exporting de_DE.iso885915
Even if I export no LANG at all before starting VAST, I get the same message in the console.

The VAST installation guide suggests copying the locale directories folders from /usr/lib/locales to /usr/share/X11/locale. But this does not help either: Same output.

I would like to change to en_US.iso885915 or de_DE.iso885915 because the one that is used causes several problems, from primitiveFailed when pressing ctrl-c to strange artefacts in code browsers or strange reactions to ctrl-s (inserts some strange character instead of saving a method).

Who knows what I can do? openSuSE 12.2 does not have locale-gen, but as locale -a suggests, I don't need to generate the locale anyways...

Joachim

Re: 8.5.2/openSUSE 12.2: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

jtuchel
For reasons not related to this problem, I installed Kubuntu 12.10, and I could find a way to install locales en_US.iso-8859-15 and de_DE.iso-8859-15 and I can start VAST there even with de_DE.iso-8859-15.

There I even can copy &paste text between browsers (but I am not betting on it for the long run ;-) ) and type umlauts.

So it seems for now I like Kubuntu more than openSuSE (sniff)

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2013 22:26:36 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:
[...]

Okay, after a reboot even here on Kubuntu pressing Ctrl-E or Ctrl-C bring up strange Characters instead of doing anything. The annoying thing here is that if you typed a long expression, select it and press Ctrl-E, the expression is not executed and what's even worse, the selected text is replaced with a strange character...

It is the same behaviour for de_DE and en_US settings...

frustrated,

Joachim