[8.6.1] Inspecting the result of evaluating Float fmax hangs VA

[8.6.1] Inspecting the result of evaluating Float fmax hangs VA

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I encountered a problem inspecting Float fmax in my development environment, so when I compared how the base 8.6.1 worked, I saw it has the same problem.

The UI freezes up. I cannot move the window, I cannot expand the child nodes of the Float. The title bar on the window changes to include "(Not Responding").

Can anyone else recreate this problem?

Re: [8.6.1] Inspecting the result of evaluating Float fmax hangs VA

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:46:33 AM UTC-7, Richard Sargent wrote:
I encountered a problem inspecting Float fmax in my development environment, so when I compared how the base 8.6.1 worked, I saw it has the same problem.

Float fmin shows the same problem. Other unusual Floats, such as Infinity and NaN display properly.

Note the the freeze happens before the inspector can expand the child nodes. Successful cases show the 8 bytes expanded below the "self" line.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:52:41 AM UTC-7, Richard Sargent wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:46:33 AM UTC-7, Richard Sargent wrote:
I encountered a problem inspecting Float fmax in my development environment, so when I compared how the base 8.6.1 worked, I saw it has the same problem.

Float fmin shows the same problem. Other unusual Floats, such as Infinity and NaN display properly.

Note the the freeze happens before the inspector can expand the child nodes. Successful cases show the 8 bytes expanded below the "self" line.

I can inspect up to 7F FF FF FF FF FF FF FA, but 7F FF FF FF FF FF FF FB and higher fail.

The UI freezes up. I cannot move the window, I cannot expand the child nodes of the Float. The title bar on the window changes to include "(Not Responding").

Can anyone else recreate this problem?

Re: [8.6.1] Inspecting the result of evaluating Float fmax hangs VA

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

Yes, I can recreate.  Although it appears to work in our most recent build, I can detect the problem as of 3 builds ago....it looks like a scintilla lexer issue somewhere.
Not sure how I inadvertently fixed it, but I will find out.  I'm assuming if you turn scintilla off that it them works?

-- Seth

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 3:12:46 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

Actually, I guess I do know.  Workspaces and Inspectors use a different smalltalk lexer now...the one that's actually distributed with scintilla.
But I'm going to drop back anyway and see what the issue was with the old one.

-- Seth

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 12:21:50 PM UTC-7, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Richard,

Yes, I can recreate.  Although it appears to work in our most recent build, I can detect the problem as of 3 builds ago....it looks like a scintilla lexer issue somewhere.
Not sure how I inadvertently fixed it, but I will find out.  I'm assuming if you turn scintilla off that it them works?

Correct. With Scintilla off, there is no problem.

[...]

I see there is an arithmetic exception being thrown in the vm during float multiply because that number is being multiplied by another, but I will need to turn on tracing to see exactly where I am in smalltalk execution.
I'll report back when I have the details...may be a day or so when I can get to it.

-- Seth

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 1:25:37 PM UTC-7, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Richard,

I see there is an arithmetic exception being thrown in the vm during float multiply because that number is being multiplied by another, but I will need to turn on tracing to see exactly where I am in smalltalk execution.
I'll report back when I have the details...may be a day or so when I can get to it.

I appreciate that. There is no rush; I was largely playing with boundary conditions while debugging a test case that works in VW but not in VA (it involves sub-normals, of course).