[9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

[9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

jtuchel
I am not sure if my memory servers me wrong, but I seem to remember that VAST coe panes (Transcript, Workspaces, Browsers etc.) automatically found out that if I selected only a portion of a selector and selected "Implementors" from the context menu, VAST would automatically find out that the message name consists of multiple keywords and search for the correct implementors.

Ex: myDbConn read: id as: SomeClass

If I double clicked on/selected "read:" and chose "Implementors" from the context menu, the system would understand I am not looking for implementors of #read: but for implementors of #read:as: and present me with the correct results.

In my current 9.1 dev image this is not the case (any more?).

Am I remembering something wrong? Is this some setting that is missing in my current image?

Joachim

Re: [9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

Noschvie
Hi Joachim
have tested "Implementors" from the context menu in VA 9.1 x86 and x64 and it works with both environments. Maybe use a new image and reload all needed applications.
Norbert

Re: [9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

Seth Berman
Hi Joachim,

The new algorithm uses the lexer instead of a string search.
Selecting 'read:' and impl gets you exactly that...implementors of 'read:'.
Selecting 'as:' would first look for impl of 'as:' and if that didn't exist, backup and do the multikeyword match.
The same algorithm also always for pools (scoped or not), capitalized or not to be found.
OrderedCollection is both a method and a class, it also now knows the difference and will either offer "Browse Class" or "Browse Implementors" based on the context.

Just putting the cursor anywhere around that selector or selecting r or re or rea or read or 'read: id a' or 'read: id as:' and so on should get you the multikeyword.
Basically, if classifies what is under the cursor.  If it's a selector and there is an implementor of it, then show it.  If there is no implementor of it, then try and expand out to a multikeyword context.

-- Seth

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 7:08:39 AM UTC-4, Norbert Schlemmer wrote:
Hi Joachim
have tested "Implementors" from the context menu in VA 9.1 x86 and x64 and it works with both environments. Maybe use a new image and reload all needed applications.
Norbert

Re: [9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

jtuchel
Seth,

thanks for clarifying. I just tried it and in a Browser all works as you explained. The only thing that's new (i think) is that selecting just the read: portion of read:as: really looks for read:. The way you explain it, this is even somewhat logical or at least explainable. Although I would argue that I still mean the full method name even if I only select the first keyword...

In a workspace however, if I just place the cursor somewhere in the word read: , the implementors menu item in the pop up menu stays inactive. I am not sure if that worked before, but I think it once did...

So I can find what I want knowing what I know now, it would, however, be good if the behavior was consistent between Browsers and Workspaces.

Joachim

Am Montag, 24. September 2018 13:17:30 UTC+2 schrieb Seth Berman:
Hi Joachim,

The new algorithm uses the lexer instead of a string search.
Selecting 'read:' and impl gets you exactly that...implementors of 'read:'.
Selecting 'as:' would first look for impl of 'as:' and if that didn't exist, backup and do the multikeyword match.
The same algorithm also allows for pools, scoped and/or capitalized, to be found.
OrderedCollection is both a method and a class, it also now knows the difference and will either offer "Browse Class" or "Browse Implementors" based on the context.

Just putting the cursor anywhere around that selector or selecting r or re or rea or read or 'read: id a' or 'read: id as:' and so on should get you the multikeyword.
Basically, it classifies what is under the cursor.  If it's a selector and there is an implementor of it, then show it.  If there is no implementor of it, then try and expand out to a multikeyword context.

-- Seth

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 7:08:39 AM UTC-4, Norbert Schlemmer wrote:
Hi Joachim
have tested "Implementors" from the context menu in VA 9.1 x86 and x64 and it works with both environments. Maybe use a new image and reload all needed applications.
Norbert

Re: [9.1] searching for implementors of messages with multiple keywords

Seth Berman
Thank you Joachim,

"Although I would argue that I still mean the full method name even if I only select the first keyword..."
- Yes...mind reading augmented reality not available yet...maybe version 10:)

"it would, however, be good if the behavior was consistent between Browsers and Workspaces."
- Yes it would be.  The workspaces don't have the richness that method browsers do...so token analysis isn't the same

-- Seth