A Canticle for Smalltalk

12

Re: A Canticle for Smalltalk

horrido

Personally I don't like the aesthetics, the pace of text and its
"nostalgia", and the overall message of the song lyrics ; and although
I like the band and song, it's a proven plagiarism of Satriani's "If I
could fly". [1]

Putting aside the song's controversy, I think it's a lovely aesthetic. It's
romantic. It mirrors Smalltalk's former glory. And the video's content
suggests a possible bright future. "Join the revolution."

Indeed.

Re: A Canticle for Smalltalk

John Pfersich
I don’t know if a 10 year lifespan is exceptional. I wrote an application in 1986 that’s still running. Development took 6 weeks. Including testing.

/————————————————————/
For encrypted mail use [hidden email]
Get a free account at ProtonMail.com

On Aug 6, 2019, at 04:37, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, all software applications eventually meet their EOL. IRIS-2 had a good,
long run.

Note that the same thing applies to JWARS. It was EOL'd in 2010, but it was
operational for over a decade. That's pretty damn good!

None of this takes away from Smalltalk's efficacy and power.

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Yes. And I think it's even more sad than the containers example doesn't
work anymore... AFAIK they replaced the system.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 05:06 Tim Mackinnon &lt;

tim@

&gt; wrote:

It’s very entertaining but it seems a bit sad - it’s a shame it refers to
JP-Morgan as “used Smalltalk “ as actually they are “still using
Smalltalk”
(so it’s not in the past)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 Aug 2019, at 16:19, Richard Kenneth Eng &lt;

horrido.hobbies@

&gt;
wrote:

A big fan of my work created this rogue video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1opveHaukFK8WbQ8wg8b14wuKJsjoOZfO/view

I appreciate the homage, but I can't take credit for it.

It's really quite beautiful, though. I'm using it as part of my
evangelism.

Re: A Canticle for Smalltalk

horrido
True, some applications are very long-lived. But in my experience, a great
many applications are EOL'd within 20 years. It may happen for many
different reasons, some technical, some political, some because the
technology has grown out of date (which causes HR and support difficulties).

My point was simply that any software project that lasts more than a decade
has to be considered a success.

R: A Canticle for Smalltalk

Lorenzo
Hi,

I started using ST in 1990 and I have developed an application with VSE for
company management (MIDA - Management Integrato Dati Aziendali) at the
beginning of 2000 and at present there are still more than 300 users and I
integrated it with Pharo for WEB applications.
Now, I am integrating it with a fuzzy logic (FuzzyWorld) tool that I have
already used for different fields like football training, electroforesys
analysis, air pollution and many other application.
IMHO I believe that ST is the best tool on the market.

Lorenzo