A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

lionelakue
Hi

I am making a library to accelerate the building of management software.

I am looking for existing libraries:

for UI. (I know Seaside and Morphic)
for persistence (I know Garage, Voyage)
other tools(I know Magritte for object descriptions)

Thanks for sharing other libraries you know about. Any other informations are welcomed.

Lionel

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

abergel
There is roassal if you need to visualize data. I have seen people visualizing relations between software artifacts.

Alexandre

> On Jul 11, 2016, at 2:32 AM, Lionel Akue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am making a library to accelerate the building of management software.
>
> I am looking for existing libraries:
>
> for UI. (I know Seaside and Morphic)
> for persistence (I know Garage, Voyage)
> other tools(I know Magritte for object descriptions)
>
> Thanks for sharing other libraries you know about. Any other informations are welcomed.
>
> Lionel

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

jfabry
Hello Lionel,

to build user interfaces I recommend that you use Spec. Many user interfaces in the standard Pharo image are written using it. I am currently writing documentation for it, here is the introductory chapter:

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

FirstContact.pdf (180K) Download Attachment

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

stepharo
Hi lionel

to help people answering your question do you have some examples of
management software you have in mind?

if you need to connect to DB

     - there is Glorp (which is a relational mapper) and now there is a
new version and a nice documentation

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/Glorp
for the source

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/111/artifact/book-result/Glorp/
for the pdf

     - Esteban added support for Unqlite to Voyage (so you can deploy
even more easily some small app).

                https://www.unqlite.org

Stef

Le 11/7/16 à 02:32, Lionel Akue a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I am making a library to accelerate the building of management software.
>
> I am looking for existing libraries:
>
> for UI. (I know Seaside and Morphic)
> for persistence (I know Garage, Voyage)
> other tools(I know Magritte for object descriptions)
>
> Thanks for sharing other libraries you know about. Any other
> informations are welcomed.
>
> Lionel

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

kilon.alios
If you don't mind some extra work and don't mind combining Pharo with other programming languages your options are titanic

You can use any C/C++ library via UFFI
You can use any Python library via my Atlas bridge
You can use any Java library via JNIPort
You can use any JavaScript library via PharoJS

In the end it's completely up with to you and the way you like work. Just a matter of personal taste.

Lionel

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

lionelakue
Thanks everyone

These are some examples to precise my question:
-software for human resources or shop inventory.
-IT asset or fleet management systems. These are used to register equipments or cars inside companies and control their allocations.

abergel wrote
There is roassal if you need to visualize data. I have seen people visualizing relations between software artifacts.
Thanks Alexandre.
I have just read through a chapter about Raossal. Very useful. Making high level reports like monitoring screens(to track the managed elements movements) easy.

jfabry wrote
to build user interfaces I recommend that you use Spec. Many user interfaces in the standard Pharo image are written using it. I am currently writing documentation for it, here is the introductory chapter:
Thanks.
Sound very interesting, Johan. Can you give me a link where I can get the library?

stepharo wrote
to help people answering your question do you have some examples of
management software you have in mind?

if you need to connect to DB

     - there is Glorp (which is a relational mapper) and now there is a
new version and a nice documentation

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/Glorp
for the source

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/111/artifact/book-result/Glorp/
for the pdf

     - Esteban added support for Unqlite to Voyage (so you can deploy
even more easily some small app).

                https://www.unqlite.org
Thanks Stef

An ORM, Great! Now I remember, I have heard about Glorp but I thought it was just a project.

The Unqlite support is what I needed for one of my persistence strategy. Because I knew Voyage Memory Repository or Image-Based Persistence could be almost impossible in production.

kilon.alios wrote

Thanks. I haven't thought about bridging other technos with Pharo before.
Do you know where I can get some documentation about these libraries? It will be perfect for one project I have.

Thanks. I haven't thought about bridging other technos with Pharo before.
Do you know where I can get some documentation about these libraries? It will be perfect for one project I have.

Re: A Management Software Building Library in Pharo

jfabry

> On Jul 11, 2016, at 20:51, lionelakue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> jfabry wrote
>> to build user interfaces I recommend that you use Spec. Many user
>> interfaces in the standard Pharo image are written using it. I am
>> currently writing documentation for it, here is the introductory chapter:
>
> Thanks.
> Sound very interesting, Johan. Can you give me a link where I can get the
> library?

Hi Lionel,

Spec is standard in Pharo, there is nothing extra you need to download to use it. Enjoy!

https://kilon.gitbooks.io/ephestos/content/introduction/introduction.pier.html

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress/tree/master/UnifiedFFI

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~JNIPort/JNIPort

https://github.com/bouraqadi/PharoJS