A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

EstebanLM
Hi all,
I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea I
want to share and discuss:

I think we need a metacello based centered repository.

The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.

So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and apt-get
for ubuuntu):
-we can create a project on squeaksource called
“PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
-we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
-we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”

What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories”,
for example:

Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version of
ConfigurationOfSeaside30’

Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
“PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
private projects).

How Loader works?
1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
to define this later
2) load metacello package
3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
specific versions, etc.

I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road”)

So, what do you think?

btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this idea ;)

Cheers,
Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

Dale
Esteban,

I think that what you are proposing makes a lot of sense, although I am a bit biased ... a central repository would definitely make it very simple to find projects that are managed...

It seems that in addition to to the Monticello repository of configurations, a catalog website that provided a searchable index on the projects and the project meta data (project description ... release status ... project dependencies ...).

Having a central repository is a good first step...

I have a cross-platform bias. Many of the Pharo projects can be ported to GemStone (and Squeak) using a common Metacello configuration, so I think the central repository would end up serving cross-platform users.

FYI, yesterday I created a google group for Metacello discussions (http://groups.google.com/group/metacello/members). As a Metacello user, you will want to join.

Dale
----- "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi all,
| I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
| the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea
| want to share and discuss:
|
| I think we need a metacello based centered repository.
|
| The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.
|
| So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and
| apt-get
| for ubuuntu):
| -we can create a project on squeaksource called
| “PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
| configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
| ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
| -we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
| -we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”
|
| What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories”,
| for example:
|
| Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version of
| ConfigurationOfSeaside30’
|
| Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
| “PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
| private projects).
|
| How Loader works?
| 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll
| need
| to define this later
| 2) load metacello package
| 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
| loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
| specific versions, etc.
|
| I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
| something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could
| think
| on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the
| road”)
|
| So, what do you think?
|
| btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this
| idea ;)
|
| Cheers,
| Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

Hi lorenzo

YES! we need a catalog in place of Universe package. I think that using monticello as a way to store metacello config is the way to go.
We do not need to integrate metacello for now (even if the goal is to succeed to manage
Pharo with metacello). We could do Gofer loadMetacelloRepository or something like that.
Then this is important because the testServer could also use this information.

Stef

On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:32 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi all,
> I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
> the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea I
> want to share and discuss:
>
> I think we need a metacello based centered repository.
>
> The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.
>
> So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and apt-get
> for ubuuntu):
> -we can create a project on squeaksource called
> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
> configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
> ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
> -we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
> -we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”
>
> What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories”,
> for example:
>
> Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version of
> ConfigurationOfSeaside30’
>
> Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
> private projects).
>
> How Loader works?
> 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
> to define this later
> 2) load metacello package
> 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
> loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
> specific versions, etc.
>
> I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
> something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
> on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road”)
>
> So, what do you think?
>
> btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this idea ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

EstebanLM
Ok, that is all the blessing needed  :)
I will start work on a first version of tools needed (there are not
mutch at all) and I will upload a meta-package as soon as I have it
working, to test it.
On first stage, we will use a centralized repository on SqueakSource,
and on second stage we can think on a more fashionable way to show the
catalog :)

About the SqueakSource repository, the name I first proposed
(PharoMetacelloRepository) is not admited for SqueakSource (too large),
so I need variants... what do you think?
I have this in mind:

-ConfigurationOfPharo
-MetaPharo
-MetacelloRepository

I like the first one most, because it uses the same convention as the
metacello suggested convention.

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2009-12-05 07:27:25 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi lorenzo
>
> YES! we need a catalog in place of Universe package. I think that using mon
> ticello as a way to store metacello config is the way to go.
> We do not need to integrate metacello for now (even if the goal is to succe
> ed to manage
> Pharo with metacello). We could do Gofer loadMetacelloRepository or somethi
> ng like that.
> Then this is important because the testServer could also use this informati
> on.
>

> Stef
>

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:32 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
>
>> the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea I
>
>> want to share and discuss:
>>

>> I think we need a metacello based centered repository.
>>

>> The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.
>>

>> So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and apt-g
> et
>
>> for ubuuntu):
>> -we can create a project on squeaksource called
>
>> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
>
>> configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
>
>> ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
>> -we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
>> -we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”
>>

>> What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories
> ”,
>
>> for example:
>>

>> Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version
> of
>
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside30’
>>

>> Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
>
>> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
>
>> private projects).
>>

>> How Loader works?
>> 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
>
>> to define this later
>> 2) load metacello package
>> 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
>
>> loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
>
>> specific versions, etc.
>>

>> I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
>
>> something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
>
>> on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road
> ”)
>>

>> So, what do you think?
>>

>> btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this ide
> a ;)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Ok, that is all the blessing needed  :)
> I will start work on a first version of tools needed (there are not
> mutch at all) and I will upload a meta-package as soon as I have it
> working, to test it.
> On first stage, we will use a centralized repository on SqueakSource,
> and on second stage we can think on a more fashionable way to show the
> catalog :)
>
> About the SqueakSource repository, the name I first proposed
> (PharoMetacelloRepository) is not admited for SqueakSource (too large),
> so I need variants... what do you think?
> I have this in mind:
>
> -ConfigurationOfPharo

but this one will be used for pharo

> -MetaPharo
> -MetacelloRepository
I like the last one :)
even if the second one is tempting :)

> [...]
>>>

>>> How Loader works?
>>> 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
>>
>>> to define this later
>>> 2) load metacello package
>>> 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
>>
>>> loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
>>
>>> specific versions, etc.
>>>

>>> I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
>>
>>> something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
>>
>>> on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road
>> ”)
>>>

>>> So, what do you think?
>>>

>>> btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this ide
>> a ;)
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, that is all the blessing needed  :)
I will start work on a first version of tools needed (there are not
mutch at all) and I will upload a meta-package as soon as I have it
working, to test it.
On first stage, we will use a centralized repository on SqueakSource,
and on second stage we can think on a more fashionable way to show the
catalog :)

About the SqueakSource repository, the name I first proposed
(PharoMetacelloRepository) is not admited for SqueakSource (too large),
so I need variants... what do you think?
I have this in mind:

-ConfigurationOfPharo
-MetaPharo
-MetacelloRepository

I like the first one most, because it uses the same convention as the
metacello suggested convention.

I don't know if I like to put "Pharo" in the name. The idea of Metacello is also to be able to easily port form one dialect to other. So, suppose I want to create the ConfigurationOfFFI, maybe I will have something for #squeak and something for #pharo or even for gemstone.

So, I rather a name, not hardcoded  to pharo, so that the configurations there should have the conditions.

I like MetacelloRepository.

Best,

Mariano

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2009-12-05 07:27:25 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi lorenzo
>
> YES! we need a catalog in place of Universe package. I think that using mon
> ticello as a way to store metacello config is the way to go.
> We do not need to integrate metacello for now (even if the goal is to succe
> ed to manage
> Pharo with metacello). We could do Gofer loadMetacelloRepository or somethi
> ng like that.
> Then this is important because the testServer could also use this informati
> on.
>

> Stef
>

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:32 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
>
>> the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea I
>
>> want to share and discuss:
>>

>> I think we need a metacello based centered repository.
>>

>> The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.
>>

>> So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and apt-g
> et
>
>> for ubuuntu):
>> -we can create a project on squeaksource called
>
>> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
>
>> configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
>
>> ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
>> -we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
>> -we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”
>>

>> What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories
> ”,
>
>> for example:
>>

>> Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version
> of
>
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside30’
>>

>> Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
>
>> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
>
>> private projects).
>>

>> How Loader works?
>> 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
>
>> to define this later
>> 2) load metacello package
>> 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
>
>> loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
>
>> specific versions, etc.
>>

>> I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
>
>> something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
>
>> on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road
> ”)
>>

>> So, what do you think?
>>

>> btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this ide
> a ;)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Esteban

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

EstebanLM
Done. It is named "MetacelloRepository" :)

On 2009-12-07 10:28:05 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> said:

> [...]
> tories<br>
> &gt; =94,<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; for example:<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Loader default latest: =91Seaside30=92. =93This will load latest v=
> ersion<br>
> &gt; of<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; ConfigurationOfSeaside30=92<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Loader class&gt;&gt;#default answers a loader pointing to<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; =93PharoMetacelloRepository=94, but you could define others (for y=
> our<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; private projects).<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; How Loader works?<br>
> &gt;&gt; 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we=92=
> ll need<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; to define this later<br>
> &gt;&gt; 2) load metacello package<br>
> &gt;&gt; 3) do something like =93MetacelloConfigurationClass project<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; loadLatestVersion=94 (for #latest), and the corresponding sends fo=
> r<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; specific versions, etc.<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; I think this will solve any package management problem, by using<b=
> r>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could =
> think<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; on better repository places/formats later (but we will be =93on th=
> e road<br>
> &gt; =94)<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; So, what do you think?<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; btw: If the community agree, I=92m offering my self to implement t=
> his ide<br>
> &gt; a ;)<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Cheers,<br>
> &gt;&gt; Esteban<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
> &gt;&gt; Pharo-project mailing list<br>
> &gt;&gt; <a
> href=3D"mailto:[hidden email]">Pharo-proje=
[hidden email]</a><br>
&gt;&gt;

> haro-project" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailma=
> n/listinfo/pharo-project</a><br>

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 07-12-2009 a las 09:57 -0300, Esteban Lorenzano escribió:

> Ok, that is all the blessing needed  :)
> I will start work on a first version of tools needed (there are not
> mutch at all) and I will upload a meta-package as soon as I have it
> working, to test it.
> On first stage, we will use a centralized repository on SqueakSource,
> and on second stage we can think on a more fashionable way to show the
> catalog :)
>
> About the SqueakSource repository, the name I first proposed
> (PharoMetacelloRepository) is not admited for SqueakSource (too large),
> so I need variants... what do you think?
> I have this in mind:
>
> -ConfigurationOfPharo
> -MetaPharo
> -MetacelloRepository

MetaHub

;)

And if Santa is generous, should be (with proper time) as good as
github.

> I like the first one most, because it uses the same convention as the
> metacello suggested convention.
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>
> On 2009-12-05 07:27:25 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
> > Hi lorenzo
> >
> > YES! we need a catalog in place of Universe package. I think that using mon
> > ticello as a way to store metacello config is the way to go.
> > We do not need to integrate metacello for now (even if the goal is to succe
> > ed to manage
> > Pharo with metacello). We could do Gofer loadMetacelloRepository or somethi
> > ng like that.
> > Then this is important because the testServer could also use this informati
> > on.
> >

> > Stef
> >

> > On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:32 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I’m begining to transfer all my projects to metacello (I think this is
> >
> >> the best package manager present today for pharo), and I have an idea I
> >
> >> want to share and discuss:
> >>

> >> I think we need a metacello based centered repository.
> >>

> >> The universe doesn’t fit with metacello and squeakmap even less.
> >>

> >> So this is my idea (it is based on “ibiblio” for maven/java and apt-g
> > et
> >
> >> for ubuuntu):
> >> -we can create a project on squeaksource called
> >
> >> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, where people can put its public metacello
> >
> >> configuration packages (for example ConfigurationOfSeaside30,
> >
> >> ConfigurationOfDeimos, etc.).
> >> -we should integrate metacello to pharo core (like Gofer now)
> >> -we’ll need to create a new class “Loader”
> >>

> >> What “Loader” does? it loads versions from “metacello repositories
> > ”,
> >
> >> for example:
> >>

> >> Loader default latest: ‘Seaside30’. “This will load latest version
> > of
> >
> >> ConfigurationOfSeaside30’
> >>

> >> Loader class>>#default answers a loader pointing to
> >
> >> “PharoMetacelloRepository”, but you could define others (for your
> >
> >> private projects).
> >>

> >> How Loader works?
> >> 1) validate loading a valid metacello configuration package (we’ll need
> >
> >> to define this later
> >> 2) load metacello package
> >> 3) do something like “MetacelloConfigurationClass project
> >
> >> loadLatestVersion” (for #latest), and the corresponding sends for
> >
> >> specific versions, etc.
> >>

> >> I think this will solve any package management problem, by using
> >
> >> something already present (SqueakSource), and of course, we could think
> >
> >> on better repository places/formats later (but we will be “on the road
> > ”)
> >>

> >> So, what do you think?
> >>

> >> btw: If the community agree, I’m offering my self to implement this ide
> > a ;)
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Esteban

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: A centralized repository (Going a step forward Gofer and Metacello)

I want a catalog for Pharo because I want to know what I can load in Pharo.
Especially because I will be a time where we will have too many differences with squeak.

Stef