A challenge for us

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.
This is really important in the long term to get sure that we identify bugs as soon as they appear.

It would be really good if we could get team up and fix that together. Does anybody want to help?

I started to fix some bugs there and write more tests in the process of fixing tests.

Re: A challenge for us

csrabak
If I understand correctly, i.e., committing to one task per month I'm more than willing to help.

What would be the protocol to cooperate on this?

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 16/03/2010 04:21, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
Hi

I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.
This is really important in the long term to get sure that we identify bugs as soon as they appear.

It would be really good if we could get team up and fix that together. Does anybody want to help?

I started to fix some bugs there and write more tests in the process of fixing tests.

Re: A challenge for us

Carla F. Griggio
Same here.
Sounds nice to start cooperating. How can I help?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I understand correctly, i.e., committing to one task per month I'm more than willing to help.

What would be the protocol to cooperate on this?

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 16/03/2010 04:21, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
Hi

I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.
This is really important in the long term to get sure that we identify bugs as soon as they appear.

It would be really good if we could get team up and fix that together. Does anybody want to help?

I started to fix some bugs there and write more tests in the process of fixing tests.

Re: A challenge for us

Stéphane Ducasse
It would be good to start checking for example the date and time tests.
For example the readFrom: methods are ugly and it would be nice to access the tests and complement
it if necessary. Adding nice categories and not as yet unclassified or Testing would be good.

Stef

On Mar 17, 2010, at 2:23 AM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> Same here.
> Sounds nice to start cooperating. How can I help?
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understand correctly, i.e., committing to one task per month I'm more than willing to help.
>
> What would be the protocol to cooperate on this?
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak
>

> Em 16/03/2010 04:21, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
> Hi
>
> I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
> for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.
> This is really important in the long term to get sure that we identify bugs as soon as they appear.
>
> It would be really good if we could get team up and fix that together. Does anybody want to help?
>
> I started to fix some bugs there and write more tests in the process of fixing tests.
>
> Stef

Re: A challenge for us

garduino
I would like to help also, even when I'm with very little free time.

To start I would like to understand how is the Pharo development
process, being that (until now) I've mostly used RC2/3.

The main doubts I've are:

1. The UNSTABLE version (the 1.1 right?) comes with no dev tools
installed (OB, Shout, etc). Exist some metacello configuration to
install all these tools? (I thinked that could be
ConfigurationOfPharo, but seems that fail to install).

2. On the gforge page (http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299),
what is Pharo (pharo-dev) ? Is 1.0 RC2 with some tools?

3. On the gforge page (http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299),
what is Pharo1.1-64bit-Core? I mean, with which vm is supposed to be
used?

4. Some days ago I asked (with no response) about the Package Browser
on RC2. I've found several mails talking about some problems between
OB and O2, but I've not clear how to install it (I would like to have
on 1.1 also).

Well, this is all for now, I will try also to read on the web page
about repos and other things related with the Pharo development
process.

Thanks.
Germán.

2010/3/17 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> It would be good to start checking for example the date and time tests.
> For example the readFrom: methods are ugly and it would be nice to access the tests and complement
> it if necessary. Adding nice categories and not as yet unclassified or Testing would be good.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 17, 2010, at 2:23 AM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:
>
>> Same here.
>> Sounds nice to start cooperating. How can I help?
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If I understand correctly, i.e., committing to one task per month I'm more than willing to help.
>>
>> What would be the protocol to cooperate on this?
>>
>> --
>> Cesar Rabak
>>

>> Em 16/03/2010 04:21, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
>> for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.
>> This is really important in the long term to get sure that we identify bugs as soon as they appear.
>>
>> It would be really good if we could get team up and fix that together. Does anybody want to help?
>>
>> I started to fix some bugs there and write more tests in the process of fixing tests.
>>
>> Stef

Re: A challenge for us

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 18.03.2010 01:09, Germán Arduino wrote:
I would like to help also, even when I'm with very little free time.

To start I would like to understand how is the Pharo development
process, being that (until now) I've mostly used RC2/3.

The main doubts I've are:

1. The UNSTABLE version (the 1.1 right?) comes with no dev tools
installed (OB, Shout, etc). Exist some metacello configuration to
install all these tools? (I thinked that could be
ConfigurationOfPharo, but seems that fail to install).
Not all dev tools can be expected to be updated and work on a work-in-progress core image, thus we (well, at least I) make due with the good ol' system browser.
Important packages will be updated and configurations working in 1.1 made available after API changes have been prohibited.
That said, the O2Browser was updated a short time ago to work in 1.1 IIRC, your best bet for a more advanced browser would probably be to try and load a configuration of that.
2. On the gforge page (http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299),
what is Pharo (pharo-dev) ? Is 1.0 RC2 with some tools?
Pharo-dev is older versions of the core image, with tools equivalent to what is found in the RC-releases preloaded. (In fact, the latest release in that category is Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip )
3. On the gforge page (http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299),
what is Pharo1.1-64bit-Core? I mean, with which vm is supposed to be
used?
It's an image that has been run through the SystemTracer which converts it to 64bit format.
You will be able to run it on the 64-64 version of the 5.0 Mac OSX VM's, not sure about the other platforms.
Please note many of the vm-plugins are not 64bit clean, thus are likely to fail or crash your VM if used.
4. Some days ago I asked (with no response) about the Package Browser
on RC2. I've found several mails talking about some problems between
OB and O2, but I've not clear how to install it (I would like to have
on 1.1 also).
AFAIK, Alexandre and David spent some time a while ago to completely separate the model of O2 from that used by OB, thus resolving clashes caused by O2 overrides, now both should be able to be loaded at the same time in 1.0.
(load with ConfigurationOfO2 in MetacelloRepository)
Well, this is all for now, I will try also to read on the web page
about repos and other things related with the Pharo development
process.

Thanks.
Germán.
There's only two repo's you really need:
MetacelloRepository, for loading the tools you find useful (Really nice for checking issues with different tools in 1.1 as well)
Inbox - Where you commit slices for inclusion in the next version.

Cheers,
Henry

PS. The latest 1.0 release is PharoCore-1.0-10515rc3 (available from the gforge page), to get the equivalent of a Pharo (pharo-dev) rc image, load the ConfigurationOfPharo into that, and evaluate (ConfigurationOfPharo version: '1.0-rc.3-baseline') load.

PPS. There will be an error when doing the load, since the AST-Tests package in squeaksource/rb has been renamed AST-Tests-Core, and the same for Refactoring-Tests, and the old packages removed...
Lukas, would you mind uploading them again?
For now, you can debug, and in the method that breaks, change the packageSpec's file to 'AST-Tests-Core-lr.8' and Refactoring-Tests-Core-lr.34 respectively.
This will happen twice, since the spec first loads ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser once as part of the defined packages, then again as a prereq when loading ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser.

Re: A challenge for us

hernanmd

2010/3/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Hi

I would like to initiative a task (monthly) for us. I would like to get really good tests coverage
for some of the core classes. For example Date, Time, Duration, DateAndTime.

Is there a consensus about what are called the "core" classes of Pharo?

In the "Advanced Smalltalk" book, page 22, there is a useful distinction between "System classes" and "Base classes". Pletzke says basically:

-System classes are those necessary to run the system
-Base classes form the basis for an application but may not be required to run the system unless they are also System classes

Could anybody identify both sets? They are the same in Squeak? It would be cool to discuss this with people in Squeak lists, maybe a good point to start avoiding duplication of efforts.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: A challenge for us

Mariano Martinez Peck

PS. The latest 1.0 release is PharoCore-1.0-10515rc3 (available from the gforge page), to get the equivalent of a Pharo (pharo-dev) rc image, load the ConfigurationOfPharo into that, and evaluate (ConfigurationOfPharo version: '1.0-rc.3-baseline') load.

PPS. There will be an error when doing the load, since the AST-Tests package in squeaksource/rb has been renamed AST-Tests-Core, and the same for Refactoring-Tests, and the old packages removed...
Lukas, would you mind uploading them again?
For now, you can debug, and in the method that breaks, change the packageSpec's file to 'AST-Tests-Core-lr.8' and Refactoring-Tests-Core-lr.34 respectively.
This will happen twice, since the spec first loads ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser once as part of the defined packages, then again as a prereq when loading ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser.

It was fixed already some time ago. I have also updated all project to latests versions. I actually build a PharoDev image based on Pharo 1.0 RC3 and latests pharo dev tools and all seemed to work perfect.

I will try to release such image by the end of the week/weekend.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: A challenge for us

garduino
Hi Henrik:

Thanks you very much by the detailed explanation!

I will start playing with 1.1 and try these things probably on the
weekend (A rainy
weekend is expected here).

Cheers.
Germán.

On Mar 18, 2010, at 11:15 18AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

I guess the correct incantation was (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc3.10515') load. :)

We really should set up a backup repository with all the packages included in specs though.
Older versions have already stopped working twice now due to package deletions, first FFI, and then RB.

F.ex, doing (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10508') load in a 10508rc2 Core image will now fail.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: A challenge for us

Stéphane Ducasse

> We really should set up a backup repository with all the packages included in specs though.
yes!
yes yes!
we discussed that with dale a while ago.

> Older versions have already stopped working twice now due to package deletions, first FFI, and then RB.
>
> F.ex, doing (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10508') load in a 10508rc2 Core image will now fail.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: A challenge for us

garduino
2010/3/18 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:

> I guess the correct incantation was (ConfigurationOfPharo project version:
> '1.0-rc3.10515') load. :)
> We really should set up a backup repository with all the packages included
> in specs though.
> Older versions have already stopped working twice now due to package
> deletions, first FFI, and then RB.
> F.ex, doing (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10508') load in
> a 10508rc2 Core image will now fail.
> Cheers,
> Henry

I tried (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc3.10515') load
on 1.1UNSTABLE #11277 and
fail with "TheWorldMenu class DNU #registerOpenCommand: "

Re: A challenge for us

garduino
2010/3/18 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/3/18 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I guess the correct incantation was (ConfigurationOfPharo project version:
>> '1.0-rc3.10515') load. :)
>> We really should set up a backup repository with all the packages included
>> in specs though.
>> Older versions have already stopped working twice now due to package
>> deletions, first FFI, and then RB.
>> F.ex, doing (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10508') load in
>> a 10508rc2 Core image will now fail.
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>
> I tried (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc3.10515') load
> on 1.1UNSTABLE #11277 and
> fail with "TheWorldMenu class DNU #registerOpenCommand: "

After some more tries, passing somethings I arrive to a stopper error:

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #asSymbol

when installing AST-Core-lr.66.

Re: A challenge for us

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 18-03-2010 a las 11:14 -0300, Germán Arduino escribió:

> 2010/3/18 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I guess the correct incantation was (ConfigurationOfPharo project version:
> > '1.0-rc3.10515') load. :)
> > We really should set up a backup repository with all the packages included
> > in specs though.
> > Older versions have already stopped working twice now due to package
> > deletions, first FFI, and then RB.
> > F.ex, doing (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc2.10508') load in
> > a 10508rc2 Core image will now fail.
> > Cheers,
> > Henry
>
> I tried (ConfigurationOfPharo project version: '1.0-rc3.10515') load
> on 1.1UNSTABLE #11277 and
> fail with "TheWorldMenu class DNU #registerOpenCommand: "

Isn't this because of the new Menu code with registration capabilities
instead of the old menu code?

I think that as soon as Pharo 1.0 is released, Mariano will work on
making the corresponding 1.1 ConfigurationOfPharo and we all test it.

BTW, you could copy the current 10515 version and change it and adapt it
to Pharo 1.1 and that way we all can start try it.

Cheers

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx