A couple of memory management related questions

A couple of memory management related questions

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I've started working on a new GC for Cog and have a few questions.

1. does anyone have a copy of Joel Bartlett's J. F. Bartlett. A generational, compacting collector for C++. In E. Jul and N.-C. Juul, editors, OOPSLA/ECOOP ‘90 Workshop on Garbage Collection in Object-Oriented Systems, Oct. 1990. ?

2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is 1m classes enough (24 bits)?

3. do you have any personal recommendations, or example code, of systems that combine generation scavenging and/or compaction with object pinning?

TIA,
Eliot

Re: A couple of memory management related questions

Dennis smith-4
I have 12,000 classes (including everything), I expect that to grow, but probably not more than 30,000 total.

_______________________________________________ vwnc mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

--
Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: [squeak-dev] A couple of memory management related questions

Ralph Johnson
If people define classes by hand, I imagine 64k would be enough.  But
suppose they are using light-weight classes, i.e. giving each object
its own behavior.   Then it would be fairly easy to have more than 64K
of them, though 1M is still a reasonable limit.

What is the difference in cost between choosing 64K as the limit and
choosing 1M?  I know, one byte, but what else would you use that byte
for?

-Ralph

Re: [Vm-dev] A couple of memory management related questions

ungar
Can't resist the following unproductive comment:  Object pinning? Ugh!!

I realize you probably, after much thought, have decided you cannot avoid pinning, but its consequences scare the you-know-what out of me.

If you supported one class per object, then you could get rid of the identityHash field in the header, by making it an instance method. ;-)
Oh wait a minute, since classes are objects, you would need oops larger than 64-bits each. ;-)

- David

On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Hi All,

    I've started working on a new GC for Cog and have a few questions.

1. does anyone have a copy of Joel Bartlett's J. F. Bartlett. A generational, compacting collector for C++. In E. Jul and N.-C. Juul, editors, OOPSLA/ECOOP ‘90 Workshop on Garbage Collection in Object-Oriented Systems, Oct. 1990. ?

2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is 1m classes enough (24 bits)?

3. do you have any personal recommendations, or example code, of systems that combine generation scavenging and/or compaction with object pinning?

TIA,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] A couple of memory management related questions

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:44:57 -0500,
Ralph Johnson wrote:

> If people define classes by hand, I imagine 64k would be enough.  But
> suppose they are using light-weight classes, i.e. giving each object
> its own behavior.   Then it would be fairly easy to have more than 64K
> of them, though 1M is still a reasonable limit.
>
> What is the difference in cost between choosing 64K as the limit and
> choosing 1M?  I know, one byte, but what else would you use that byte
> for?

  If the next highest notch from 16 bit is 24 bit but not 20 bit, that
would be 16M but not 1M.

  The big images in "our" use cases is with several million objects
(not that big in other standard), so if each object theoretically had
a distinct class, it would only barely fits.  But in reality 16M
classes and an object occupies around 40 byte each on avarage, only 6
instances or such per class on average before hitting 4GB.  So, for
32-bit address space in mind, 16M classes would be a lot.  1M classes
would be 100 instances on average (where the distribution of instance
count is highly skewed so average would not make so much sense
however), it still would be okay.

  (As Ralph asked, what are the other things that are competing the
bits?)

-- Yoshiki

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

    I've started working on a new GC for Cog and have a few questions.

1. does anyone have a copy of Joel Bartlett's J. F. Bartlett. A generational, compacting collector for C++. In E. Jul and N.-C. Juul, editors, OOPSLA/ECOOP ‘90 Workshop on Garbage Collection in Object-Oriented Systems, Oct. 1990. ?

thanks to all 5 of you who've provided this.  Ta!

2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is 1m classes enough (24 bits)?

3. do you have any personal recommendations, or example code, of systems that combine generation scavenging and/or compaction with object pinning?

TIA,
Eliot

Re: A couple of memory management related questions

Reinout Heeck-2
Hi Eliot,
> 2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
> complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
> created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
> 1m classes enough (24 bits)?

 22708 and counting.
 So to me 64k seems a bit low as a hard limit.

-

Re: A couple of memory management related questions

Niall Ross
Dear Eliot,
    like Reinout, I've never got to within 50% of 64,000 classes but I
have known systems of 20,000+.  Hence a system of 64,000 + 1 classes
written by hand doesn't seem impossible, though the software wall (of
complexity) makes me think you could survive quite some time with that
limit if hand-written classes were your only concern.  As Ralph points
out, class generation schemes could blow you away.  Ghost classes (a la
JNIPort, etc.) might also:  most of a 20,000+ class image are
application classes and presumably the right (or do I mean wrong :-) )
ghost class system(s) could double or triple their number.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

>Hi Eliot,
>

>>2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
>>complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
>>created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
>>1m classes enough (24 bits)?
>>

> 22708 and counting.
> So to me 64k seems a bit low as a hard limit.

>-

Re: A couple of memory management related questions

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [vwnc] A couple of memory management related questions

Generating WS interfaces from WSDL for some larger companies might also rack up those numbers rather quickly.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

    like Reinout, I've never got to within 50% of 64,000 classes but I
have known systems of 20,000+.  Hence a system of 64,000 + 1 classes
written by hand doesn't seem impossible, though the software wall (of
complexity) makes me think you could survive quite some time with that
limit if hand-written classes were your only concern.  As Ralph points
out, class generation schemes could blow you away.  Ghost classes (a la
JNIPort, etc.) might also:  most of a 20,000+ class image are
application classes and presumably the right (or do I mean wrong :-) )
ghost class system(s) could double or triple their number.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

>Hi Eliot,

>>2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
>>complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
>>created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
>>1m classes enough (24 bits)?
>>

> 22708 and counting.
> So to me 64k seems a bit low as a hard limit.

>-

    like Reinout, I've never got to within 50% of 64,000 classes but I
have known systems of 20,000+.  Hence a system of 64,000 + 1 classes
written by hand doesn't seem impossible, though the software wall (of
complexity) makes me think you could survive quite some time with that
limit if hand-written classes were your only concern.  As Ralph points
out, class generation schemes could blow you away.  Ghost classes (a la
JNIPort, etc.) might also:  most of a 20,000+ class image are
application classes and presumably the right (or do I mean wrong :-) )
ghost class system(s) could double or triple their number.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

>Hi Eliot,

>>2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
>>complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
>>created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
>>1m classes enough (24 bits)?
>>

> 22708 and counting.
> So to me 64k seems a bit low as a hard limit.

Agreed.  On squeak-dev Andreas Raab said the following, which I'm going to follow:

"My $.02: Start with 16 bits and declare the free bits "reserved". When someone complains for the first time, review and decide how many more bits to devote. Rationale #1: Rather than taking away resources when you notice you need an extra header bit, start with the smaller number but keep some room for growth if it becomes necessary. Rationale #2: YAGNI (i.e., we really don't know if we'll need more header bits or if we need more room for classes).

Cheers,
 - Andreas"

>-

SQL Server Connection Parcel

Linh Dinh

Hi,

The brochure states "VisualWorks supports connectivity via ODBC, and via native connections to Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and DB/2".  I’ve installed the sqlncli.msi on the client machine, Windows XP w/ SP3.  However, I can't seem to locate the right EXDI parcel within VW7.7 to connect to SQL Server 2008.  What must I load to create a native sql connection to SQL Server?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Linh

Re: SQL Server Connection Parcel

Wallen, David

I think the brochure is a bit brief. We don’t have a ‘native’ SQL Server connection, with special DLLs specified. Load ODBCEXDI, and use a plain ODBCConnection, which targets SQL Server in particular. That said, there is the “SQL Server Native Client”, which you can connect to with VisualWorks, using ODBC. VW handles this in basically the same way as a regular ODBC client, with a few checks here and there for known differences (which I don’t recall offhand). You can connect using the native client by setting up your DSN using the Windows Ctrl Panel/ODBC admin screen, and specifying the native client interface to SQL Server.

So, to VW, it’s almost completely transparent whether you’re connecting using the old interface (via ODBC), or using the new native client interface (also via ODBC). I hope this helps.

- Dave

Re: SQL Server Connection Parcel

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

I would strongly recommend using connection strings instead of DSNs as they make development/deployment a lot less complicated,

DRIVER={SQL Native Client};DATABASE={my_database};SERVER={(local)};

Full reference is available here,

You can also have a look at a more complex solution in GlorpVWLauncherTool package in Public Repository which enables reading of settings from a local .ini file for even more flexibility, specifically GlorpTestingMiniTool #availableLoginsIn: #readLogins and #help.

HTH,

-Boris

--

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

+1 (604) 689-0322

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.

+353 (0)61 714-360

Shannon Airport House, SFZ

County Clare, Ireland

http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

[...]

Boris, this information is very useful. Thanks for the url.

- Dave

[...]

In fact connection string can reference DSN if you need that compatibility :)

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

[...]

Yep, I think I noticed that that would override whatever else is mentioned, but I’m not sure. Now I’m curious about other vendors, and how this technique works (for ODBC) with all the other guys? If it’s generally available, then the ODBC Management console is obsolete for me, except maybe when setting up a connection for the first time, trying to get the settings right…

- Dave

[...]

Paul Baumann

Agreed. Consider a distributed object "database" in which an objectspace may contain instances from multiple versions of a class. The language could easily evolve that way over the next 10 years. Multiple class versions is a standard GS/S feature, but a more distributed form of object database could greatly increase that number. 64K is far more than our anticipated needs though.

Metaclass allInstances size
 7241

That number includes GS classes mirrored in VW by GemKit.

Paul Baumann

    like Reinout, I've never got to within 50% of 64,000 classes but I have known systems of 20,000+.  Hence a system of 64,000 + 1 classes written by hand doesn't seem impossible, though the software wall (of
complexity) makes me think you could survive quite some time with that limit if hand-written classes were your only concern.  As Ralph points out, class generation schemes could blow you away.  Ghost classes (a la JNIPort, etc.) might also:  most of a 20,000+ class image are application classes and presumably the right (or do I mean wrong :-) ) ghost class system(s) could double or triple their number.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

>Hi Eliot,
>

>>2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
>>complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
>>created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
>>1m classes enough (24 bits)?
>>

> 22708 and counting.
> So to me 64k seems a bit low as a hard limit.

>-

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: SQL Server Connection Parcel

Linh Dinh

Thanks to David and Boris, I was ecstatic when I learned we didn't have to create a DSN to connect to SQL Server.  However, I’m running into a wall trying to get the Lens framework to connect to SQL Server.  I have searched the entire vw7.7 folder but it doesn’t appear there is a Lens parcel for SQL Server.  There are Lens parcel for Sybase, Oracle, DB2 in the c:\vw7.7\database folder but nothing for SQL Server.  I’ve tried Google for the Lens framework support for SQL Server but it didn’t return any useful link.  How do I go about creating a Lens Data Modeler for SQL Server?

Thanks,

Linh

[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk