A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

1234 ... 6

A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    I wanted to share a couple of simple and cheap customizations I've made on my daily Squeak image that I feel improves (phisical) ergonomy. I suggest those guys that make that customized images take a look and ofcourse the official Squeak to see if, triviality aside, this is cool enough.

    To install, 1) evaluate in a workspace the code in Preferences.text attached file and 2) install the ListItemColorPreferences.1.cs changeset file.

    The changeset with 2 method modifications that make the lists use the preferences instead of harcoded colors for highlighting. The preferences code is in the other attached file.

    Criteria was: minimalism, a better Fitts law score and better contrast.

    Minimalism. No splitter handlers and pollute the windows with scrolls only when rigorously necessary.
    Fitts. Make the scrolls wider to reduce the time aiming the pointer device (mouse or whatever) before the click.
    Contrast. Take care on contrast making it better for items selected in a list.

    I encourage to use better contrast for highlighting in selected list items. Try to read from 1 meter of the screen with the default red over lightgray (low contrast) and then customize it to a better contrasted version. I liked the readability of cyan over dark blue but is so different from the main theme that I choosed a not that radical one (like the one I've put in the preferences file).

    As developers parsing the low contrast symbols hundred of times a day ofen for hours at that low contrast can wastely "raise the temp of our graphic cards", this is, unecessary visual stress.

    Who knows.. everything to save a couple of headaches :)

    all the best,

Sebastian Sastre

PD: when I had some more time for this I plan to make a preference of opening menues and submenues with a click (like it is now) or only with a mouse over. This can save hundreds of clicks a week and so the clicker finger join.

ListItemColorPreferences.1.cs (839 bytes) Download Attachment
Preferences.text (737 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Sebastian,

2007/7/9, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> I wanted to share a couple of simple and cheap customizations I've made
> on my daily Squeak image that I feel improves (phisical) ergonomy. I suggest
> those guys that make that customized images take a look and ofcourse the
> official Squeak to see if, triviality aside, this is cool enough.

I've included your changes. They will be present in future squeak-dev images.

However, I would prefer that method overrides be present in the base
image. Can you open a bug report, provide a monticello file for the
changes and inform the mailing list please? This would help for a 3.10
adoption.

>     I encourage to use better contrast for highlighting in selected list
> items. Try to read from 1 meter of the screen with the default red over
> lightgray (low contrast) and then customize it to a better contrasted
> version. I liked the readability of cyan over dark blue but is so different
> from the main theme that I choosed a not that radical one (like the one I've
> put in the preferences file).

What is the color you prefer? I can try it for future squeak-dev image
releases. I don't think people really cares about the radical change
if it makes things better.

Damien Cassou

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Mikael Kindborg-2
Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
default fonts.
Best, Micke

2007/7/9, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there,
>
>     I wanted to share a couple of simple and cheap customizations I've made
> on my daily Squeak image that I feel improves (phisical) ergonomy. I suggest
> those guys that make that customized images take a look and ofcourse the
> official Squeak to see if, triviality aside, this is cool enough.
>
>     To install, 1) evaluate in a workspace the code in Preferences.text
> attached file and 2) install the ListItemColorPreferences.1.cs changeset
> file.
>
>     The changeset with 2 method modifications that make the lists use the
> preferences instead of harcoded colors for highlighting. The preferences
> code is in the other attached file.
>
>     Criteria was: minimalism, a better Fitts law score and better contrast.
>
>     Minimalism. No splitter handlers and pollute the windows with scrolls
> only when rigorously necessary.
>     Fitts. Make the scrolls wider to reduce the time aiming the pointer
> device (mouse or whatever) before the click.
>     Contrast. Take care on contrast making it better for items selected in a
> list.
>
>     I encourage to use better contrast for highlighting in selected list
> items. Try to read from 1 meter of the screen with the default red over
> lightgray (low contrast) and then customize it to a better contrasted
> version. I liked the readability of cyan over dark blue but is so different
> from the main theme that I choosed a not that radical one (like the one I've
> put in the preferences file).
>
>     As developers parsing the low contrast symbols hundred of times a day
> ofen for hours at that low contrast can wastely "raise the temp of our
> graphic cards", this is, unecessary visual stress.
>
>     Who knows.. everything to save a couple of headaches :)
>
>     all the best,
>

> Sebastian Sastre
>
> PD: when I had some more time for this I plan to make a preference of
> opening menues and submenues with a click (like it is now) or only with a
> mouse over. This can save hundreds of clicks a week and so the clicker
> finger join.

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Piers Cawley
On 09/07/07, Mikael Kindborg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
> greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
> professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
> out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
> default fonts.

Every time I try and use TTF fonts, I find that my code panes can lose
their marbles in interesting ways. Either a Red Rectangle of Death (no
fun), or the insertion point losing its place when typing quickly
(also no fun). This is on an Intel mac and (I think) the latest VM
(I'll check when I'm back home).

So, I tend to stick with bitmapped fonts in my image because I haven't
got the faintest idea where to look to begin fixing the issue.

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno lun, 09/07/2007 alle 11.25 +0200, Mikael Kindborg ha scritto:
> Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
> greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
> professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
> out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
> default fonts.

Even better, we could use the free and unencumbered Liberation fonts:
https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

Here's a screenshot of one of my work images:
http://www.corriga.net/~giovanni/Hacking.image.png

        Giovanni

2007/7/9, Giovanni Corriga <[hidden email]>:

> Il giorno lun, 09/07/2007 alle 11.25 +0200, Mikael Kindborg ha scritto:
> > Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
> > greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
> > professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
> > out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
> > default fonts.
>
> Even better, we could use the free and unencumbered Liberation fonts:
> https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/
>
> Here's a screenshot of one of my work images:
> http://www.corriga.net/~giovanni/Hacking.image.png
>
>         Giovanni

Looks really great! Thanks for the screenshot! Would be great as the
default Squeak font, to my taste at least!

Regarding the Bitstream Vera license, I recall mention of restrictions
with the license, but when I read the license it seems pretty liberal:
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/#Final_Bitstream_Vera_Fonts
Am I missing something here?

Best regards, Micke

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Herbert König
Hello Piers,

PC> fun), or the insertion point losing its place when typing quickly
PC> (also no fun). This is on an Intel mac and (I think) the latest VM
PC> (I'll check when I'm back home).

this seems to be the Shout issue which is resolved by the attached
file (just a few bytes). Maybe it's incorporated in newer Versions of
Shout.

Be careful to have a backup though.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

PluggableShoutMorph-stylerStyled.st (832 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Andrew Tween
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:03:26 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments
>
> Hello Piers,
>

> PC> fun), or the insertion point losing its place when typing quickly
> PC> (also no fun). This is on an Intel mac and (I think) the latest VM
> PC> (I'll check when I'm back home).
>
> this seems to be the Shout issue which is resolved by the attached
> file (just a few bytes). Maybe it's incorporated in newer Versions of
> Shout.

Yes. The latest on SqueakMap, Shout.3.15-tween.70, includes this fix.

Cheers,
Andy

Are you the Quizmaster? Play BrainBattle with a friend now!

On 09/07/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:03:26 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments
> >
> > Hello Piers,
> >
> > PC> fun), or the insertion point losing its place when typing quickly
> > PC> (also no fun). This is on an Intel mac and (I think) the latest VM
> > PC> (I'll check when I'm back home).
> >
> > this seems to be the Shout issue which is resolved by the attached
> > file (just a few bytes). Maybe it's incorporated in newer Versions of
> > Shout.
>
>  Yes. The latest on SqueakMap, Shout.3.15-tween.70, includes this fix.

Thanks. I shall apply it promptly.

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

timrowledge

On 9-Jul-07, at 3:33 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:

> Every time I try and use TTF fonts, I find that my code panes can lose
> their marbles in interesting ways. Either a Red Rectangle of Death (no
> fun), or the insertion point losing its place when typing quickly
> (also no fun). This is on an Intel mac and (I think) the latest VM
> (I'll check when I'm back home).
That's odd. I've been using the TTF font stuff for ages on
RISC OS
winXP (when I had an HP laptop for a while)
ppc macs
intel macs
... all with no problem. I've mostly stuck with the BitStreamVera
group because I just like them but I've tried others at times
including some weirdoes like Spacedock Stencil, Futurex Apocalypse etc.

tim
Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Juan Vuletich-4
Giovanni Corriga escribió:

> Il giorno lun, 09/07/2007 alle 11.25 +0200, Mikael Kindborg ha scritto:
>
>> Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
>> greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
>> professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
>> out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
>> default fonts.
>>

> Even better, we could use the free and unencumbered Liberation fonts:
> https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/
>
> Here's a screenshot of one of my work images:
> http://www.corriga.net/~giovanni/Hacking.image.png
>
> Giovanni

In my opinion http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm looks so
much nicer!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Micke,

        now you talk about the font, there are some guidelines to choose
fonts. All choices must comply certain minimal requeriments to produce a
good experience.

        Serif fonts (like Times, Bookman, or Palatino) are easier to read on
paper, but sans-serif fonts (like Geneva, Arial or Helvetica) are easier to
read on screen.
        An italic fonts in screen too ofen renders poorly. They are much
more acceptable on paper (from laserprint or offset). To read them in
screen, only are acceptable if they renders fine (usually in singnificant
bigger sizes). The use of different colors or tone variations is preferable
(IMHO).
        Sharp is less stresser than non-sharp (I know the non sharp is nicer
but when is health involved...)

        I like the design of the font that Giovanni sent as reference but
they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in poor/blurry render).
        The one that Juan sent has those features but with better rendering
results (but still not as good as sharp ones).

        By now I'm using Accujen 12. I not a fan of it's design but is
simple sharp so I archieve good and unstressive readability.

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

Yes but I need to know how to do it. Can you tell me how?

> >     I encourage to use better contrast for highlighting in selected
> > list items. Try to read from 1 meter of the screen with the default
> > red over lightgray (low contrast) and then customize it to a better
> > contrasted version. I liked the readability of cyan over
> dark blue but
> > is so different from the main theme that I choosed a not
> that radical
> > one (like the one I've put in the preferences file).
>

> What is the color you prefer? I can try it for future
> squeak-dev image releases. I don't think people really cares
> about the radical change if it makes things better.

Ok, one of this two:
        Preferences valueOfPreference: #selectedListItemForegroundColor
(Color r: 0.0 g: 0.0 b: 0.501)
        Preferences valueOfPreference: #selectedListItemBackgroundColor
(Color r: 0.156 g: 0.972 b: 0.976)

        Preferences valueOfPreference: #selectedListItemForegroundColor
(Color r: 0.156 g: 0.972 b: 0.976)
        Preferences valueOfPreference: #selectedListItemBackgroundColor
(Color r: 0.0 g: 0.0 b: 0.501)

> --
> Damien Cassou

Cheers,

Sebastian

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:31:15PM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Giovanni Corriga escribi?:
> >Il giorno lun, 09/07/2007 alle 11.25 +0200, Mikael Kindborg ha scritto:
> >
> >>Hi, those are nice changes. I also feel that a font like VeraSans
> >>greatly improves the user experience. Looks much more
> >>professional/fun/clear in my opinion. I speculate that people who try
> >>out Squeak would be more positive to the system with better looking
> >>default fonts.
> >>

> >Even better, we could use the free and unencumbered Liberation fonts:
> >https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/
> >
> >Here's a screenshot of one of my work images:
> >http://www.corriga.net/~giovanni/Hacking.image.png
> >
> > Giovanni
> >

> In my opinion http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm looks so
> much nicer!

I am no expert in fonts, but your solution is beautiful visually. I like the
idea of doing it all in Smalltalk too. If I recall the earlier discussions,
there was some worry about the memory requirements for a large number of
fonts, but I should think that a clever person might come up with a solution
based on ImageSegments, and this seems much more appealing than a dependency
on external code libraries.

Dave

Re: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Mikael Kindborg-2
2007/7/9, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Micke,
>
>         now you talk about the font, there are some guidelines to choose
> fonts. All choices must comply certain minimal requeriments to produce a
> good experience.
>
>         Serif fonts (like Times, Bookman, or Palatino) are easier to read on
> paper, but sans-serif fonts (like Geneva, Arial or Helvetica) are easier to
> read on screen.
>         An italic fonts in screen too ofen renders poorly. They are much
> more acceptable on paper (from laserprint or offset). To read them in
> screen, only are acceptable if they renders fine (usually in singnificant
> bigger sizes). The use of different colors or tone variations is preferable
> (IMHO).
>         Sharp is less stresser than non-sharp (I know the non sharp is nicer
> but when is health involved...)
>

>         I like the design of the font that Giovanni sent as reference but
> they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in poor/blurry render).
>         The one that Juan sent has those features but with better rendering
> results (but still not as good as sharp ones).
>
>         By now I'm using Accujen 12. I not a fan of it's design but is
> simple sharp so I archieve good and unstressive readability.
>
>         cheers,
>
> Sebastian Sastre

Yes, now when I look at the Vera Sans fonts I use, they are not at all sharp.
Giovanni's fonts look better, and Juan's rendering technique looks very good!

Best, Micke

Il giorno mar, 10/07/2007 alle 13.24 +0200, Mikael Kindborg ha scritto:

> 2007/7/9, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Micke,
> >
> >         now you talk about the font, there are some guidelines to choose
> > fonts. All choices must comply certain minimal requeriments to produce a
> > good experience.
> >
> >         Serif fonts (like Times, Bookman, or Palatino) are easier to read on
> > paper, but sans-serif fonts (like Geneva, Arial or Helvetica) are easier to
> > read on screen.
> >         An italic fonts in screen too ofen renders poorly. They are much
> > more acceptable on paper (from laserprint or offset). To read them in
> > screen, only are acceptable if they renders fine (usually in singnificant
> > bigger sizes). The use of different colors or tone variations is preferable
> > (IMHO).
> >         Sharp is less stresser than non-sharp (I know the non sharp is nicer
> > but when is health involved...)
> >

> >         I like the design of the font that Giovanni sent as reference but
> > they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in poor/blurry render).
> >         The one that Juan sent has those features but with better rendering
> > results (but still not as good as sharp ones).
> >
> >         By now I'm using Accujen 12. I not a fan of it's design but is
> > simple sharp so I archieve good and unstressive readability.
> >
> >         cheers,
> >
> > Sebastian Sastre
> >

> Yes, now when I look at the Vera Sans fonts I use, they are not at all sharp.
> Giovanni's fonts look better, and Juan's rendering technique looks very good!

As someone reminded me in a private mail, unfortunately the Liberation
fonts are under the GPL license.

        Giovanni

Il giorno lun, 09/07/2007 alle 16.51 -0300, Sebastian Sastre ha scritto:

> Hi Micke,
>
> now you talk about the font, there are some guidelines to choose
> fonts. All choices must comply certain minimal requeriments to produce a
> good experience.
>
> Serif fonts (like Times, Bookman, or Palatino) are easier to read on
> paper, but sans-serif fonts (like Geneva, Arial or Helvetica) are easier to
> read on screen.
> An italic fonts in screen too ofen renders poorly. They are much
> more acceptable on paper (from laserprint or offset). To read them in
> screen, only are acceptable if they renders fine (usually in singnificant
> bigger sizes). The use of different colors or tone variations is preferable
> (IMHO).
> Sharp is less stresser than non-sharp (I know the non sharp is nicer
> but when is health involved...)
>

> I like the design of the font that Giovanni sent as reference but
> they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in poor/blurry render).

Have you tried them on an image with the FreeType package installed?
They look much better.

        Giovanni

RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Sebastian Sastre-2

> > they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in
> poor/blurry render).
>
> Have you tried them on an image with the FreeType package installed?
> They look much better.
>
> Giovanni

In fact I having trouble installing it. I've install it, see all tests
green, but it visually makes no difference. Image 3.9.7067, VM 3.10.2
(alpha) from Jun 5 2007

        I cant remember where I've downloaded that VM to try to see if vm
ffi are from the same source.

        I don't know why don't work or if in the installation process should
do something manually. (I'v tried both, squeakmap and universes).

        Any clue?

Sebastian

Il giorno mer, 11/07/2007 alle 13.13 -0300, Sebastian Sastre ha scritto:

> > > they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in
> > poor/blurry render).
> >
> > Have you tried them on an image with the FreeType package installed?
> > They look much better.
> >
> > Giovanni
> >
> In fact I having trouble installing it. I've install it, see all tests
> green, but it visually makes no difference. Image 3.9.7067, VM 3.10.2
> (alpha) from Jun 5 2007
>
> I cant remember where I've downloaded that VM to try to see if vm
> ffi are from the same source.
>
> I don't know why don't work or if in the installation process should
> do something manually. (I'v tried both, squeakmap and universes).
>
> Any clue?

None at all. I'm on a 7121 image, a 3.9-9 vm and using the plugins as
extracted from the .sar file available on SqueakMap.

Could it be that you have the Liberation fonts already installed in that
image? Could you try it with another image (without the fonts
installed)?

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Andrew Tween
Hi Sebastian,

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:13:55 -0300
> Subject: RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments
>

> > > they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in
> > poor/blurry render).
> >
> > Have you tried them on an image with the FreeType package installed?
> > They look much better.
> >
> > Giovanni
> >
> In fact I having trouble installing it. I've install it, see all tests
> green, but it visually makes no difference. Image 3.9.7067, VM 3.10.2
> (alpha) from Jun 5 2007
>
> I cant remember where I've downloaded that VM to try to see if vm
> ffi are from the same source.
>
> I don't know why don't work or if in the installation process should
> do something manually. (I'v tried both, squeakmap and universes).
>
> Any clue?

This is on Windows? Which version? (XP, Vista, 98 etc).

Could you please install from SqueakMap (or universes).
You should find that you have an ft2plugin.dll and a BitBltPlugin.dll in the same folder as the squeak.exe.

Then evaluate the following in a Workspace, print the result, and tell me what it says? You can either reply to the list, or email me privately.
---

| s |
s := WriteStream on: ''.
s cr; nextPutAll: 'FT2 Version: ', FT2Version current asString; cr.
s nextPutAll: 'Dirs: ', FreeTypeFontProvider current platformAbsoluteDirectories asString;cr.
s nextPutAll: 'Files: ', (FreeTypeFontProvider current instVarNamed: 'fileInfos') asString; cr.
s contents

---
You should see something similar to this....

FT2 Version: 2.2.1
Dirs: an OrderedCollection(DosFileDirectory on ''c:\windows\fonts'')
Files: an IdentitySet(c:\windows\fonts\BRADHITC.TTF[0] Bradley Hand ITC - Regular -
 c:\windows\fonts\JUICE___.TTF[0] Juice ITC - Regular -
 c:\windows\fonts\davidbd.ttf[0] David - Bold -  B
 c:\windows\fonts\rod.ttf[0] Rod - Regular -    Monospaced
 c:\windows\fonts\kaiu.ttf[0] DFKai-SB - Regular -    Monospaced
 c:\windows\fonts\sylfaen.ttf[0] Sylfaen - Regular -
 c:\windows\fonts\ariali.ttf[0] Arial - Italic -   I

etc.

And, if you do see something similar to the above, then you should be able to set the system fonts using the World>>Appearance...>> System fonts... menu.

Cheers,
Andy