A few more ideas about preferences

Igor Stasenko
It would be nice to have a message appear after package installation:
'A new preferences has been added , would you like to review them now'
and if user answers yes - show him only those which is added.

also, for unification - i think it is fine to treat an author settings
(initials) as preference.
Then if you submit any code - system could check if this preference is
set and request it to be filled.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: A few more ideas about preferences

Alain Plantec-4
Igor Stasenko a écrit :
> It would be nice to have a message appear after package installation:
> 'A new preferences has been added , would you like to review them now'
> and if user answers yes - show him only those which is added.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to change something in package installation.
Preferences have to remain as simple as possible.
The preference tool can offer a way to view preferences by package.
> also, for unification - i think it is fine to treat an author settings
> (initials) as preference.
> Then if you submit any code - system could check if this preference is
> set and request it to be filled.

yes , one can have also fonts, display depth, display color, display
gradient in.
So, what about Settings or Parameters as a package name instead of
Preferences ?
cheers
alain

2009/3/5 Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>:
> Igor Stasenko a écrit :
>> It would be nice to have a message appear after package installation:
>> 'A new preferences has been added , would you like to review them now'
>> and if user answers yes - show him only those which is added.
>>
> I'm not sure it is a good idea to change something in package installation.

Its just a convenience measure.
Say, if i just installed new package, i'd like to know if there any
preferences i can play with.

> Preferences have to remain as simple as possible.
sure.
But this is more about integration with Pharo as a consistent dev
environment, which should show nice and friendly messages to user.
You can keep preferences package clean,
but make a separate one, like Pharo-Preferences-integration, where
this stuff will live.

I don't know if there's exists a system-wide event, like 'new package
just installed', then any who willing to hook into it could react on
such event.

> The preference tool can offer a way to view preferences by package.

Yes, this would be nice to group/filter preferences by package.

>> also, for unification - i think it is fine to treat an author settings
>> (initials) as preference.
>> Then if you submit any code - system could check if this preference is
>> set and request it to be filled.
>>
> yes , one can have also fonts, display depth, display color, display
> gradient in.
> So, what about Settings or Parameters as a package name instead of
> Preferences ?

don't see real difference..

Igor Stasenko a écrit :

> 2009/3/5 Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Igor Stasenko a écrit :
>>
>>> It would be nice to have a message appear after package installation:
>>> 'A new preferences has been added , would you like to review them now'
>>> and if user answers yes - show him only those which is added.
>>>

>> I'm not sure it is a good idea to change something in package installation.
> But this is more about integration with Pharo as a consistent dev
> environment, which should show nice and friendly messages to user.
> You can keep preferences package clean,
> but make a separate one, like Pharo-Preferences-integration, where
> this stuff will live.
>
> I don't know if there's exists a system-wide event, like 'new package
> just installed', then any who willing to hook into it could react on
> such event.

ok Igor, I keep that in mind and will investigate on that point later.

>> The preference tool can offer a way to view preferences by package.
>>

> Yes, this would be nice to group/filter preferences by package.
>

>>> also, for unification - i think it is fine to treat an author settings
>>> (initials) as preference.
>>> Then if you submit any code - system could check if this preference is
>>> set and request it to be filled.
>>>

>> yes , one can have also fonts, display depth, display color, display
>> gradient in.
>> So, what about Settings or Parameters as a package name instead of
>> Preferences ?
>>

> don't see real difference..

it is only a detail, but, I see  author initials as a setting not as a
preference. (you say author settings...)
Cheers
alain

2009/3/5 Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 02:57:41PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> >>
>> > I'm not sure it is a good idea to change something in package installation.
>>
>> Its just a convenience measure.
>> Say, if i just installed new package, i'd like to know if there any
>> preferences i can play with.
>>
>> > Preferences have to remain as simple as possible.
>> sure.
>> But this is more about integration with Pharo as a consistent dev
>> environment, which should show nice and friendly messages to user.
>> You can keep preferences package clean,
>> but make a separate one, like Pharo-Preferences-integration, where
>> this stuff will live.
>>
>> I don't know if there's exists a system-wide event, like 'new package
>> just installed', then any who willing to hook into it could react on
>> such event.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is not, at least in Monticello. It would
> be a great application of the new standardization on
> Announcements

Right. ++1

> Put it in MCVersionLoader >> load
>
> --