A few questions

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: A few questions

NorbertHartl
Hilaire,

On 03.01.2011, at 12:11, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Pier looks neat and feature complete.
>
> I looked at the FAQ and found the indicated path to managment tool
> |(those starting with /environment/|) to be obsolete with verison 2.0 of
> Pier, it will be helpful for the beginner.

In newer pier installations the environments are below /system/templates

> I have tried for more than a hour to change this "What's new?" things on
> the right of a default Pier setup. Is it a blog or so? I can not even
> add article to it?

"What's new" is part of a template/environment. To work this out properly and reliable you can do the following: Go to the blog page where you can see the "What's new". Then press the "Settings" command link. There is an entry for environment. Either there is a path indicating which template it uses or it is empty which means the environment is inherited from the parent page. So you need to check the settings all the path up to the root until you find an entry in the environment settings. If you've found one then navigate to the path and press "Edit". Et voilà you can should see the "What's new" somewhere in the template.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Re: A few questions

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED

On 03.01.2011, at 13:20, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Ok. If I want to keep it, how can I add entry to this posttiker?

The postticker display the last posts from your blog. If this is a pre configured installation it should be working out of the box. So the answer is: You can add someting to the postticker if you add something to your blog. If you are not able to add something to your blog than the most prominent failure could be that you didn't add a publication date in your post. In the pier blog module posts are only visible if they have a publication date. So just go to a post press "Edit", press the button besides the publication date field and press "Save". If it still seem to not working you can renew your seaside session and have a second look.

Norbert

Re: A few questions

NorbertHartl

On 03.01.2011, at 13:32, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Le 03/01/2011 13:20, Hilaire Fernandes a écrit :
>>
>> Ok. If I want to keep it, how can I add entry to this posttiker?
>>

> When editing the Post Ticker I see a Source field set to /

In my case it is "/blog". If you press the choose button than you can see possible sources/blogs. The are links and colored.

> What is it ? Feed from the root, then where should be post the note to
> appear in the post ticker. Guessing, guessing... take too much time.

It is the blog from which the posts are taken to be display in the post ticker. And you are right it is a lot of guessing and a lot of wasting time getting things done.

Maybe the time has come to start a book project for pier as well. I like the books on pharo and seaside. One for pier wouldn't be too bad. At least I know some guys struggeling that could add some content. Including myself.

What do you think?

Norbert

Re: A few questions

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: A few questions

Reza Razavi
At 13:43 03/01/2011, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>What do you think?

Hello everybody, and Happy New Year!

A book project for Pier is a great idea, and I'm ready to contribute.

Cheers,
Reza

On 03.01.2011, at 21:39, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

yes, it would be awesome. You can contact Tudor Girba and ask him a template or a ready image (like he did for Pharo)

I don't think the preparation of the image is a problem. We should first figure out who will host the image. As Lukas is not speaking up I assume he is not interested. Do you know where the other images are hosted? (books for pharo and seaside). Is it on seasidehosting?

Norbert

At 11:11 04/01/2011, Norbert Hartl wrote:

On 03.01.2011, at 21:39, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

yes, it would be awesome. You can contact Tudor Girba and ask him a template or a ready image (like he did for Pharo)
I don't think the preparation of the image is a problem. We should first figure out who will host the image.

Yes, and also the book content. I guess that we could start from here (Section on Pier):
http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/masters/Reng06a.pdf
http://www.piercms.com/doc/

 As Lukas is not speaking up I assume he is not interested.

Well, he probably knows how time consuming may be such a project ;-)
Also, he has already written quite a lot on this topic.
What's there really new to add?

Do you know where the other images are hosted?

Could we have book.piercms.com?
It currently redirects to seaside.st.

Cheers,
Reza

Re: A few questions

NorbertHartl

Well, now I think Lukas should say anything. On the one hand the information and the infrastructure is there. www.piercms.com is a wiki, right? :) So we are talking again where to put information and how to collaborate. I only had the impression that the book form of the wiki might concentrate the efforts better.

Lukas, is www.piercms.com open for content contributors? Do you think a book is a good idea or do you have the impression that the wiki pages are sufficient for documenting?

 As Lukas is not speaking up I assume he is not interested.

Well, he probably knows how time consuming may be such a project ;-)
Also, he has already written quite a lot on this topic.
What's there really new to add?

Well, as long as there are questions about pier there is something to add. I think newbie information is rare. There are a lot of things doable with default pier. These things depend often on the difference between linking, embedding and the available parameters. Other use cases are solvable with permissions (and/or embedding things). I know no information source that explains PRDocument and possible usage and this is quite a powerful feature. That is only usage. The more you work with pier the more you want to extend it. Information about the class hierarchies is not really there. E.g. how to embed a widget programmatically in a page. How to write a command? Why and how to extend PRValueLink?. ......
Is that a suitable answer?

Do you know where the other images are hosted?

Could we have book.piercms.com?
It currently redirects to seaside.st.

Ok, there is a dns entry and the zone info was changed today. So there might be good news at the end of this day :) Lukas?

Norbert

Re: A few questions

Lukas Renggli
The reason for not replying are simple:

- I didn't have internet except for the iPhone for the past weeks.
- I moved my houshold from Bern to Zurich.
- I started with a new job yesterday.

So please stop expecting immediate answers.

The answer is:

Doru setup the piercms.com site, ask him to integrate/fix/add content
(or maybe better create a bug report). We originally planned to have a
chapter on Pier in the Seaside book, similar to the one on Magritte;
but that didn't happen due to time constraints.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: A few questions

Reza Razavi
At 18:35 04/01/2011, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>The reason for not replying are simple:
>
>- I didn't have internet except for the iPhone for the past weeks.
>- I moved my houshold from Bern to Zurich.
>- I started with a new job yesterday.

Thanks Lukas for the information, and All the Best for your new
living environment and job.

Re: A few questions

Tudor Girba

piercms.com is open for contributions, especially in the documentation side. Let me know, and I provide an account.

Cheers,
Doru

On 4 Jan 2011, at 18:35, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Do you know where the other
>> images are hosted?
>> Could we have book.piercms.com?
>> It currently redirects to seaside.st.
>>
>> Ok, there is a dns entry and the zone info was changed today. So there might be good news at the end of this day :) Lukas?

www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."