A general guide for method categories/protocols?

A general guide for method categories/protocols?

bahman
When I'm developing components -still following Seaside tutorial[1],
chapter 5- there are methods that I don't know what is the best
protocol/category[2]  for them, like `editTask' or `createNewTask'.

I'd like to know what you pro Smalltalk'ers do.

TIA,

[1] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/seaside/tutorial
[2] Not sure which term is correct.

PS:  For those methods that deal with rendering, I've created a category
called "rendering".

--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)
ERP Evaluation, Implementation, Deployment Consultant

Re: A general guide for method categories/protocols?

Tobias Pape
Hi

Am 27.05.2013 um 08:48 schrieb Bahman Movaqar <[hidden email]>:

> When I'm developing components -still following Seaside tutorial[1],
> chapter 5- there are methods that I don't know what is the best
> protocol/category[2]  for them, like `editTask' or `createNewTask'.

I have categorized such things under "actions" sometimes.
Or, depending on the class they would be in, under "tasks"
or "task handling"
  But thats just my taste.

> I'd like to know what you pro Smalltalk'ers do.
>
> TIA,
>
> [1] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/seaside/tutorial
> [2] Not sure which term is correct.
        both :)

> PS:  For those methods that deal with rendering, I've created a category
> called "rendering".

Yup, sounds good.

Best
        -Tobias

On 2013-05-27 17:29, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am 27.05.2013 um 08:48 schrieb Bahman Movaqar <[hidden email]>:
>
>> When I'm developing components -still following Seaside tutorial[1],
>> chapter 5- there are methods that I don't know what is the best
>> protocol/category[2]  for them, like `editTask' or `createNewTask'.
>>

> I have categorized such things under "actions" sometimes.
> Or, depending on the class they would be in, under "tasks"
> or "task handling"
>   But thats just my taste.
>
>> I'd like to know what you pro Smalltalk'ers do.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> [1] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/seaside/tutorial
>> [2] Not sure which term is correct.
> both :)
>

>> PS:  For those methods that deal with rendering, I've created a category
>> called "rendering".
>

> Yup, sounds good.

Thanks Tobias!

--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)
ERP Evaluation, Implementation, Deployment Consultant

Re: A general guide for method categories/protocols?

mozillanerd
Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > PS:  For those methods that deal with rendering, I've created a category
> > called "rendering".
>
> Yup, sounds good.
>
> Best
> -Tobias

Tobias and Bahman, if I may interject, when you enter a new method without
choosing a protocol beforehand, you will see in the protocol pane, 'as yet
unclassified'. If the method is an accessor or initialize, depending on the
browser you use, it may offer to categorize it automatically as 'rendering'
or 'initialize'

Am 27.05.2013 um 18:37 schrieb intrader <[hidden email]>:

> Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

>>> PS:  For those methods that deal with rendering, I've created a category
>>> called "rendering".
>>
>> Yup, sounds good.
>>
>> Best
>> -Tobias
>>

> Tobias and Bahman, if I may interject, when you enter a new method without
> choosing a protocol beforehand, you will see in the protocol pane, 'as yet
> unclassified'. If the method is an accessor or initialize, depending on the
> browser you use, it may offer to categorize it automatically as 'rendering'
> or 'initialize'

If it is an accessor, it should rather be classified as "accessing".
You are right, when you first create a method (_without_ having a
protocol selected beforehand), it will not be classified (->
'as yet unclassified') as Smalltalk cannot know how you want it to
be classified.

Best
        -Tobias