A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

For forthcoming Scribo one-click image to be as easy as possible for
newcomers and non Smalltalkers we need to build a small GUI app for
start and stop of Scribo.

Anyone volunteering for that really simple Squeak Morphic app?

I see this app in a small window, with:

1. Scribo logo at the top
2. two buttons: Start, Stop, one is obviously grayed and disabled.
3. aidademo running at http://localhost:8888
    (this line is written from AIDASite data, one line for each
     AIDASite present. See SwazooServer singleton sites)
4. class name: ScriboStartup (or osmething like that)

That's it? Isn't really simple :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

garduino
Not much time, however I talked something with Nico and he told me
that should be better to avoid using any framework (I was thinking in
use EasyMorphicGUI or even MCTool).

Then I found some free minutes, and tried to build something with pure
morphic, and I have something like the screen attached. Not work yet,
but is only and idea, to know if may be useful or not.

Let me know.

Cheers.

2008/10/5 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
>
> For forthcoming Scribo one-click image to be as easy as possible for
> newcomers and non Smalltalkers we need to build a small GUI app for
> start and stop of Scribo.
>
> Anyone volunteering for that really simple Squeak Morphic app?
>
> I see this app in a small window, with:
>
> 1. Scribo logo at the top
> 2. two buttons: Start, Stop, one is obviously grayed and disabled.
> 3. aidademo running at http://localhost:8888
>    (this line is written from AIDASite data, one line for each
>     AIDASite present. See SwazooServer singleton sites)
> 4. class name: ScriboStartup (or osmething like that)
>
> That's it? Isn't really simple :)
>
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

scriboconsole.jpg (18K) Download Attachment

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

Jimmie Houchin-3
I just had a thought.

What if we simply put an always running AIDA/Scribo admin web page on an
uncommon port. This way if the setup is running headless or on another
machine an admin page can be always available to start and stop
AIDA/Scribo sites and apps as desired.

This admin should always be on and running and independent of any other
AIDA/Scribo site or app. It should be aware of all AIDA/Scribo sites and
apps that are installed or available to be installed and configured.

This way the UI is put into skill set of those who use and develop
AIDA/Scribo and would also be available to any of the Smalltalks running
AIDA/Scribo. It could be built to handle any and all website
administration, installation, configuration, etc. functionality the
community wants.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Jimmie

Germán Arduino wrote:

> Not much time, however I talked something with Nico and he told me
> that should be better to avoid using any framework (I was thinking in
> use EasyMorphicGUI or even MCTool).
>
> Then I found some free minutes, and tried to build something with pure
> morphic, and I have something like the screen attached. Not work yet,
> but is only and idea, to know if may be useful or not.
>
> Let me know.
>
> Cheers.
>
> 2008/10/5 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> For forthcoming Scribo one-click image to be as easy as possible for
>> newcomers and non Smalltalkers we need to build a small GUI app for
>> start and stop of Scribo.
>>
>> Anyone volunteering for that really simple Squeak Morphic app?
>>
>> I see this app in a small window, with:
>>
>> 1. Scribo logo at the top
>> 2. two buttons: Start, Stop, one is obviously grayed and disabled.
>> 3. aidademo running at http://localhost:8888
>>    (this line is written from AIDASite data, one line for each
>>     AIDASite present. See SwazooServer singleton sites)
>> 4. class name: ScriboStartup (or osmething like that)
>>
>> That's it? Isn't really simple :)
>>
>> Janko

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

garduino
Well, I asked Janko when he posted this mail about the sort of UI (web
or desktop) and he tell me that prefer desktop.

Being desktop not a big problem to execute, if you have VNC running on
such image.

But, I think that Janko and Nico should respond :)

Cheers.

2008/10/28 Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:

> I just had a thought.
>
> What if we simply put an always running AIDA/Scribo admin web page on an
> uncommon port. This way if the setup is running headless or on another
> machine an admin page can be always available to start and stop
> AIDA/Scribo sites and apps as desired.
>
> This admin should always be on and running and independent of any other
> AIDA/Scribo site or app. It should be aware of all AIDA/Scribo sites and
> apps that are installed or available to be installed and configured.
>
> This way the UI is put into skill set of those who use and develop
> AIDA/Scribo and would also be available to any of the Smalltalks running
> AIDA/Scribo. It could be built to handle any and all website
> administration, installation, configuration, etc. functionality the
> community wants.
>
> Just wanted to put that out there.
>
> Jimmie
>

> Germán Arduino wrote:
>> Not much time, however I talked something with Nico and he told me
>> that should be better to avoid using any framework (I was thinking in
>> use EasyMorphicGUI or even MCTool).
>>
>> Then I found some free minutes, and tried to build something with pure
>> morphic, and I have something like the screen attached. Not work yet,
>> but is only and idea, to know if may be useful or not.
>>
>> Let me know.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> 2008/10/5 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> For forthcoming Scribo one-click image to be as easy as possible for
>>> newcomers and non Smalltalkers we need to build a small GUI app for
>>> start and stop of Scribo.
>>>
>>> Anyone volunteering for that really simple Squeak Morphic app?
>>>
>>> I see this app in a small window, with:
>>>
>>> 1. Scribo logo at the top
>>> 2. two buttons: Start, Stop, one is obviously grayed and disabled.
>>> 3. aidademo running at http://localhost:8888
>>>    (this line is written from AIDASite data, one line for each
>>>     AIDASite present. See SwazooServer singleton sites)
>>> 4. class name: ScriboStartup (or osmething like that)
>>>
>>> That's it? Isn't really simple :)
>>>
>>> Janko

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Germán Arduino wrote:
> Well, I asked Janko when he posted this mail about the sort of UI (web
> or desktop) and he tell me that prefer desktop.
>
> Being desktop not a big problem to execute, if you have VNC running on
> such image.
>
> But, I think that Janko and Nico should respond :)

I like to have just a very simple GUI app for a end user to start a web
server and guide them further by providing an url which should open
next. This url will then open a full website, also with configuration
and admin web apps for more advanced configuration.

I like Jimmie's proposal and I thought many times already in that
direction.  We really need some "neutral" website to add new sites, for
instance.

But this is already an advanced feature, let we finish this newcomer
guidance first: a simple GUI app just to start website, where url is
listed to guide user to open next. On the web side we need to finish
newcomer friendly configuration, specially the most common one like
changing hostname/ip/port of the default site.

Best regards
Janko

> 2008/10/28 Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:
>> I just had a thought.
>>
>> What if we simply put an always running AIDA/Scribo admin web page on an
>> uncommon port. This way if the setup is running headless or on another
>> machine an admin page can be always available to start and stop
>> AIDA/Scribo sites and apps as desired.
>>
>> This admin should always be on and running and independent of any other
>> AIDA/Scribo site or app. It should be aware of all AIDA/Scribo sites and
>> apps that are installed or available to be installed and configured.
>>
>> This way the UI is put into skill set of those who use and develop
>> AIDA/Scribo and would also be available to any of the Smalltalks running
>> AIDA/Scribo. It could be built to handle any and all website
>> administration, installation, configuration, etc. functionality the
>> community wants.
>>
>> Just wanted to put that out there.
>>
>> Jimmie
>>

>> Germán Arduino wrote:
>>> Not much time, however I talked something with Nico and he told me
>>> that should be better to avoid using any framework (I was thinking in
>>> use EasyMorphicGUI or even MCTool).
>>>
>>> Then I found some free minutes, and tried to build something with pure
>>> morphic, and I have something like the screen attached. Not work yet,
>>> but is only and idea, to know if may be useful or not.
>>>
>>> Let me know.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

garduino
Well, the job is almost finished.

A pic is attached and the details on my blog
(http://germanarduino.blogspot.com).

HTH.

2008/10/28 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Germán Arduino wrote:
>> Well, I asked Janko when he posted this mail about the sort of UI (web
>> or desktop) and he tell me that prefer desktop.
>>
>> Being desktop not a big problem to execute, if you have VNC running on
>> such image.
>>
>> But, I think that Janko and Nico should respond :)
>
> I like to have just a very simple GUI app for a end user to start a web
> server and guide them further by providing an url which should open
> next. This url will then open a full website, also with configuration
> and admin web apps for more advanced configuration.
>
> I like Jimmie's proposal and I thought many times already in that
> direction.  We really need some "neutral" website to add new sites, for
> instance.
>
> But this is already an advanced feature, let we finish this newcomer
> guidance first: a simple GUI app just to start website, where url is
> listed to guide user to open next. On the web side we need to finish
> newcomer friendly configuration, specially the most common one like
> changing hostname/ip/port of the default site.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

>> 2008/10/28 Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:
>>> I just had a thought.
>>>
>>> What if we simply put an always running AIDA/Scribo admin web page on an
>>> uncommon port. This way if the setup is running headless or on another
>>> machine an admin page can be always available to start and stop
>>> AIDA/Scribo sites and apps as desired.
>>>
>>> This admin should always be on and running and independent of any other
>>> AIDA/Scribo site or app. It should be aware of all AIDA/Scribo sites and
>>> apps that are installed or available to be installed and configured.
>>>
>>> This way the UI is put into skill set of those who use and develop
>>> AIDA/Scribo and would also be available to any of the Smalltalks running
>>> AIDA/Scribo. It could be built to handle any and all website
>>> administration, installation, configuration, etc. functionality the
>>> community wants.
>>>
>>> Just wanted to put that out there.
>>>
>>> Jimmie

> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

sc2.jpg (36K) Download Attachment

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

Nicolas Petton
Le mercredi 03 décembre 2008 à 15:28 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :
> Well, the job is almost finished.
>
> A pic is attached and the details on my blog
> (http://germanarduino.blogspot.com).
>
> HTH.

Wow, great German!
Thank you for this nice addon :)

I will include it in the next one click image.

Cheers!

Nico

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

Nicolas Petton
...and if someone is interested, the scribo console can be downloaded
from Scribo repository: http://scribo.aidaweb.si/repository/

Nico

Re: A little GUI app to start/stop Scribo, any takers?

garduino
Thanks Nico, I'm glad of help!