A little HowTo

Torsten Bergmann
Yes, but #canBeRoot should return "true" instead of "True".

Otherwise it will return the Boolean subclass "True" instead of
its sole instance "true" and the code will not work.

Thanks
Torsten

Re: A little HowTo

Bernat Romagosa
woops! corrected it, thanks :)

2009/4/1 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
Yes, but #canBeRoot should return "true" instead of "True".

Otherwise it will return the Boolean subclass "True" instead of
its sole instance "true" and the code will not work.

Thanks
Torsten

You shoot me in a dream, you'd better wake up and apologize.

Re: A little HowTo

Randal L. Schwartz

Torsten> Yes, but #canBeRoot should return "true" instead of "True".
Torsten> Otherwise it will return the Boolean subclass "True" instead of
Torsten> its sole instance "true" and the code will not work.

Also, #canBeRoot is *strictly* for the admin GUI.  If the application already
registers itself programmatically (which yours does), no need for #canBeRoot.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: A little HowTo

Julian Fitzell-2
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Torsten> Yes, but #canBeRoot should return "true" instead of "True".
Torsten> Otherwise it will return the Boolean subclass "True" instead of
Torsten> its sole instance "true" and the code will not work.

Also, #canBeRoot is *strictly* for the admin GUI.  If the application already
registers itself programmatically (which yours does), no need for #canBeRoot.

True, though it's a bit confusing to go into the UI (could be either the web or OB UI eventually) and see a root component selected that is not in the list of possible UI components (and this could potentially cause problems with some UIs when saving the form -- not sure if it actually does at the moment or not).

I think it's currently good practice to tag the expected root components of your application with #canBeRoot -- if nothing else it helps document how your application is supposed to be used.

Julian