classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A little help with EnterprisePharo book

jvalteren@objectguild.com
Hi all,

I'd like to be able to build the EnterprisePharo book, so I might contribute to it with some improvements. However, the README seems to be out of date. 

The 'download.sh' file mentioned under 'Download Pillar' is not there. There's a 'subdownload.sh' file, but that doesn't do or output anything, and looking into it, the URL returns a 404 (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh).

So I manually cloned the pillar git project from https://github.com/pillar-markup/pillar. I checked out tag v7.7.4, since that was mentioned for Pharo booklets. Building that works, resulting in a pillar 'executable'.

However, after installing MacText, executing 'pillar build pdf' fails with the message: FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/jvalteren/git/EnterprisePharo/_support'. Looking at the structure created by the command 'pillar archetype book', it seems that '_support' is the new name for the 'support' folder that does.

So, I created a symlink from '_support' to 'support' and tried building again, but that fails with the message: KeyNotFound: latexWriter. This seems to be related to the contents of the 'pillar.conf' file.

Instead of trying to guess what's going on and try different things to fix this and get it built, I thought to reach out here :-)

Can anyone tell me what to do so I can start making changes to the book?

I'm on macOS Catalina by the way, so 64-bit only.

Thanks!

Jonathan van Alteren
Founding Member | Object Guild B.V.
Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A little help with EnterprisePharo book

Stéphane Ducasse
Hello

Hi jonathan

I have to check because this is the first book we wrote with Pillar.
Normally with more recent books I add a build to produce automatically the pdf (but I have to check because latex is sometimes super boring 
-like not offering the same packages). 

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to build the EnterprisePharo book, so I might contribute to it with some improvements. However, the README seems to be out of date. 

What you can do is to issue PRs if they break we will 

The 'download.sh' file mentioned under 'Download Pillar' is not there. There's a 'subdownload.sh' file, but that doesn't do or output anything, and looking into it, the URL returns a 404 (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh).

So I manually cloned the pillar git project from https://github.com/pillar-markup/pillar. I checked out tag v7.7.4, since that was mentioned for Pharo booklets. Building that works, resulting in a pillar 'executable'.

However, after installing MacText, executing 'pillar build pdf' fails with the message: FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/jvalteren/git/EnterprisePharo/_support'. Looking at the structure created by the command 'pillar archetype book', it seems that '_support' is the new name for the 'support' folder that does.

Yes. between pillar 6 and 7 we revisited fully the pipeline and the configuration managed and many more. 

So, I created a symlink from '_support' to 'support' and tried building again, but that fails with the message: KeyNotFound: latexWriter. This seems to be related to the contents of the 'pillar.conf' file.

What we can try is to copy the _support file of a more recent version + edit the config and index/main.pillar files. 
I will be try to find some time this evening. 

Instead of trying to guess what's going on and try different things to fix this and get it built, I thought to reach out here :-)

First send a PR so that it is not lost. 

Thanks!

Jonathan van Alteren

--------------------------------------------
Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle 
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

jvalteren@objectguild.com
Hi Stéphane,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try some things and let you know how they go.

Cheers,

Jonathan van Alteren

On 22 May 2020, 08:49 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Hello

Hi jonathan

Normally with more recent books I add a build to produce automatically the pdf (but I have to check because latex is sometimes super boring 

Hi all,

Yes. between pillar 6 and 7 we revisited fully the pipeline and the configuration managed and many more. 

What we can try is to copy the _support file of a more recent version + edit the config and index/main.pillar files. 

Thanks!

Jonathan van Alteren

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley, 
Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
I did not have the time…. working on spec book all week-end until late.

On 25 May 2020, at 11:18, Jonathan van Alteren <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stéphane,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try some things and let you know how they go.

Cheers,

Jonathan van Alteren

On 22 May 2020, 08:49 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Hello

Hi jonathan

Hi all,

Thanks!

Jonathan van Alteren

Stéphane Ducasse
03 59 35 87 52
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,