A new critical blog discussing Seaside - now concrete proposals

1234

Re: Swazoo, VisualWorks, and Seaside 2.8

Carl Gundel
Apache is great, and I use it myself.  However for my market Apache is
only for advanced users.  I must provide a super-easy out of the box
experience.

-Carl

On Apr 20, 2009, at 3:54 PM, James Robertson wrote:

> Apache is what I meant
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Carl Gundel wrote:
>
>> Thanks James.  When you say URL rewriting, do you mean with Apache,
>> or is this something that is build in to the Opentalk server?
>>
>> -Carl
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2009, at 3:40 PM, James Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> Carl,
>>>
>>> You can establish shorter entry points.  I covered "static" entry
>>> points here:
>>>
>>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=seaside_tutorial11
>>>
>>> I know this is covered in other Seaside tutorials; that's where I
>>> found the info in the first place :)
>>>
>>> Additionally, using url rewriting, you can advertise any url you
>>> want.
>>>
>>> James Robertson
>>> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
>>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>>> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Philippe Marschall
2009/4/20 Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>:
> Apache is great, and I use it myself.  However for my market Apache is only
> for advanced users.  I must provide a super-easy out of the box experience.

Just to understand your situation better: You distribute your Seaside
application to your clients and they run it on their machines? If so
do they run it on their desktop machines or on their servers?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Swazoo, VisualWorks, and Seaside 2.8

Carl Gundel
Both.

-Carl Gundel
Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:43 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]
 > wrote:

> 2009/4/20 Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>:
>> Apache is great, and I use it myself.  However for my market Apache
>> is only
>> for advanced users.  I must provide a super-easy out of the box
>> experience.
>
> Just to understand your situation better: You distribute your Seaside
> application to your clients and they run it on their machines? If so
> do they run it on their desktop machines or on their servers?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Programmatically replacing a session with a new session

Nevin Pratt
If a Seaside site detects a possibly hijacked session, it would be nice
to programmatically replace their session with a new session, and
otherwise continue.  I realize that enough information would have to
exist in the URL so that a new session could be built pointing to the
right point in the website, but that's not the problem for me.

I'm not sure how to programmatically, and transparently, replace a
session with a new session, so that the user doesn't otherwise even know
that it happened.  Right now I immediately expire the session, and so
they get the usual "session has expired" message, with the web app (by
itself) then goes to the app entry point with a new session.

How do I make this process more transparent, so that the user isn't even
aware that the session has been switched out from under them?

Nevin

Re: Programmatically replacing a session with a new session

Lukas Renggli
> How do I make this process more transparent, so that the user isn't even
> aware that the session has been switched out from under them?

Override WASessionProtector>>responseNotVerivided in your custom
subclass and redirect to the current URL with all Seaside parameters
removed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Programmatically replacing a session with a new session

Nevin Pratt
Again, just to follow up on my own post, right now I just do a

   ^self session redirectTo: SystemResources machine , self
currentRequest nativeRequest url

And of course, the url had been previously built via #updateUrl:

That means if I detect a session hijacking, I redirect the hijacker.
But it leaves the original "authentic" user alone, since it is just the
hijacker that gets redirected.

Nevin

> If a Seaside site detects a possibly hijacked session, it would be
> nice to programmatically replace their session with a new session, and
> otherwise continue.  I realize that enough information would have to
> exist in the URL so that a new session could be built pointing to the
> right point in the website, but that's not the problem for me.
>
> I'm not sure how to programmatically, and transparently, replace a
> session with a new session, so that the user doesn't otherwise even
> know that it happened.  Right now I immediately expire the session,
> and so they get the usual "session has expired" message, with the web
> app (by itself) then goes to the app entry point with a new session.
>
> How do I make this process more transparent, so that the user isn't
> even aware that the session has been switched out from under them?
>
> Nevin

Re: Programmatically replacing a session with a new session

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Programmatically replacing a session with a new session

Also see my implementation of session re-keying on seaside dev couple of months ago if you only want to change session key.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

2009/4/21 Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>:
> Both.

That's an uncommon use case, so I'm sorry to say that Seaside
currently is not optimized for this. However I have some pointers for
you:
1. if you set the name of the default dispatcher to '' the you should
be able to get rid of '/seaside''
2. I assume you can register WAExternalFileLibrary at whatever path
you want, for example '/files'
3. if you use the #resourceUrl: feature of Seaside then you have
control over what prefix should be applied to resources

With these together you should be able to reduce the path to:
 http://localhost:7777/files/myfile.png

Cheers
Philippe
1234