A non scientific report on Amber speed under Nodejs versions

1 message Options

A non scientific report on Amber speed under Nodejs versions

gokr
Hi!

Just installed 0.6.2 of Nodejs (that is the version I now get with
apt-get) in my Ubuntu instead of the old 0.5.6-pre and tested benchfib:

0.5.6-pre
=========

Amber: 8.5 million bytecodes/sec; 143k sends/sec
Javascript: 2276m bytecodes/sec; 1.7m sends/sec

NOTE: Crazy fast bytecodes in js, not sure if correct. The important one
is sends for Amber, which is fairly slow.

Full make of Amber:

real 1m18.415s
user 1m17.270s
sys 0m1.090s

0.6.2
=====

Amber: 7.5 million bytecodes/sec; 750k sends/sec
Javascript: 2234m bytecodes/sec; 736k sends/sec

Full make of Amber:

real 0m48.796s
user 0m47.530s
sys 0m1.110s

NOTE: Ehm, js is slower on sends and Amber faster? Another thing, I
probably botched the full make under 0.5.6 - it was probably even
slower... BIG real world improvement there!

0.6.7
=====
Amber: 8 million bytecodes/sec; 750k sends/sec
Javascript: 2234m bytecodes/sec; 790k sends/sec

Full make of Amber:

real 0m50.022s
user 0m48.670s
sys 0m1.280s

NOTE: The sends in Javascript sometimes pops up to 1.8m so... this bench
is probably a tad b0rken. :) But no big change from 0.6.2.

Summary
=======

If you use a node as old as 0.5.6 or older - upgrade now! :)

regards, Göran