A point about pharo: the red line

1 message Options

A point about pharo: the red line

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi pharoers

We want to stress something that may seem obvious for us but that can may be not for you and that people attending ESUG
could discover live :) lucky them :) But you will be able to  watch the video and get an idea soon.
What is important is that it can explain a lot of our actions and future actions. Here is a list of statements that I tried to make short.

- We do pharo because we want to create an ecosystem for companies and research/innovation.

- We don't do pharo for fame and fans else we would do ruby or hard-rock. :) (ok probably ruby)

- We want to build a powerful open-source community.

- Every single node in the community is important.
        So yes you doing your little project in your corner you are important. Why? Because a community is a synergetic beast and we are all cool because the community is cool.
        So you are also important to us.
        For example if you want to give a lecture on pharo, we can help. if you want to do presentations, we can help,
        if you have problems/ideas let us know.

- Often we do actions not because we want credit but just because somebody has to do it: seaside book, esug are to other examples of why we did pharo. Because we need a power rocking hyper cool beautifully designed system. (I know some of you think that I'm lousy and I use too much cool but this is what I mean)

- We believe in strong elegant beautiful infrastructure: fix the stuff so that you can go faster to build the next one.
We did that with Moose: offer to software engineering researchers a foundation to focus on problems versus rebuilding each time a clean source code meta model and importer. Infrastructure will give us the leverage to build the next generation.

Stef and other pharoers