A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

jamesl
Hi Pharo-ites,

> I'm working on a port of Pharo to the Java Virtual Machine called Redline Smalltalk.
> (read more here: http://jamesladdcode.com/?p=323)

>> Excellent I think that having a smalltalk running on JVM is cool. Did you check SqueakOnJava?

I have looked at these implementations, Bistro and others.
However, I'm wanting to get as close to native JVM Bytecode as possible.

>>Why do you want to port the compiler in Java?
>>In Java you should only implement the necessary infrastructure to run the object model of Pharo (primitives
>>in particular). Then you can load Smalltalk code and you do not need
>>to compile smalltalk code in smalltalk?

A good point, but I'm not sure how that approach would allow profiling, debugging and
integration with Java. This is outlined a little in the previous post:
http://jamesladdcode.com/?p=311

>> study little Smalltalk for example to get an idea.
Would it be sufficient to choose those classes that are also outlined in the ANSI standard?

Rgs, James.

Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK

Re: A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 4, 2010, at 2:16 AM, James Ladd wrote:

> Hi Pharo-ites,
> >
> > I'm working on a port of Pharo to the Java Virtual Machine called Redline Smalltalk.
> > (read more here: http://jamesladdcode.com/?p=323)
>
> >> Excellent I think that having a smalltalk running on JVM is cool. Did you check SqueakOnJava?
>
> I have looked at these implementations, Bistro and others.

Bistro is something different to SqueakOnJava.

> However, I'm wanting to get as close to native JVM Bytecode as possible.

which means?
I would first make sure I understand a Smalltalk vm before starting to generate JVM bytecode.

>  >>Why do you want to port the compiler in Java?
> >>In Java you should only implement the necessary infrastructure to run the object model of Pharo (primitives
> >>in particular). Then you can load Smalltalk code and you do not need
> >>to compile smalltalk code in smalltalk?
>
> A good point, but I'm not sure how that approach would allow profiling, debugging and
> integration with Java. This is outlined a little in the previous post:
> http://jamesladdcode.com/?p=311
>
> >> study little Smalltalk for example to get an idea.
> Would it be sufficient to choose those classes that are also outlined in the ANSI standard?

oh no. :)
This is why you should study squeakOnJava, and other Smalltalk implementations.
Take the squeak mini 2.2 image or littleSmalltalk (which run on java already and you will see what you need).

Stef

> Rgs, James.
>
> Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK _______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

Alexandre Bergel
Hi James,

I do not know how related is it to your work, but I made some
experiment to translate Smalltalk into Java (http://www.squeaksource.com/Smalltalk2Java.html
).

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

jamesl
Hi Pharo-ites,

> Would it be sufficient to choose those classes that are also outlined in the ANSI standard?
>>oh no. :)
>>This is why you should study squeakOnJava, and other Smalltalk implementations.
>>Take the squeak mini 2.2 image or littleSmalltalk (which run on java already and you will see what you need).

I will look at the implementations you have suggested.

Rgs, James.

Find it at CarPoint.com.au New, Used, Demo, Dealer or Private?

Re: A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

jamesl

> I do not know how related is it to your work, but I made some
> experiment to translate Smalltalk into Java (http://www.squeaksource.com/Smalltalk2Java.html
> ).
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Its related and I will look into how I can use it.
Of course, this is one those things I wish I knew about a while ago :)

Rgs, James.

Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!

Re: A port of Pharo: Redline Smalltalk ...

gerard alis
Someone knows the posibilities of implement a Smalltalk environment in MONO .NET? I see projects like
http://ajlopez.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/ajtalk-a-smalltalk-like-interpreter/
or too
http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/

but I will like know the guru´s opinion.

Regards.

On Apr 5, 2010, at 7:27 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> Someone knows the posibilities of implement a Smalltalk environment in MONO
> .NET? I see projects like
> http://ajlopez.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/ajtalk-a-smalltalk-like-interpreter/
> or too

> http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/

John brant is the father of the refactoring browser.
He did this experience to understand the problem for example of integer representation and others

Stef